[1.0.2.1] Conjurer Pet Retaliation Build

is this shield still available?

Completely new to this game and only have a level 7 soldier, with no clue where to put points so he is going down the drain and i think I will try and follow this build.

Spend 2000 plus hours in path of exile, but it looks like this game is somewhat complex to if you want to dig deeper.

Still have a lot to read up on about factions, crafting, etc.

Could this build be a nice first character for learning the game and start hoarding loot for future characters?

i know I will prolly make mistakes on the way up, and that’s why I always have tons of alts, but this game looks like it could provide a lot of fun hours.

Thx for the guide.
Will pop in later and let you know how the build is for totally new player :slight_smile:

You’ll have issues filling out resists if you use dual mythical briarthorn band. When you ask whether an equipment slot change is viable, it’s always good to ask yourself what would you be replacing to obtain that slot. The other equipment pieces are more important than the briarthorn band, so it’s the most expendable.

Send me a PM with your Steam information.

Pet builds are a double-edged sword: it’s always nice to have a minion attack your enemies so you can view and understand their attack patterns without you yourself getting hurt. On the other hand, pet builds are known for being fragile, and until you get the legendary equipment required, you may struggle with doing enough damage to hurt enemies and may see your pets dying constantly. There are a few “Beginner’s builds” threads in this forum that can perform adequately with simple faction + crafted gear; those would be much more suitable for first builds than a build that specifically requires legendary sets such as this one. Typically Soldiers are the easiest classes for people to get themselves acclimated with the game due to how tanky they are and how powerful Physical damage is as a whole, so if you’re struggling with a Soldier, you may have a rude awakening going from super-tank to fragile pets.

You do remind me though that I need to update the OPs with equipment alternatives for people who are farming areas of the game looking to find the Beastcaller’s Set pieces, that may take a while to get through, though.

Reached level 30 far and dying once a in a while.
Mostly when i just jump into everything and don’t pay attention to my life and just spam fireblast while pets jump bosses.
It’s just a few bosses that i had to run/attack,run/attack to beeing able to kill them.
Most i just facetank, but i recon it’s just because im only level 30 i can do that.
I suspect it get harder later on.

Gear wise i don’t know what is good or not good to pick up, so i try to get some with damage to pets, health for myself and cast speed for my fire blast.

I don’t have bought and of the 2 DLC’s so far.
Thought i would finish the main story in the basic game and then buy the 2 DLC’s
Is there something i need in those DLC’s while levling the basic game?`

worst problem i have is i can’t keep track on which shrines i missed on the way through the map.
I can see a shrine on my map with an X on it so i know that one is not finished yet, but don’t know which ones i missed on the way that is not showing on map.

But i guess i will count the finished shrines in the end of act 1 and see how many i miss.

But guide works well so far :slight_smile:

Does the skill need to hit a certain point to be able to use 2 briarthorns? The skill still shows 1 summon only for me.

Getting two briarthorns requires you to have the full “mythical beastcallers set” which can be found here. https://www.grimtools.com/db/itemsets/82

The non mythical set does not give you a 2nd briarthorn.

Awesome thanks a lot. I only have the normal ones so far

I went and did some testing with an Elementalist instead of a Conjurer to see if there was a distinct difference between the two. Not having Blood of Dreeg to heal everyone is certainly a PITA, but Flame Touched + Temper is extremely good for pets with its flat Physical + Fire damage and flat OA boost, and the with Golemborn Greaves, you get over 3K armor, which is nuts for a pet build.

As long as you place your Wendigo Totems well, you’ll be able to keep your pets alive even without BoD. Kuba’s obviously a pain in the rear end, but as long as you clear out the trash along your kiting path, you’ll be able to wear it down between Thermite Mines, BWC, and tactically timed Conjure Primal Spirit assaults.

Elementalist Pet Retaliation Build

Differences to note:
Boots - Fiendlesh Greaves are replaced with Golemborn Greaves for Pierce resistance, the huge armor boost, and bonuses to Temper.
Weapon - Since you have BWC for flat resistance reduction, Malmouth Stormcaster is used in its place for pet OA and +Skills for both classes.
Shield - Skyreach Bulwark is used for +Skills for both classes, Physical Resistance, and Elemental Resistance.
Rings - BiS Prefix for your Living Ring is Thunderstruck as it handles necessary resistances, especially Stun Resistance. Second ring is Bladetwister for valuable RR for both your pets primary Physical damage with secondary Pierce Retaliation (you can use this ring combo for the Conjurer as well).
Belt - Mythical Voidmancer’s Cord is used for the Vitality Resistance and to get 22/12 on Primal Bond, which is - bar none - the most important thing for your pet build to have.
Devotions - I replaced Turtle with Bull. While the nodes leading up to it are useless, the devotion proc - Bull Rush - is great to bind to your two Briarthorn pets as the high weapon damage and low CD makes it a great AoE boost for your pets.

Hi,

O started this build yesterday…but the killing speed is extreme slow(for a pet build)okay pets almost never dies but myself having big trouble to survive,because of the slow killing…and that is at level 35 veteran

I took this build (the Crucible Conjurer version) and ran 100-150 to see how the new pet buffs and blessing affect the build, and holy smokes with the new blessings, I ran a train through it. Time was roughly around 35-40 minutes and kept the 10X multiplier the whole time right until Wave 150, and that was because I let Moose get too close while fending off Fabius and Iron Maiden, so I had to kite and had the multiplier run out while escaping the freeze Crystals. Even then, all I needed to get out safely was a Health Potion, so with the new Celestial buffs (Ulo for player/pet resistances and Might of Amatok for the DAMAGE), it’s an easy Gladiator farmer for sure.

I am considering an alternative devotion set-up that should keep our pets at a good survivability while taking advantage of both the full Beastcaller’s set for offense and the Mythical Briarthorn Band for maximum Retaliation:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/m238RzBV

Compared to the Crucible farmer on the first post, you lose Turtle, 10,000 Damage Absorption, and Tree of Life, but you gain a second Briarthorn, +5 Conjure Primal Spirit, a nice Knockdown proc in the Light of Empiryon node, and higher + more consistent pet retaliation. Losing Tree of Life might be painful, but I never felt my pets were in serious danger, and having the Knockdown proc + 2 Briarthorn Ground Slams should be much better in clearing away crowds that end up surrounding me.

Note that I do replace one Mogdrogen’s Blessing augment (in the amulet) with Mender’s Powder. Even with the Celestial Blessings, I want to make sure that my pets’ Aether and Chaos resistances are comfortably overcapped, especially when they’re going up against monsters like Anasteria. If you’re not terribly concerned with Crucible, you can keep the Mogdrogen’s Blessing augment. Keeping your pets alive in Crucible to take maximum benefit from the Amatok blessing is well worth the augment change.

Thanks for the update, the shield is excellent.
Can you kill Mog and Ravager with updated build?

Lightning Pets are far more suited to killing Mogdrogen, as the Voidmancer’s Cord gives your pets an easy 100% Resistance to Lightning (+ the other elemental resistances your pets have). I haven’t tried Ravager with any pet build, so I can’t say anything on that regard.

Updated the OP Grimtools, Devotion Guide and Leveling Guide. Pictures will come at a later time.

More Crucible testing update: I went through the gauntlet on a few different maps with Extra Spawn to see how well I can handle having a lot of enemies swarming me at once. I used the old standard that other Crucible farmers were testing:

• Crucible of the Dead with Extra Spawns
  • No Banners
  • 2 Buffs (Ulo and Might of Amatok)
  • No Damage Consumables (I used a single health potion at Wave 150)

I purchased the 2 buffs at Wave 120 - the blessings ran out right at Wave 150 [Fabius + Valdaran + Zantarin] and that’s not much fun. That means my initial estimate of 35-40 minutes was pretty accurate. No mobility skills means that finding a specific mob that’s hiding in the back spawning all sorts of adds is a bit of a pain, but the testing proved what I was seeking to know: you can practically facetank the waves and don’t have to worry about kiting so much. Just position yourself enough to avoid unnecessary ground damage and to maneuver your pets toward your intended target.

Some further things to point out:

• If you’re wondering whether Light of Empyiron is too weak of a T3 constellation to be considered for pet builds, you don’t have to worry - I love this constellation. Necromancers don’t care about this constellation because they have 10+ Skeletons that can body-block all the enemies that come their way. Conjurers don’t have that luxury, so the extra resists the constellation nodes give and the guaranteed knockdown with minimal downtime is huge. Conjurers biggest weakness - being surrounded by hordes of enemies + AoE pools and not being able to escape - is largely mitigated thanks to this constellation (that’s not a license to be completely cocky and stand in the middle of everything, good maneuver is still required, but you won’t die if you make a mistake).
  • We have a good mix of offense and defense here - Primal Spirit Crits for around 90K without the buffs, and I confirmed a 93K Retaliation hit on Fabius also without buffs. :cool: Primal Spirit has a longer cooldown than Call of the Beast, so you can spam Call of the Beast whenever it’s off cooldown and you’ll get a good amount of cleaning done even without the Primal Spirit.
  • The no banners, 2 buffs challenge was geared more towards how people tested Gladiator previously. You’ll still replenish your tributes if you buy a banner as long as you do at least one 130-150 run after that, so there’s no reason not to buy a banner at the start - you’ll get the money back and then some selling all the loot you get from your victory. Still, if you blow Tributes trying your luck at Gladiator 150+, it’s nice to know you can safely farm those Tributes back by doing the no banner, 2 buff 100-150 without much trouble.
  • As long as you keep a Wendigo Totem around your pets and Blood of Dreeg active, your pets are in no danger of dying, especially with the Ulo buff. I personally prefer buying the blessings at 130 because as long as you have the banner, there’s nothing that threatens you from 100-130 and I like not having to worry about the blessings running out like you would if you bought them at Wave 120. The only thing that I might see being a threat is if you keep Sentinel alive too long at Wave 149. Double Zantarin is always a pain, but as long as you target the Death Revenants first when you’re done clearing the other monsters in the area (and don’t jump right into the shotgun attack), the threat will pass harmlessly.
  • I can’t say I know for certain how well having 12/12 Ground Slam is working out. I heard pets use their special attacks quicker and with more frequency and I keep the Briarthorns close by in case someone nasty charges me, so I think it’s worth the investment. Dog having a point in Ember Claw is good too so that the flat RR from Valepiercer hits more targets (I removed the point from Hellfire and placed it on Ember Claw).

Here is my Conjurer:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/wV1PJg72

Gladiator 100-150 - very reliable with 2 buffs / no banners.

Ravager of Mind - took me almost 25 minutes to beat him and then when he had about 1-2% of health i lost concentration and he killed me. Fight required to re-summon the pets constnantly.

Mogdrogen - unfo no, stun resist is bad, i don’t have green pants/boots with proper resists and i don’t have desire to farm them.

Lokarr - not quick, but safe and reliable

Tried Gladiator 150-170 with 4 buffs and defensive banner, reached 170 and died under Reaper of the Lost attacks.

Reaper and Alexander are the most dangerous for my build, even Fabius, Kupakabra, Iron Maiden, Teodin Marcell and usual guys (Benn’Jarr, Moosilauke, Valdaran) are manageable.

I don’t have Mythical Valepiercer, cannot decide between Mythical Black Hand of Sanar’linn (+2 to Briarthorn +2 to Hellhound) and Mythical Black Scourge (+2 Manipulation, + Bonds of Bysmiel).

Empowered Grimoir of Og’Napesh is crafted via Angrim so i have pierce resist on it and on Mythical beastcaller Cowl, actual problem is Vitality resistance which sits at 63%.

Could it be the reason of my problems with Ravager/Reaper of the Lost?

I have one Mythical Glyph of Kelphat’zoth, do you think it’s worth to equip it instead of one Wendigo Conjurer seals?

I don’t like Harp Constellation, to be honest, the setup with Staff of Rattosh gives you enourmous amount of HP - almost 20k in Campaign, but right now i decided to drop Staff of Ratosh, red/yellow nods and side nodes in Tree of Life in order to get Light of Empyrion together with Hound:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/62aw5YEZ

What do you guys think needs to be improved in the build in order to clear 170?

Do you have a Mythical Ring of the Black Matriarch? That will not only shore up your Pierce resistance and give you extra Vitality resistance, it will directly help your pets’ DPS by granting additional Physical RR. Without Valepiercer, you don’t have any source of flat RR, which could explain why someone like Ravager takes so long to fight. The only flat RR source available to you is Aethersteel bolts, though you’d have to swap around a few components and augments to get your resistances back in order.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNYDKEBZ

This set-up may help a bit, as between the Aethersteel Bolts and the Ring, you’re getting an extra 25% RR you didn’t have before, which should help you out in damage. Resistances are a bit touchy, but I did the best I could to shore up all the resistances while keeping your proposed devotion changes.

Thank you for reply.

I don’t have Mythical Ring of Black Matriarch, unfo, and spamming Aether tendril is not what i would really like to do as i get enough aggro by casting Cure of Frailty to trigger Shepherd’s Call.

Regarding resistances: actually i don’t know why Grimtools doesn’t show it correctly ( or maybe i missed something), but i actually have 85% pierce res and abt 68% Vitality resistance, that’s my main problem now - and that’s with Mythical Voidmancer Cord which gives 27% Vit resistance.

By the way, do you think Mythical Shadowfiend Cord is better for Conjurer? M Voidmancer Cord gives Vitality resistance and Primal Bond is 22/12 with it.

Regarding rings: i think Mythical Glyph of Kelphat’Zoth + Mythical Voidwhisper Band would help to fix resistances.

I wanted to put Binds of Bysmiel into Armor but perhaps i will have to put Sacred plating in it to solve resistance problems.

I have Black tallow in Amulet and Aether Soul in medal - both give relevant resist AND less damage from chaos/Aether respectively, would not want to drop it but i believe will have to insert Seal of Ancestry to get 20% Vit resistance + Damage absorption.

Have been farming the territory around entrance to Port Valbury for a long time but still did not get a decent Fleshwarped shield with +damage/+attack speed for pets :frowning: got one with +14% hp and +% defensive ability, perhaps will need to try that for Crucible to see if it’s OK to lose one pet for extra defense/resists.

How do you handle Reaper of the Lost?

Regarding relic: did you try Bysmiel Domination and Mogdrogen Ardor?

I notice that Swarmlings don’t do much at fights with Lokarr/Ravager as they are killed quickly and the rest of content is cleared safely without them as well.

I find it funny that you need to go so deep in details/set-up only to be able to clear 170/Ravager/Mogdrogen, the rest of content is rather safe to do - or maybe it’s just the power of properly built Conjurer :slight_smile:

I was going to suggest Mogdrogen’s Ardor, and it looks like you beat me to the punch. Ravager especially, as you can never have enough Armor when fighting it.

Primal Instinct fits my particular build more thematically as it has additional pet Retaliation and gives me enough Skill bonuses; if you’re not going that route, I would definitely suggest Mogdrogen’s Ardor and - as you have enough DA - use the completion bonus and fish for whatever resistance you don’t have.

I like Shadowfiend Cord as pet Pierce resistance is hard to come by and the pet OA + Occultist skills helps sweeten the deal a bit. It does have a heavy weakness that it grants no resistances, however. If you craft Mogdrogen’s Ardor, then Voidmancer’s is definitely the better option, assuming you think your pets’ offenses are good enough to get consistent crits. Malmouth Arcane Girdle is another option, as it gives you Vitality Resistance, +Primal Spirit, and you can craft a prefix / suffix that gives you either good resistances or better pet bonuses.

I’m more interested in updating my guides and my multiple alternate build ideas, so I haven’t tested this one too thoroughly in 150-170 Crucible yet. Once I play it further, I’ll report how to handle Crucible threats.

Thank you.

I definitely need to get Mythical Veilpiercer as weapon to help with RR (if you come across it, pls let me know) and to find Blueprint for Mogdrogen Ardor (25% stun res as completion bonus would be nice), and the belt slot is an open position for me so far, will see.

Also i believe the defensive setup is the way to go, frankly speaking, i can’t imagine how pet Conjurers survive in Cruiible 150-170 when the go for red-blue or green-purple routes, but anyway, those guys have better skill than me, obviously.

Checked Mythical Grimoir of Og’Napesh and comparing to my Empowered one the Revenant has same health and only 100 base damage increase, in my opinion it’s not worth to waste points in spirit in order to equip it.

I attempted a few 150-170 runs, 3 buffs, no banners, Crucible of the Sands.

Observations:

• You definitely want a Stormcaller banner, or else you risk losing your blessings at 170 :frowning:
  • As always, go for the healers (the named healers in 161 are in your mid-left in Sands, and there are a bunch of healers in 168 that I didn’t realize until all the Heros were healed fully multiple times) and the names that spawn adds (Wave 161 has multiple Overgrowth Heroes that spawn multiple adds in addition to the Healer names). Use your Primal Spirit + Call of the Beast burst damage to delete the healers + Heros / Bosses that spawn adds before you have to deal with wave after wave of trash mob just to re-engage the Heroes.
  • Save your bursts for the start of a major wave (AoM Nemesis Wave or 2-phase people that you want to burst the first form down quickly), you have to make sure you can delete as many major problem enemies as possible so you can time your damage floors with a lightened wave load.
  • For Wave 159, blitz the Sentinel. The last thing you want is to have the Sentinel turn your pets against you while you’re trying to avoid all the other Boss enemies.
  • If you’re not prepared and have a burst ready to take down one of them, Double Reaper of the Lost can be a run-killer, due to how many Wraiths they spawn and how hard they hit. 1 Reaper is definitely doable, but 2 is too much.

I thought I had Wave 170 in the bag, as I killed Kupa and had Alex down to around 10-20% HP. Then he tactical nuked my pets (I thought I positioned myself under the arch to nullify the meteor but he somehow positioned it to blow up every single one of my pets at once) and I died. :mad:

I’m not going to let that bother me, I’ve seen enough to prove that definitely with 3 buffs + 1 banner and potentially without the banner, this build is 170 viable. This is with the Primal Instinct Relic, by the way - you definitely want the extra pets to blitz the problem areas when the wave starts.