[1.1.9.0] Vindictive Fame - Ember's Calling Aura Purifier (SR80)

True but it’s a matter of preference. I play legit in HC but I consider it silly to theorycraft and limit my options. Not hating on your playstyle, but you’re kneecapping yourself

aye but i don’t think it was embercall/“heavily” modified Vindictive?, but more like a usual aura build,
which can be super passive regardless, ex infil or pally, but without stacking deep modifiers, at least in my experience, it doesn’t become all that “effective”, as in you might as well just make a passive retal build and it will be faster/stronger. Hence why “trying” to see if “moar” could be stacked on top of all these VF modifiers Ulvar has here.

My buddy @Fretheo has been working on VF combos for months now, so there will likely be something like what you’re talking about, sooner rather than later :smiley:

Imagine grim dawn without GDstash. That is how I play it :slight_smile: Most of my game time is spent on farming blooms crystals and leveling chars. When I do drop some sick MI then I theory-craft build and if it ends up well in GT i try to make char in game. Its like an experiment almost.

Sure I could focus on a few chars but that is not fun for me. The main reason why I play GD so much is because of uts build diversity and creativity.

At least this build has more dps than my mortar purifier. The reduced attack rate on mortar hurt a lot. The extra burn dmg on big one (kekw false advertisment) does not compensate. Still build is tanky as hell so still gets the work done. Like playing a retal build almost

3 Likes

You could easily stash builds for concepts, like I do, and then proceed to work toward making them in game. It’s the literal same thing, except all your testing is done on the dummy build.

It is a slippery slope. Too much temptation skipping the farming and leveling step. Also I enjoy the excitement of seeing the planned build in action, the “experiment” as I mentioned and that I have to prioritize only based on my knowledge and experience in the game to know what build is “worth” doing just based on its stats shown in Grim Tools. Knowing how the goal build will perform and play out is therefore kinda like spoiling the fun for me.

But as I said, imagine GD without GDstash. Do people pre-create their chars in Diablo 3 and PoE too with cheat tools and test play them before League/Season/Ladder?

I think this comment is spot-on btw:

2 Likes

No cheat tool in PoE, but using a planning tool before to plan out the entire build map is more critical than GD. Refunds are expensive to the point that they are one of the trading currencies. And there are a number of irreversible game play choices that impact builds.

I know, which means it would make more sense in PoE to have such cheat tool, like ability to download the patch and play local on your computer to try builds etc.

Now I am to starting to think about how much time I have saved using Grim Tools and just not a self made excel spreadsheet … perhaps Grim Tools is also cheating :thinking: perhaps my next SSF char will be a “no grim tools” build :sweat_smile:

1 Like

love that little final note “well, mostly no one… will criticize it” :laughing:

on the other hand, the main problem with GDstashed/BiS gear builds (imo) are they can give some players a skewed or even unrealistic picture of GD, endgame, and expectations for their (own) builds and performance - when/where not clearly highlighted what was done, who piloted it, items high rolled, or even fudged mutators/camera exploit(tho that matters not anymore)
^since many/most players will never, eeever, see themselves actually making those builds 1:1 (legit),

not just because of the absurd amount of RNG it can take just with regular blues or purples. But outside budget builds/“guaranteed obtainable” items/crafts, stuff like sets or specific build key items can be potentially “impossible” to get legit in any avg casual player’s timeframe that just want to reach endgame and try powerrun a suped up toon, not spending 1000hours farming.
-and that’s ofc even before potentially considering either double rare affixes or worse; specific demanded affixes, ex to fix resists/CC, worse outside of MIs that can’t be shopped,
^eg someone on Steam has been farming Primordian for 900+ kills without getting anywhere near to even potential desired decent affixes https://steamcommunity.com/app/219990/discussions/0/3103512736621052220/

And that’s also ofc even if ignore stuff like obvious “hell MIs”/Uniques, like double Magi rings, Alkamos Rings, Sharzul firestick, or other stupid low droprate Uniques/MIs, just to be able to make 1 build.

I think that’s what makes stuff like not just the "different setup"grimtools good ex in Ulvar or Baka’s “affix posts”, but also the SSF’ish nature of such builds, being a much more realistic “upgrade” from ex budget/beginner builds.

even something as simple as a build including “legit” items, ex Stoneplate greaves can throw a spanner in some builds, if it’s GDstashed/posted with specific affixes, specially the double rare versions… because the mad rng required to get them legit and craft obscene amounts of boots you need heaps of scrap/dynamite for

i’ve even tried a character that straight up didn’t work without “all” item’s being semi-high rolled, because defenses and resists just wouldn’t be decent with avg GT rolls, but much less with realistic ingame lowball rolls.

there are so many potential qualifiers for not just a builds performance, but overall basic function, that i think these types of “Ulvar builds” does the general or casual community a much bigger service than pure GDstashed builds/that has no regard for farming/ingame acquirement/BiS just for BiS sake - so it’s kinda good there’s a least a couple of players staying away from that slippery slope :wink:

1 Like

SSF is the way to be a challenge. GT build idea suggests items to look for. Also, you will ultimately find most items with time.

The real question is “do you have the patience”? :stuck_out_tongue:

@hammyhamster1 If you have not missed it, I have posted several SSF budget builds already. It is not the item acquisition but it is the time spent figuring out in game what combination of items, augments and components etc that GT helps alot with even when playing SSF.

@Gnomish_Inquisition I think it also depends on why some ppl post builds, I wish more people would just post their builds for community feel and share the joy of playing and making builds. When I post a build, it is 90% “I wanna share something I made and have fun with, perhaps you can get some ideas from it or have some ideas to share with me” and 10% “Copy this build and you’ll be fine” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

the difference is, for some SSF builds, vs BiS GDstashed builds, the amount of time it takes, or can take, to get.
ex Ulvar or Protoss spending 50hours(or something) in GT to narrow things down, then assembling ingame in XY timeframe, gives a player a much better or realistic potential picture of what to expect, and what’s obtainable, than a build that was just tooled up, stashed, and run through to check/confirm tc performance.

BiS builds might be “better”/stronger performative and show what’s “technically” possible within the frames of GD, but a lot of them are impossible for most players not also using GDstash to play, also among some players that have hundreds of hours logged, because RNGesus…

yup, i’m also in no way dissing the elite builder community or the competitive scene and record breakers - quite the opposite. I think i’m just trying to “highlight” that i think it’s really important that these types of builds get their due consideration, and maybe even have a bigger “scene”, than just a handful of people. Because i think this “casual sharing” has its value for endgame builds just like the budget/beginner section does.

Nah I don’t spend 50h in GT per build :slight_smile: more like 30 min - 1h

1 Like

@_@ … i can spend like 2 hours on a single item slot :rofl:

its fun to watch and read about for sure, like watching pro athletes perform :slight_smile: (who are jacked with steroids and stuff) but I don’t wanna do that myself.

1 Like

It’s good to have easy-to-gather or beginner-type builds. Especially if someone is starting or wants to do SSF or such.

I was just saying that I don’t think GT is a negative to the overall experience, but more of a positive.

Usually if I want to use an MI, I try to make the build without affixes first, so that less farming is needed and most anything will do. GD components/augments make it fairly easy to do that after lvl 70. Before lvl 70, you might end up swapping around gear for each area. So is it cheating to know what to expect from each area for a gear swap? It’s very subjective.

Even in PoE, you know that there are some crazy good rolled stuff out there, but you are mostly going to try to get something adequate, which is more complicated than GD.

1 Like

no not GT, but maybe GDstash “a little” - i think that’s what the point was about between ulvar/spooks and PoE
planning tool is 1 thing, but imagine D3/PoE leagues if builders had a week advance with something similar like GDstash, how would the game builds be then compared to how the games work currently
like i love GDstash is here, for both its functions, but it does “skew” builds, and competitive performance a little, vs realism, specially from regular or casual player pov or if they don’t also use gdstash item spawn

I see your point, but in PoE it wouldn’t be likely to work. Your planning tool is about as GD stash as you can do. Because the gear is so random, unless you had pre-arranged with someone to trade everything to you.

And races are always SSF.

Nice! :damage_fire:

1 Like

Update: I did SR 80 a few times, changed diamond to sanct bone in helmet for more racist damage to chthonics.