[1.0.5.0] The Blade of the Luminari - 2h Melee Elemental Mage Hunter

The Blade of the Luminari
2h Melee Elemental Mage Hunter

GrimTools

Campaign: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/8NK0M7W2
Crucible: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkgxEqN (WIP)

With the buff Aura of Censure received it has become a must use for many Inquisitor builds. This build is no exception. The campaign Grim Tools use Aura of Conviction for the OA boost to make itemization a bit easier. You can swap Aura of Conviction for Aura of Censure once you feel you have enough +OA items to crit boss monsters and trigger Deadly Aim consistently.

Status

I really struggle getting the loot I need in GD. I still haven’t managed to get Mythical Iskandra’s Focusing Prism or Vestments. My current build.

[spoiler]
Screenshot of legit character with Deadly Aim active, using Aura of Censure even though I probably should be using Aura of Conviction for the OA bonus

Screenshot of cheated test character created with GDStash with Deadly Aim Active

(big screenshot)
Gladiator Crucible wave 170 cleared with cheated test character
[/spoiler]

I’ve done some experimenting on another character using items crafted with GDStash to complete the build per the GrimTools linked above. I have cleared Gladiator Crucible successfully with this test character. I did waves 1-150 with no buff/no banner, and waves 151-170 with 4 buffs. I have also soloed Lokarr and Grava’Thul successfully with this test character.

Offense

[spoiler]Primary Damage Dealers
Most of our damage comes from Fissure bound to Inqusitor Seal and Arcane Devastation (granted by Mythical Arcanor, Blade of the Luminari). Some additional damage is added by Word of Pain + Elemental Storm and Beronath’s Fury attacks. Almost all of our damage is AOE, so we can destroy large packs of enemies very quickly.

Resistance Reduction

• Ignaffar’s Combustion: -10% Elemental Resistance
  • Olexra’s Flash Freeze (5/12): -43% Fire Resistance (ineffective against boss monsters)
  • Elemental Storm: 32 Reduced Target’s Elemental Resistances for 2 seconds
  • Inqusitor Seal: -10% Elemental Resistance (via Mythical Arcanor Blade of the Luminari)
  • Viper: 20% Reduced target’s Elemental Resistances for 3 seconds
  • Aura of Censure (15/12): -36% Elemental Resistance

With Aura of Censure: ~108 RR With Viper
Without Aura of Censure: ~72 RR With Viper

Offensive Ability
We want to have at least 2750 OA to get an initial crit to trigger Deadly Aim. Once Deadly Aim triggers we will have 3200+ OA, which is enough to crit consistently against any enemy.

Reduced Defensive Ability
19/16 Storm Box of Elgoloth gives us a -130 Defensive Ability AOE debuff which lasts 5 seconds, with a cooldown of <2 seconds. Seal of Annihilation gives us another -70 Defensive Ability debuff, but it only triggers off of 3/20 crits, and is thus a bit unreliable.

+% Crit Damage
Both Inquisitor and Arcanist skills give a lot of +% crit damage. We end up with +98% crit damage when standing in Inqusitor Seal with Deadly Aim is active.

Energy
Arcane Will, Word of Arms, and 160% energy absorption means we will almost never run out of energy. Some bosses which are resistance to energy absorption may require us to chug a potion or two.[/spoiler]

Defense

[spoiler]Damage Absorption

• Maiven’s Sphere of Protection (21/12): 24% damage absorption.
  • Inquisitor Seal (15+/12): 260-300 flat damage absorption, depending on whether or not you’re using Mythical Signet of the Runefather.

Resistances

• 41%+ Physical Resistance when using Aura of Conviction
  • 1904 armor and 95% armor absorption
  • 87% Elemental and Vitality resistance
  • 84% Poison, Pierce, Bleed, Aether, and Chaos Resistance
  • Core resitances (with the exception of Poison/Bleed) are 10% overcap or more
  • Prismatic Barrier gives an extra 15% physical resistance and +35% to all core resistances
  • 73% stun resistance in campaign, 78% in Crucible with Buff

Debuffs

• 20% Reduced Damage with Aura of Censure
  • -70 Offensive Ability from Annihiliation

Circuit Breakers

• Arcane Will: Triggers at 70% health. Gives +70% to all damage and +8 Energy Regeneration/Second
  • Ghoulish Hunger: Triggers at 45% health. Gives 85% ADCtH, +22% Attack Speed, and 18% Physical Resistance
  • Divine Light: Triggers at 30% health, restores 15% of health and gives 100% damage absorption for 3 seconds.

Health
This build has between 12K and 13K health when Word of Renewal is active. This is enough to feel comfortable against most enemies.

Weaknesses
Enemies that cast Nullification (such as Grava’Thul and Arcane Hero monsters) can ruin your day. Be extremely cautious when fighting them. If your buffs get wiped kite away and recast Maiven’s Sphere of Protection and Aura of Conviction/Censure first.[/spoiler]

Devotions

• Bind Elemental Storm to Word of Pain
  • Bind Fissure to Inquisitor Seal
  • Bind Arcane Currents to Arcane Devastation

Gearing

[spoiler]Weapon

• The Conduit: Great for leveling. There are both Empowered and Mythical variants.
  • Prismatic Eviscerator: Decent choice if you don’t have “The Conduit”. There is an Empowered Variant.
  • Mythical Arcanor, Blade of the Luminari: Best in slot. The build is built around this weapon.
  • Shard of Beronath: Best in slot component. We don’t have a good skill to replace our left click attacks, so this is a really good choice.
  • Blessed Steel: Decent component for leveling. Can make weapons which deal physical damage viable to use.
  • Haunted Steel: Decent component for leveling if you need more ADCtH.
  • Potent Creed’s Cunning: Best in slot augment. (Black Legion)
  • Potent Malmouth’s Soul: Decent augment if you need more pierce resistance. (Malmouth Resistance)

Rings

• Malmouth Arcane Seal: Great starter ring. Provides elemental damage, health, attack speed, and good resistances. (Malmouth Resistance)
  • Mythical Eternal Band: The resistance reduction doesn’t stack with Elemental Storm/Viper, so it’s pretty useless. The Skill Disruption Protection makes it OK, but the Malmouth Arcane Seal is generally preferable.
  • Mythical Lorekeeper’s Band: Gives +2 to Inner Focus and Aura of Conviction, making it an OK choice. The Malmouth Arcane Seal is usually still better.
  • Mythical Lifegiver Signet: Gives lots of Life Steal. Decent choice if you don’t have a better option.
  • Mythical Signet of the Runefather: Gives lots of resistances, increases maximum vitality resistance, gives health, and gives a ton of damage. To top it all off, it gives +2 to Inquisitor Seal. This ring is a strong contender for best in slot.
  • Mythical Seal of the Blazing Inferno: Gives a huge amount of OA, some fire damage, and some chaos resistance. It’s the best epic ring if you’re using Aura of Censure.
  • Living Ring: Great MI ring which provides health, elemental damage, and vitality resistance. Look for affixes that provide good OA and DA (Stalwart, Aggressive, etc.)
  • Cronley’s Signet: Great MI ring which provides attack speed and pierce resistance. Look for affixes that provide good OA and DA (Stalwart, Aggressive, etc.)
  • Corpse Dust: Good component for leveling.
  • Mark of Illusions: Decent alternative component to Runebound Topaz until you have enough materials for crafting.
  • Runebound Topaz: Best in slot component.
  • Sylvarria’s Essence: Decent augment if you need more poison resistance.
  • Survivor’s Ingenuity: Best in slot augment.

Amulets

• Empowered Essence of Beronath: Decent option if you’re having trouble finding Iskandra’s Focusing Prism.
  • Peerless Eye of Beronath: Decent option if you’re having trouble finding Iskandra’s Focusing Prism.
  • Empowered/Mythical Serenity Stone: Gives health, +% max resistances, and +1 to all skills in Inquistior. Great option if you’re having trouble finding Iskandra’s Focusing Prism.
  • Mythical Iskandra’s Focusing Prism: Best in slot for set bonus, +4% maximum all resistances, and +205% elemental damage.
  • Sylvarria’s Essence: Decent augment if you need more poison resistance.
  • Survivor’s Ingenuity: Best in slot augment.

Medals

• Mythical Mark of Divinity: Best in slot for health, circuit breaker, and reduced damage from aetherials.
  • Wendigo Eye: Can be better than Mythical Mark of Divinity if you get good affixes. Look for drops that give health, defensive ability, offensive ability, and resistances.
  • Black Tallow: Best in slot for chaos resistance and reduced damage from Chthonics.
  • Aether Soul: Decent alternative to Black Tallow if you’re low on Aether resistance when leveling or die on gladiator crucible wave 169 too often.

Helms

• Mythical Spellgaze: Decent option if you’re having trouble finding Iskandra’s Hood.
  • Mythical Iskandra’s Hood: Best in slot for set bonus, resistances, flat elemental damage, and +% damage.
  • Leathery Hide: Best in slot component in campaign for stun resistance.
  • Living Armor: Best in slot component in crucible for offensive ability, chaos resistance, and armor absorption.
  • Prismatic Diamond: A great component worth considering for Crucible if you don’t need the OA/resistances from Living Armor and want to make farming a bit more consistent.

Shoulders

• Elite Coven Arcane Mantle: Great starter option. (Coven of Ugdenbog)
  • Mythical Cortosian Scrolls: Decent option if you haven’t found Mythical Shoulderguards of Justice or a good MI.
  • Mythical Shoulderguards of Justice: Best in slot for set bonus, health, armor, and physical resistance.
  • Iron Maiden’s Shoulderguard: Great MI option. Look for affixes that gives health and resistances.
  • Scaled Hide: If you don’t need more aether/vitality resistance this can be a good option to reach 100% armor absorption.
  • Ancient Armor Plate: If you don’t need more aether/vitality resistance this can be a good option to reach 100% armor absorption.
  • Sacred Plating: Best in slot component.

Chest Armor

• Elite Wendigo Spellweaver Chestguard: Decent starter option. (Barrowholm)
  • Elite Coven Arcane Vestments: Great starter option. (Coven of Ugdenbog)
  • Mythical Astral Robes: Decent option if you don’t have Mythical Iskandra’s Vestments.
  • Mythical Shroud of Illusion: Good option if you don’t have Mythical Iskandra’s Vestments.
  • Fateweaver’s Raiment: Good option if you don’t have Mythical Iskandra’s Vestments.
  • Mythical Iskandra’s Vestments: Best in slot for set bonus, health, and +2 to Maiven’s Sphere of Protection.
  • Chains of Oleron: Decent alternative to Hallowed Ground if you need more offensive ability.
  • Titan Plating: Good alternative to Hallowed Ground if you need more pierce resistance.
  • Hallowed Ground: Best in slot component for +% Defensive Ability.

Gloves

• Mythical Runesigned Handguards: Decent option when leveling.
  • Mythical Chilling Grip of Hagarrad: Decent option if you’re missing one of the Justicar Guard set items.
  • Mythical Light’s Defender Gauntlets: Great option if you’re missing one of the Justicar Guard set items.
  • Mythical Handguards of Justice: Best in slot for health, attack speed, pierce resistance, and set bonus.
  • Restless Remains: Best in slot component unless you can get 10% Life Steal without it.

Belts

• Malmouth Arcane Girdle: Decent starter option. (Malmouth Resistance)
  • Mythical Blazethread Sash: Decent option if you don’t have Mythical Phantom-Thread Girdle.
  • Mythical Ulzuin’s Torment: Decent option if you don’t have Mythical Phantom-Thread Girdle.
  • Cataclysm’s Pact: Good alternative to Mythical Phantom-Thread Girdle.
  • Mythical Phantom-Thread Girdle: Arguably best in slot. Almost all of the stats on this belt are great for us.
  • Antivenom Salve: Decent component if you don’t have enough materials to craft Ugdenbog Leather.
  • Ugdenbog Leather: Best in slot component.

Pants

• Mythical Runeward Leggings: Decent option if you don’t have Mythical Fateweaver’s Legguards.
  • Mythical Spellweave Legwraps: Decent option if you don’t have a better legendary/MI option.
  • Mythical Arcane Harmony Leggings: The “I hate skill disruption” choice. The stats are pretty similar to Mythical Fateweaver Legguards.
  • Mythical Fateweaver’s Legguards: Great option because it gives +2 to Maiven’s Sphere of Protection as well as aether resistance and +% elemental damage.
  • Solael-Sect Legguards: Decent MI option for the Life Steal, which will allow you to use a different component on your gloves (e.g. ugdenbog leather). Health, resistances, defensive ability, and offensive ability are all good stats to watch out for.
  • Kubacabra’s Chausses: Great MI option for the high armor and offensive ability. Health, resistances, defensive ability, and offensive ability are all good stats to watch out for.
  • Scaled Hide: If you don’t need more poison/bleed resistance this can be a good option to reach 100% armor absorption.
  • Ancient Armor Plate: If you don’t need more poison/bleed resistance this can be a good option to reach 100% armor absorption.
  • Ugdenbog Leather: Best in slot component.

Boots

• Mythical Golemborn Greaves: One of the best options to use for the health, +% armor, and Golemborn proc.
  • Mythical Runeguard Greaves: One of the best options for the +health, high armor, and Runeguard proc.
  • Stonehide Stoneplate Greaves of Kings: Great option to craft.
  • Ugdenbog Leather: Best in slot component unless you have maxed bleed and poison resistances.
  • Mark of Mogdrogen: Good option when using Stonehide Stoneplate Greaves of Kings.
    [/spoiler]

Videos

[v1.0.7.0] Gladiator Crucible Waves 151-170

Gladiator Crucible Update

I created a test character with GDStash with this build, and successfully cleared Gladiator Crucible. I did waves 1-150 with no buff no banner and waves 151-170 with 4 buffs no banner. My clear time was 14 minutes 37 seconds. The only part which is particularly challenging is wave 154, which has a lot of stacked slows, making it difficult to kite away when things get dicey (I used Nullification on myself to remove them).

Overall, the build probably isn’t as reliable a 150-170 crucible farmer as other builds, but it can clear it.

[v1.0.7.0] Gladiator Crucible Waves 151-170

I’ve been looking into some alternate class combinations for this build. I have a pretty strong elemental forcewave tactician which I’m testing out, appears to be really reliable clearing gladiator crucible 151-170. I’m also testing a vindicator. I’ll be updating my posts once I have a good idea of how these builds perform. (they both look considerably better than my main build in the OP though)

Until I have a full writeup, here are some grimtools links:

Vindicator

No Greens/MIs: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/gZwKMqbZ
MIs: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/vNQeKMRN

This build is very spongy. Lots of health regen/life steal sources from Shaman mastery. I haven’t tested it in gladiator crucible yet. I’m pretty sure it has better DPS than my Mage Hunter build due to increased resist reduction via Raging Tempest and improved weapon damage/attack speed via Savagery.

Tactician

No Greens/ MIs: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/4VxdgypV (updated to have more DA 3/21/2018)
DA-love variant: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eZPoLLPV

I cleared crucible 1-170 with the DA-love variant of the tactician build. It was super safe, I can see why the chinese community really likes stacking lots of DA. The build has close to 5K DA combined with >3K armor, 17/12 seal, ~15K health, and overmaxed resists. It’s super tanky. I did crucible 150-170 with might of amatok and ulzuin’s pact in ~14 minutes, but I’m pretty sure I could do it with no blessings in similar time.

Hi, can you please tell me how too see soldier’s skills in Tactician build? I can only see one class on one grimcalc… And I don’t understand why.

Not sure. It might be an issue with your browser or a browser plugin. If you’re having trouble using the grimtools build calculator you should direct your questions to this topic.

EDIT: Here’s a screenshot of soldier skills with +skill bonuses, and here’s a screenshot without bonuses. This is for the DA-love variant.

Trying out this build, a surprisingly fun one to level and play I must say. Gonna add to the topic that the Arbiter relic is GREAT for leveling along the campaign, since it’s physical/elemental damage and the granted skill will mow through large groups of enemies like a knife through butter

Yes, Arbiter is an incredibly awesome relic for leveling. I’d go as far to say that any 2h build should use it when leveling. It deals big %WD, is a source of %DR, has some stun duration for dealing with fodder, and heals you a bunch if you have reasonable %ADCTH.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the build! :slight_smile: