[1.0.2.1] The Night King: Pet/Vitality Hybrid Cabalist. 5s MQ, 3.5m Glad. Necro & Devotion Guides

If you don’t have any of the level 70 relics and you already have Stormbringer, then yes Eye of the Storm is your best relic option.

I find it helpful to leave 1-3 as is, bind 4-6 to QWE, and bind the rest to various mouse buttons/wheels. This way, every key is quickly and easily accessible.

Between having pets steamroll most enemies in the campaign so fast and there being a huge wall of pets in front of me, I never even noticed anything unusual about the Arcane mobs until people on the forum complained about their dispel mechanic. So… not vulnerable at all.

1. Post your GT so we can see what you’re working with, and what you’re still missing.
  2. Plug your build into the provided Max Pet Damage Calc and compare it against the reference build’s calc stats in each category (note that the calc has already been updated to 1.0.3.0, which is why the calc will be a more accurate comparison than the video). If you’re interested in comparing max crit values, the key stats you’ll want to compare between the posted calc and the calc for your build are:[ul]
    [li]Your skeletons’ starting stats (as determined by your Raise Skeleton skill);[/li]
    [li]How much additional flat damage you’re adding;[/li]
    [li]Your +% lightning mod (+% all to pets has far less correlative power to final DPS for this build than +% lightning)[/li]
    [li]Your final lightning RR amount, including your spellblade roll; and[/li]
    [li]Your final crit multiplier with all procs up.[/ul][/li]I’m willing to bet that the above list will explain 90% of the deviation, with the remaining 10% due to how consistently you’re able to maintain/stack/reset temporary buffs.

And how much does faster resummoning of our 1 base point blight fiends add to our DPS, versus the increased DPS from having the +1 skills allowing us to reach 26/16 skeletons and another skeleton from reaching the Undead Legion breakpoint, the additional flat damage bonuses to ALL pets from both necro and occultist, the global CDR to improve uptime on Shepherd’s Call, Hungering Void, Call of the Grave, faster skeleton resummons, etc etc? Which set of bonuses better match up with where the DPS of the build is actually coming from?

+1 to all skills isn’t necessarily the best pure-DPS bonus, but builds require a certain minimum of skills to function and the Clairvoyant’s Hat provides desperately needed skill points (and CDR) that are far more valuable than the OA and the CD bonus on blight fiend.

Mythical Crown of the Serpents and maximum blight fiend resummoning simply aren’t worth it for this build because those aren’t where the build’s needs are. It could instead be a great item for a build with overleveled blight fiends, or for a ritualist build, or for a acid/poison pets (instead of lightning pets) build, etc. Not every great pet item belongs on every great pet build.

Hi DaShiv

Once again ty for a very detailed guide, I can learn so much from the game working through them.

Here is my link for my current setup

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/b28nO3DZ

Any tips/ideas or improvements will be appreciated
Thank you
Gogga

I’ll keep thinkering with it and post a grimtools.

As a benchmark, how much +% dmg, +%crit and +% OA do i shoot for on pets?

my skeletons are currently lvl 26, the build is almost identical though it looks like i have more +skills on my gear than the GT you posted

Thank you very much for this fantastic guide, it is very well written and incredibly articulate. I hope to be able to ask several questions about it here, if this is the correct place (and if not, any hints where I should ask instead are greatly appreciated). I’m hoping my questions are good enough to be useful for others to read, once you answer them :wink:

To contextualize my questions (and as a way of giving additional praise): This is the first full guide (of this kind) that I have read – I am new to GD, and I prefer to start new games and try out as much as possible before following anything too closely, but your guide just fettered me, it is just too good not to read thrice, which I did. I noticed while reading for the second time, that there is so much in GD that is counter-intuitive, not just in the fine print of the mechanics. I mean also this: I like ARPGs, and even though I am not particularly skilful, I guess I am a veteran; I usually play summoners, at least at first, or summoner hybrids, because they usually represent the playstyle I like (snipers, basically; I usually ranged in traditional RPGs), because that’s how I started out in D2, because they intuitively make sense (why not let someone else fight for me) and because in almost all other ARPGs I have played, a summoner is usually the one which requires the LEAST amount of knowledge and gear (you need an awesome weapon to rock as a warrior, and you better know the mechanics of leech and reflect and whatnot to make sure you can sustain hits and mana etc.). That just doesn’t seem to be quite the case with GD.

So I suppose (1) my first question is: Your build isn’t really for beginners, is it? I am on my first playthrough, and I just passed the Coven in Veteran mode, and had up until now basically just followed my instinct, playing a cabalist focussed on summons. And I am pretty much crushing everything without much trouble, just doing my thing. Yet from what I now gather, this is to be expected, and Ultimate will be very different; my intuition is enough for Veteran, but then I’ll be stuck. And to get unstuck, I’ll need to delve as deep as you have been delving. And see: maybe summoner is so different, that if I want to play what I want I’ll need to change significantly? You write:

>> Suggestion: If you want to play a character that maintains a static army of permanent pets with high health/resists to tank for you, play a conjurer instead. Skeleton builds are specialized for maximum pet DPS regardless of casualties, and these builds operate best as offensive machines for which ALL pets are treated as expendable resources. The primary job of skeletons is to inflict damage as fast as possible, and NOT to survive indefinitely or to protect you! If you’re investing into making your skeletons tanky, then you are GUARANTEED to underperform compared to an offensively-optimized skeleton build.

The related question is: (1b) So you are not only constantly checking your cooldowns and doing your buffs and debuffs (like I am doing now), but constantly re-summoning your minions (like I am NOT doing now)? My skeletons don’t die that often, and my “permanent” ones (my Blight Fiend doesn’t have the transformer, then I have a Crab from a relic, a fire spirit from an epic off-hand, and the raven and the hellhound) die only sporadically, mostly to those weird AoE ground effects. How do you push all the buttons? How do you bind so many keys? What are your keybinds? Do you have to toggle between both sets often? I wonder if I have the skill for that, and instead need…
(1c) a Conjurer? Like, Briarthorn and Hellhound? Those can be my army? Do you have a build in mind?

My [u]second question /u: I didn’t even understand what Devotions are until near the end of Act 1. I was then under the mistaken impression that they are a little icing on the cake, the meat of which must come from Masteries and to a slightly lesser degree items. But you pros seem to consider Devotions inherent to a build’s damage output; now, they almost seem to me to be similar to the Passive Tree in Path of Exile: build-defining (but useless without active skills). If so, then I need to respec out of my ad-hoc intuition and look at T3s. I was aiming for Tree of Life, since I had thought that my army from my Masteries would be enough; now I know better. You sing the praises of Dying God, but do not mention (explicitly) the necessary steps needed to sustain health regen. What are those? Is BoD supposed to be enough? If I am too weakly skilled a player to manage all my CDR optimally (as your choice of Time Dilution lets you do), can I instead go for a weaker, more beginner-friendly “version” of “your build” and take another explicit pet T3 (like Modrogen) or Tree of Life (thus less CDR and thus keeping the standard (non-anomaly) version of Blight Fiend etc.)?

Third Questions are simply and revolve around skill choices: (3a) If you have all those +skills items, why not put one point in Blight Burst or Foul Eruption? Then (3b) you write about Ravenous Earth:

>>An AOE damage ability with good uptime and lots of multiple hits. This makes it very useful as a 1-pointer to proc both devotions that require continuous refreshing (such as Shepherd’s Call) or devotions with low/no cooldowns (such as Twin Fangs).

I get it. I think I was doing that, with Bloody Pox. So what makes my choice of Bloody Pox for the same purpose suboptimal? I had specced into it very early, and like it because of auto-spread (fire and forget, nice QoL for lower-skilled people like me) and no cooldown.
I find Bone Harvest hard to use because of its range. Any tips?

Last Question: You have all these great suggestions for items, a lot of which can be crafted. I haven’t found the blueprints to most of this, but even the crappy ones for which I HAVE found the blueprints I can’t readily make (Finally manage to make Hysteria, I think it’s called, which I am currently using for pet bonus Crab). Where am I supposed to get all the stuff to make the crappy relics I need to craft the better relics? Am I supposed to run back to A2, for example, and try to farm Manticores in the hopes of finding their “eyes”?
Thanks tons! Hope I am not detracting too much from the pro-debate here.

Is this build beginner friendly?

How about an update for the most recent patch?

You already have Deathchill so that’s the biggest boost you’ll receive to the build at that level. In general, the priority is simply to level as fast as possible at the lower levels, and your current setup should allow you to easily blow through content at your level.

Quick point of efficiency: generally it’s best to keep Undead Legion at 12, 16, or 20.

There’s no particular benchmark because the value of improving all of those depends quite a bit on a) how much you already have, and b) how much you have in the other DPS components.

Basically, you’ll want to invest in whichever area provides the best returns for your build at the current moment:[ul]
[li]Flat damage[/li]
[li]+% damage[/li]
[li]RR[/li]
[li]Crit/OA[/li]
[li]Attack speed[/li]
[li]Pet count[/ul][/li]For example, a 5% increase in any of those could look like 20 more flat damage, or +150% more lightning damage, or 10% more attack speed, or 1 more skeleton from Undead Legion, and so on. To a first order approximation, they’d all provide comparable improvements to DPS.

In other words, trying to hit predefined benchmarks is far less useful and effective than taking an accurate picture of what your build’s DPS factors look like, and then accurately assessing where you can improve most efficiently.

The endgame gear requirements are actually quite friendly compared to the other top-tier builds on this forum:[ul]
[li]Unlike other conversion builds, our primary conversion item is a faction item.[/li]
[li]There is no legendary set that you have to complete for set bonuses before the build becomes functional.[/li]
[li]Most of the mythicals are used for their stats and not for their item skill modifiers, so the lower non-mythicals can easily be substituted.[/li]
[li]The survivability on the build doesn’t come from equipment-specific armor values or procs, but instead from devotions and pet usage. This means that unlike some other builds, your survivability isn’t centered around finding certain items; instead, better equipment mostly helps you clear faster (although decreasing average enemy lifespan does increase summoner survivability as well).[/ul][/li]It’s not the easiest build to play necessarily, but that’s more about the player’s general ARPG aptitude IMO than experience with Grim Dawn. There are GD vets who will struggle with this build, and there are skilled ARPG players who are completely new to GD that can pick this build up no problem.

Yes, there’s an extra level of management, almost like playing an RTS game. You can also look into using keystroke macros to help with task automation (such as refreshing buffs).

Both the Pokemon and Pet Retaliation builds are designed for AoM and are conjurer-based.

That’s because there are numerous ways of meeting the health regen penalties of Hungering Void. If you look through the build forums for the builds that use it, you’ll find lots of different strategyies For this build, BoD + Giant’s Blood (with near-constant uptime via TD) quite easily provides us with +400 health/s even during Hungering Void.

If you’d like to play without TD, I’d suggest looking into either the “simplified” version of this build discussed in the “Analysis” section of the guide, or use the Skelemancer build instead. You’ll notice that both of these builds still use Dying God - as discussed in the Pet Devotion guide, Dying God is by far the best T3 pet devotion for a pet cabalist.

And where do you propose taking those points from?

Keep in mind also, that: (a) Foul Eruption only procs when the summon can successfully steal a kill from pets using Ravenous Earth, and (b) when using Unstable Anomaly, Blight Fiends may not even have the chance to cast a single Blight Burst before they expire, and certainly never more than one.

Bloody Pox works great with Twin Fangs, but I used Ravenous Earth instead because: (a) using RE, Twin Fangs will much more reliably fire into the thickest part of enemy packs for far better leech instead of toward some random straggler, and (b) given the build’s extreme point shortage, at low investment levels the % damage reduction from Decay was more valuable than a small amount of OA shred from Wasting.

Just wait until you try crafting your first Mythical relic.

The only thing to say, really, is that there’s a pretty fair amount of farming and collecting involved with GD crafting.

Not for a couple of weeks at least since I’m currently overseas on business.

When narrowing down relics, which one is the most optimal out of the two?

I’m undecided between Bysmiel’s domination or Dirge. Dirge’s pet is nice but it is so slow, i love it because im a pet hoarder.

I recently noticed that Bysmiel’s proc actually give physical resist on top of all the crazy bonuses, makes it very attractive. The +15% OA is also amazing, but lacking the +1 necro skill and an additional tanky pet.

Thank you for the nice and detailed build :smiley:

I have one question regarding the recent nerf of the spellblade.
(Major Nerf) Blueprint - Master’s Spellblade: reduced All Resist Reduction to 15 (Note: Was 25 base RR.)

I’m currently 47 and have a Salazar’s Sovereign Blade. Taking into account the future CDR Reset I may come across on items, is it still worth the lose of my Harbinger pet for the 12 RR of Adept and after that, the 15 RR of Master ?

I’m currently level 74 with this build and I’m finding more benefit from the resist reduction than I ever got from the Harbinger (used Sovereign Blade for some time myself). Keep in mind that once you get the Plaguebearer’s prefix on your master spellblade, you’ll be looking at 30+ RR, not just the 15 from the base item.

Thank you Thaelyn, I though the Plaguebearer was giving the whole bonus (so a max of 15 with the nerf).

If it’s indeed 15+15 from the prefix then yeah it looks far better :slight_smile:

The posted build uses Primal Instinct, so that’s probably the relic I’d consider optimal for this build.

Pre-nerf it was 25+15 = 40 average, 49 max roll (using the mule-crafting method). Post-nerf is 15+15 = 30 average, 37 max roll (mule-crafting).

Thanks for your helpful reply!

I wasn’t asking if the build was beginner-friendly regarding its gearing aspects, but rather because of the skill required in order to play it. Hence my question as to how you bind your hotkey buttons. I don’t see how a human can do all of that. Won’t you need

• CoF
  • Reap Spirit
  • Bone Harvest
  • Ravenous Earth
  • Skeletons
  • Blood of Dreeg
  • Mark of Torment
  • Call of Grave
  • Blight Fiend
  • Sovereign
    all the time? and
  • Hellhound &
  • Raven
    at least every now and then? Possibly you’ll want a hotkey for a consumable?
    That’s a lot of buttons to be constantly pushing. How do you do it?

I’m not really sure either. I have 2 skills bound to my side mouse buttons and use 1-6 on keyboard for constant button pressing + E/R for potions… And I don’t think having temporary 8 second Blight Fiends is necessary for the build, I just have the normal one going as there are already too many other button presses you must constantly be doing.

im not sure i understand the reason for plaguebearer master spell blade… sry im still fairly new to grim dawn. how do i know if i crafted a good one. what are the stat #'s we are looking for?

The master’s spellblade is in the build for enemy resist reduction (RR). That’s the only stat on your spellblade this build is looking for. The spellblade itself has an average of 15 RR, with the Plaguebearer’s prefix the RR goes up to an average of 30 RR and a max of 37. You, according to the guide, should be aiming for a plaguebearer’s master’s spellblade with 32 RR or better.

i got one 32rr roll and a 30rr… but both for 5sec… good enough or should i be trying for longer duration? i had pretty bad luck rolling plaguebearer’s it took quite a bit to get

I dont believe the duration is variable, so I’d go with the 32 and call it good. I’ve crafted about 275 of them and gotten one plaguebearers with a roll of 31. Sticking with that for now, hehe.

Are there special places where to get the pants and the boots? I haven’t dropped them so far, despite them being green items.

For people struggling with skills(the number canbe a bit overwhelming), I use a macro software provided with my mouse and i do the following: i bind all summons to one button,all attacks to the second, and i put all “permanent” passive skills on the second skill bar.

Doing this way and removing the spirit potion from the skill bar, i have just enough keys for all the skills from this build.
In my case , right click= pet attack. Mouse Wheel:all the special attacks+buffs.

Boots are crafted. The pants are an MI drop available from the Guardian of Bysmiel (one of the boss enemies in the Hidden Path quest line, farmable once you get past them in the quest). The pants also have a chance to drop in Crucible, if I recall correctly.

the ass long summon animation for skeletons and blight fiend is so fucking long you literally wait 2 seconds until it starts attacking something, makes the whole class/mechanic anti fun to play why cant it be like summon hellhound it really cripples the play style of re summoning Skeletons
meanwhile u getting chased down by an x99 movement speed Boss