[1.0.0.8/9] Beginner-Friendly 2H Lightning Elementalist: "The Storm Bolter"

Take up Primal Strike to 4 points, then work on Storm Surge which will help a lot for single targets. Better weapon will help too, as will a few more points in Wendigo Totem in time.

The full Kraken devotion will also help a TON with single-target damage.

Thanks!

What’s more important - weapon DPS or max weapon damage?

Probably weapon DPS. I wouldn’t stress over it too much in the early game TBH.

Will be updating build guide in OP with augments and components sometime today :slight_smile:

Great Guide! I’ve already gotten up to lvl 51 with no probs. I was wondering what your thoughts were for going with the crab devotion; I’m deviating a little from your recommendation for it. The extra elemental damage and resists seem to make it a good fit for this build…

My build so far: http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-nfoSvT

I’m also debating exchanging wendigo totem for storm totem…thoughts?

Thanks!

Crab, despite its recent buffs, doesn’t fit this build particularly well I don’t think. The updated Barrier is interesting and more resists + elemental damage are always good, but the physical damage bonuses are largely wasted. Plus Obelisk of Menhir is frankly superior thanks to the stun resistance.

Dropping Wendigo for Storm Totem seems like the wrong call. Storm totem fits this build thematically, but to be frank it’s not a great skill…they do very poor damage in my experience and do absolutely nothing for our survivability. Wendigo, while its damage is still crap, goes a long way in keeping us alive.

You know, I’ve been wanting to make a build like this, but I wonder whether its possible (with enough gear maybe) to do without Wendigo Totem. It just feels annoying to me to have to pop down a totem every fight. Any ideas?

Battle space preparation is a constant as you get farther along in the game. If you weren’t popping down the totem every fight, it would be something else. Wind devil and the totem have very similar cooldowns, so I keep those hot keys next to each other and keep calling them as soon as the cooldown is over. After a while, you don’t even think about it.

I just saw this build and it is exactly what I am looking for! I got some previous tips on making a Witchblade, but lightning just strikes my fancy :slight_smile:

GREATLY appreciated that this is noob friendly. Leveling, each devotion point, EVERYTHING laid out and easy for me to understand. After leveling this I feel like I will have the knowledge to try out my own build.

Thanks so much!

I’ve been building an Elementalist, myself, this patch.

Gazer Man really tapers off, around level 55 without stat allocation, lol.

That, and so does PS, sans U4+SR.

Well… yeah so does PS fullstop.

I’d been debating going Stun Jacks & Skyfire, as Skyfire is an excellent CC that knocks down more than you might think, but was really debating what to do for STD (no Occultist-o).

Does Benorath’s component compete with Savagery, given a single Element build such as this?

I regret not having used it much as yet.

I also missed out on the glory days of BMs, obv. :frowning:

Blame Hellgate London for my unreasonably high resistance towards attempting anything Nightblade, for so very long.

That, and Demos.

I’ve been building an Elementalist, myself, this patch.

Gazer Man really tapers off, around level 55 without stat allocation, lol.

That, and so does PS, sans U4+SR.

Well… yeah so does PS fullstop.

I’d been debating going Stun Jacks & Skyfire, as Skyfire is an excellent CC that knocks down more than you might think, but was really debating what to do for STD (no Occultist-o).

Does Benorath’s component compete with Savagery, given a single Element build such as this?

I regret not having used it much as yet.

I also missed out on the glory days of BMs, obv. :frowning:

Blame Hellgate London for my unreasonably high resistance towards attempting anything Nightblade, foe so very long.

That, and Demos.

Gotta wonder about using that Aether Lightning Jewelery set, and toting a VoS, too…

Yeah I’ve never tried to make gazer man work, and with so many good sets that require you to wear chest armor then I don’t see myself using it any time soon :undecided: IIRC Shard of Beronath is inferior to savagery in terms of lightning damage, but I can’t remember where I saw the math behind that so take it with a grain of salt.

Glad to hear this build and guide are working out well for you, thanks for the kind words and good luck!

Thank you so much for taking the time to make this guide. Have only sunk about 5 hours into the game. I choose demolitionist as i like explosions (lol) but even at level 15 i am struggling with the abilities i have choosen. This was before i googled ‘demolitionist builds’ and came across this great forum. Am working away all week but when i get home on the weekend will start a new toon specifically to try this build so i can have some fun as well as hopefully learning some of the mechanics so i can make my dual wielding pyromaniac demolition toon :smiley:

probably going to try this build soon, have you changed anything that hasn’t been updated in the first couple posts? thanks for the guide, it is much appreciated

DW firestrike pyro is another fun build that you could respec the demolitionist into. That said, I’m glad to hear this build looks fun to you and thanks for the kind words :slight_smile: good luck and enjoy!

Nope. The core of the build guide has not changed since I first made the post; The only changes have been fleshing out some of the details.

So, my only concern right now is the respec at level 55. This being my first character, will I have enough to be able to respec that many point? It’s pretty much the entire Primal Strike path to respec which gets me worried.

hi,
I’m stuck in your devotion list you said buyback Jackal but Jackal is bounded with behemoth so I can’t buyback Jackal.,

Any clue what I miss here?

I replied to this question via PM but I’ll post my answer here as well in case anyone else wanted to see it.

With full Behemoth and 1 point in the red crossroads, you will be able to buyback Jackal. But note that you MUST leave the point in the red crossroads for this to work. This is why the devotion guide in the OP keeps a point in the red crossroads until you can finish up Kraken (and getting 2 more red points so you can buy it back).

New player trying out your build.

How do you feel about going Scholar’s Light instead of Hawk? I don’t know how the +% elemental damage compares to the +% crit damage and +% OA.

Sorry for the slow reply on this -_-

Hawk definitely beats out Scholar’s Light; We really don’t need the energy regen from SL after switching to Savagery and the bonus elemental damage is okayyy but not wonderful. Especially since there’s so little of it.

Hawk, by comparison, means we can get away with investing a bit less in cunning so we can focus on more phys so we can stay alive longer. Plus, bonus crit damage is arguably the best DPS stat at endgame…more OA is always nice as well!

Hey, thanks a lot for this build! i started playing a few days ago and i couldn’t find any up-to-date easy build to start with. I really appreciated the leveling tips too, i’ll definetely try this build next week :slight_smile: