Epic Games Takes on Steam

It is now confirmed that Shenmue 3 is refusing to refund backers.

Imgur

I am not touching any games from Deep Silver and Ys Net in the future, anti consumer scum don’t deserve business from consumers.

And I will not be backing anymore game since these Kickstarters are treating backers as a risk free, interest free, no repayment business loan instead of an actual backers.

1 Like

Yeah, heard about that. Sounds pretty sleezy, not to mention they got a publisher right after Kickstarter, if I am not mistaken. Not that I was interested in the Shenmue games anyway.

Rumor on the Internet said they took money from Sony, then get Deep Silver as publisher then took more money from Epic.

They are triple dipping at this point

Edit: They also took money from Shibuya Production, so quad dipping.

Yeah the whole “no refunds” thing stinks badly, mainly because with the Epic deal there’s no way (barring any complete f*ck ups) that they’re so low on cash that they can’t afford refunds.

No backer backed for a Steam copy.
During KS campaign, it was only question of Digital copy with no indication of using Steam or something else to distribute that digital copy (could have been their own launcher, humble bundle or gog to pick several solutions that were often chosen at that time).
Steam was only picked as a solution several years later.
They since choose another solution but it doesn’t change anything for the backers.

Seems they’ve settled a second cheat seller lawsuit.

Well Epic Games Exclusivity Deals are being backfired, lol. Giving Steam more exposures.

Not a fan of EA Games, but it is a ironically good move from a company which is so excessive anti-consumer business practices. But still, welcome back EA to Steam.

Edit: I don’t even think Epic bribery can satisfy EA high money expectation from their regular monetization basis habits.

Are you sure tho… doesn’t seem like they were doing anything on Epic or did I miss something… I see this at the end of the article tho:

With EA’s new philosophy of putting its games where players are, one might wonder if those games could show up on other storefronts like the Epic Game Store. According to Blank, they are “open to new partnerships,” although there’s nothing specific to announce at this time.

PR is EA latest Risk Factor. Maybe returning to Steam is trying to gain back some Positive PR. I know they also going to Epic for not making them looking only siding with Steam. Think this, if EA only release on Epic, will they really solve their PR nightmare? Make sense.

Edit: Btw, which one benefit the most? Epic or Steam? Seem Steam is getting more benefit from it.

I find this piece interesting:

As for who is benefiting more I think the view is muddled with all the controversy and constant shitposting Epic-haters are doing on Steam sub-forums - constantly divebombing on any developer with a presence on Steam who also happens to have an exclusive with Epic. The Epic haters are very loud making them seem bigger than they really are but I suspect business is going good for Epic.

I fail to see how Steam entering a “partnership” with EA is any different than an exclusivity deal because that’s exactly what it is. It’s also a very clear sign that EA is getting desperate. If Epic can get hate for it then Steam should as well. And as the article above points out, consoles have been doing it for years. Business is business and shit changes over-time.

It should also be noted that as a result of Epic’s store entering the fray Steam responded with a developer cut restructuring as well:

With that in mind, we’ve created new revenue share tiers for games that hit certain revenue levels. Starting from October 1, 2018 (i.e. revenues prior to that date are not included), when a game makes over $10 million on Steam, the revenue share for that application will adjust to 75%/25% on earnings beyond $10M. At $50 million, the revenue share will adjust to 80%/20% on earnings beyond $50M. Revenue includes game packages, DLC, in-game sales, and Community Marketplace game fees. Our hope is this change will reward the positive network effects generated by developers of big games, further aligning their interests with Steam and the community.

… a change which heavily favors big sellers/publishers/developers but doesn’t do anything to help most indies. In EA’s case I wouldn’t be surprised if there was further backroom haggling going on between the two.

Someone giving Steam a handful to mess with is only a good thing imo. And if you think Epic’s tactic isn’t working you’d be wrong.

Satisfactory, which is still in early access, has been Coffee Stain’s “best launch ever,” selling more than 500,000 copies in its first three months on sale. That’s likely helped by the massive popularity of Epic’s Fortnite, and the fact that the store boasted more than 85 million users mere months after it launched.

EA coming back to Steam is, what else, all about the money. Note that to run new EA games you will need to run their own store, Origin, in the background at all times. Ubisoft has been doing the same thing for years with UPlay. Neither of these publisher owned stores are in my opinion worth having, but they’re forcing them on us in a bid to make them relevant. If you force players to have your store installed, some might in time buy games from them directly, so they don’t have to pay Steam (or Epic for that matter) a cut. That’s the real goal here (aside from those stores being semi-spyware…).

I was actually wondering about that. That’s a shame.

epic store is terrible just like origin is terrible, steam has a monopoly position but yeah i agree ofcourse with more money going to the developers on the other hand i am quite content in how steam works

I love Epic Games because they are always giving free games. I don’t need to buy games because of it, I’m just waiting for every free games that they will give. If Epic Games will takes on Steam, I hope that some of the games in Steam will become free also because I have a lot of games there that I want to purchase but I don’t have enough money.

So, I imagine that much to the dismay of EGS-haters everywhere:

It would appear that their store (and their bank account) is doing just fine over this past year.

Also…

The free games will be continuing on thru 2020.

lawl, not surprising actually. And given Epic are giving a better deal for publishers and devs in terms of revenue they’re not that bad.

Hopefully now though valve will finally pull their arses out of their heads vis steam and offer devs a better deal. Unfortunately given valve’s dislike of doing actual work when it’s “boring” and loving getting fat off the unearned bounty of steam that may not happen until it’s too late.

Hasn’t been a whole lot of Epic related news lately, but this just came in…

Will be FREE for 24 hours upon its initial release on Epic (Aug. 13th)…
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-on-epic-games-store/

Also of note: a month old Eurogamer article I just wandered onto says that Epic revealed that it is sporting over 61 million monthy active users with an “average peak concurrent users on PC figure of 13 million.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-23-epic-games-store-hits-61m-monthly-active-users

So It seems they are doing well with their tactic, whether you are a fan of it or not. Sure, I imagine a good number are showing up for all those free goodies - then again when you are pulling those numbers you can easily infer that a sizable percentage are also purchasing on the platform.

While Steam still edges them out, the gap is closing. Going to be interesting to see where things stand another year from now.

Im becoming a huge fan of the Epic Games Store, its becoming a powerhouse of a distribution and hopefully one day it will be as good if not better than Steam.

Also Crate needs to sell their games on the Epic Games Store, I want to make Epic Games my main platform from now on… I have faith that they will dominate Valve and put it into submission one day…

Steam needs to dethroned for the betterment and welfare of the players and the buying public

I don’t really agree with that statement el_critico, While Steam is very dominant at the moment. By dethroning steam, Epic will then be a single dominant platform, and will have a monopoly that will be even more then steam is now. both platforms can coexist. you have one single platform, you will will start to hate Epic then as much as you hate steam now.

I dont understand your hatred of steam, at least steam is still a good platform for the most part. while epic is still a long way on even been that good. sure they have money, but everything else, they fall behind on.

Competition is healthy, a single entity isn’t. And plenty of examples on that, on why its bad. Microsoft windows for example, and how bad they have become, including their latest windows 10 updates that end up breaking stuff.

Steam needs to survive. and I hope it does. All this trying to throw money at getting games, isn’t doing Us the consumer much good. I have yet to buy anything on epic, and I may not. But I really don’t like the way they been doing business over the last few years, But if they do become top dog, they will just become a powerhouse that will control the market, and the consumer will suffer. And again, plenty of evidence on that too. Again M$ is a great example of that.

2 Likes