[1.1.5.2] Octavius Warlord vs Crucible

Testing Octavius turned out to be decent but true fact, it isn’t what it used to be.
Build: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/bVA33zQN

I went for a full offensive devotion setup picking up Bull, Oleron, Autumn Boar, Rhowan’s Scepter to stack up as much internal trauma as i could. Also for extra sources I gave thought to using Targo’s Hammer as a weapon to add up more internal trauma into the game with Judgment which is also a great Assassin Mark applier, rest are mostly the casual sources of damage. After all my testing with physical builds i think Oleron’s rage is overall better than Divine Mandate for the very much needed OA% to apply assassin mark and it also results in a higher internal trauma output since the items you pick up on the way help hardcapping it. The amulet i used is clearing unrealistic but a peerless eye of beronath may as well do fine. Arcane spark in medal and prismatic diamond in helm covers up our energy needs nicely so dont really need to worry about that. Without further due here are two vids with a standard 3buffs+1vanguard run and 4buffs+3beacons run.

Standard run

Beacon run

Standard run (Divine Mandate spec) -> https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2EwwMvZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHajdtOR1c8

Standard run (Vire + Boar spec) -> https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2EwwglZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyc6of_Q-xQ

2 Likes

Very nice touch with that Targo Mallet. Judgement is indeed best for proccing Assassin on warlords. Offensively, it’s much better than my old Octavius: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/m23ddL7V.

Two things I can share from my time with Octavius, though:

• not sure about this (because of the addition of Boar and Oleron to what I was playing) but you might get better adcth putting Seal of Blades on the shield. Your two big mains are off-hand wpn dmg. Your only reasonable main hand dmg comes from procs, and on warlords procs are not very reliable. On my Octavius, Seal of Blades was better on the shield.

• no reason to ever push Avenging Shield beyond 10/12

• not quite sure about Oleron… it’s 50% crit dmg and slow res you’re giving up on here, and oa isn’t that bad with the ring proc. About 28/s trauma gain is nice but with 7% crit you go to negative crit on -%crit mutator. I’m not sure if it was a bug but I remember having this problem on a meme budget Stonefather build and I wasn’t seeing any crits at all (no yellow numbers at all) with negative crit dmg. Last, you can save points from soldier mastery and put them in rr overcaps.

1 Like

Yeah i actually thought i should’ve put the seal of blades on the shield considering the damage source but i guess i didn’t pay too much attention to that. Will surely do the switch. Regarding Avenging Shield i did try to find that sweet spot and the 2 extra points for 12/12 were mostly leftovers xD. Regarding oleron vs divine mandate, it was purely the result based on testing 10 runs vs 10 runs that made me decide to go for Oleron over Mandate, same decision was made on @mad_lee Warborn Warlord thread. My OA goes down to about 3.1-2k with Divine Mandate though which i feel it might make criting, therefor applying assassin mark way slower. I don’t know, maybe its just me. Would probably test more with Mandate and the change of seal to shield stuff :D. Regarding the points saving from soldier Mastery, that would mean less cunning dump which will end up being some OA loss since i will have to dump points into physique to reach gear requirements.

EDIT Overall thank you for the great advice and the very important hint on seal of blades. This setup is 100% crucible focused, while yours is more versatile, campaign, crucible and SR capable :D.

Most of the skills got built in crit dmg so it’s not that bad. But you didn’t experience that never-critting situation with that mutator?

Honestly no, didn’t have any issues. Maybe it got fixed? :thinking:

How is your DA always so low? :slight_smile:

Interesting decision with Targo Mallet indeed. I don’t like the devotion setup but overall it’s well put together (except DA and overcaps). Only thing I would change is skill distribution on Aegis of Menhir. It makes sense to max third nod instead of first, same as on FW.

1 Like

About DA…What can i say, I like squishy :rofl:. You are most likely right about the Aegis 3rd node though. Would probably have to try that to see how it fairs.

New video added with Divine Mandate spec. Improved. Thank you @ya1 !
Also @mad_lee tried Reprisal too on aegis and for some reason it didn’t feel right, and was slower. Probably less burst damage? Dunno. You were saying something about the devotions too. I’m listening if you have some ideas, all ears :D.

1 Like

Damn, I really thought that third nod of Aegis would be better, hm. But I’ve also thought that Divine Mandate should be better and turned it was!

About devotions, I have never really explored IT builds, so it’s all up to testing. I would assume that bottom right corner is not optimal, but might be wrong there. Fastest Octavius builds turned out to be some weird conversion specs that Plasmo and Valinov did after with really non-standard devos and such. So I would explore different maps. Like maybe Empyrion + Vire, or Vire + Oleron (if possible), or even Vire + Azrakaa.

1 Like

I always maxed last node Aegis but just about everywhere else gives more trauma. It used to give 1% chance for zero cooldown per point. Now it’s poor after the cap.

Da is ok here. Ring proc is just about permanent.

First node of Aegis is sacred. It’s the best output for wpn dmg flat trauma.

Vire is probably the most impoverished T3 devo. 80%dmg? It’s below T2 standards, wtf? Proc, too, even Boar has more trauma on the proc. Defensive stats on Vire also aren’t good. But it’s there for the blue so what else can you take when going for Menhir? Azraka has no trauma. Oleron makes it hard to take Menhir. Empyrion is actually good for Octavius because it gives most res of all T3s, and Octavius is one of the most res-tarded sets (just one res on most pieces).

1 Like

I would try Vire + Oleron or even Vire + Boar to see how it would fair but not the case for Vire + Azrakaa or Vire + LoE since both azrakaa and LoE dont have IT support.

I feel ya, but while it has all these downsides there is an upside too, the fact that it procs underneath your enemies, melee or ranged, doesn’t matter, and it looks cool to :rofl: . Would try to see if i can get boar + vire maybe. It sounds juicy.

Ok so cameback with Vire + Boar spec. This spec feels more consistent however more squishier than the former since i lose the Shield devotion but i’m starting to think it’s not really worth it with the cooldown that it has. It would need to have lowered cooldown to something like 0.1 to actually make sense. It’s pretty good on nemesis waves though where you don’t have clusters of enemies.

Video and GT added :D.

Vire Fist should get better chance, 50%, like Spear of the Heavens. And a 100% trauma on the nodes. I really don’t know why it has such low %dmg values.

Or at least maintain the chance as it is but give it aoe. It only procs on a single mob…

Damn right. Enough is enough. I’m making feedback thread. :fist:

EDIT: as soon as I get on my pc. I don’t remember the stats…

1 Like

What a poverty T3 devotion. Pierce and Bleeding res for this archetype, like really, lol

Imo it would be perfectly fine if it had decent aoe. That fist coming from the ground on a random place is just too unreliable. Other than that, the stats are pretty fine for retal builds :thinking:

What’s that 1 second duration for?

Are they? 80% all retal isn’t bad but there’s no flat of any kind…

I’d drop bleed and raise aether and chaos to 20% or add 15% elemental or 20% acid.

Cunning and phys res are very nice but that’s still more T2-ish than anything.

well it has flat retal too but the stats i posted were from the much outdated wiki xD