[1.1.9.3] Blightlord Blazeseer Shieldbreaker, Bombs and Bros (Video)

Grim Tools:

Grim Tools (Level 35-50 Example): Shieldbreaker, Level 35 (GD 1.1.9.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Grim Tools (Level 50-65 Example): Shieldbreaker, Level 65 (GD 1.1.9.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Grim Tools (Level 100): Shieldbreaker, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Dahbadu’s Generic Leveling Advice:

• Generally, when leveling you one point wonder most active skills, spreading your skills out, while you rush mastery ranks. So instead of dumping all of your points into your “main” skill before you can sustain the energy cost, you one point wonder it, and rush mastery ranks. Mastery ranks increase all of your stats, so consider increasing mastery as a minor buff to all of your skills. It will also let you equip more gear that drops because you have higher attributes, giving you more flexibility in itemization.
  • This will lend itself to a “piano-style” gameplay while you level, because your hotbar will be filled up with a bunch of different skills. So instead of using the same skill 8x, you’re using 4 different skills x2 in the same time frame. Due to early game scaling, you generally get the most “bang for the buck” that way. More importantly, it’ll let you test out a bunch of different skills, and find synergies you like.
  • The exception to this are skills that provide flat damage absorption or armor, such as Blast Shield. 100 armor or flat damage absorption is very strong during the early game, although in the late game it’s not as powerful by itself. Your belt slot is important, because flat armor there applies to your entire character. So components that add flat armor to your belt are the best RoI at the beginning.
  • For example, early game if you equip a shield because it has some nice stats and resistances, and dump some points into Safeguard, you’re gonna find you’ll be super tanky because the flat armor can trivialize early-game physical damage, which is the most common damage type. Don’t worry about equipping items for damage increases. Focus on armor, resistances, health, health regen, and enough energy/regen to allow you to spell spam. Percentage increases to attributes and offense/defense are less worthwhile. A nice proc, like Brawler’s Exhausting can be very powerful as well.
  • Support/Debuff skills that change game mechanics can also worth being investing in, especially it increases their AoE significantly, as long as it shores up a weakness to your character and you can sustain the energy cost. e.g. Flashbang (this applies to this character), War Cry, Curse of Frailty, Flash Freeze, and Word of Agony are skills that come to mind.
  • With this character (Bang Bro), I one-point wondered most skills while rushing mastery and new active skills for both classes, as soon as they were available. The first skill I invested in moderately was Safeguard (temporarily, when I had a shield before I got my hammer), then Flashbang just to get its AoE to a nice size. The first skill I maxed out was Blast Shield > then brought Flash Bang to the 12 breakpoint > then maxed out Guardians main attack (because of my hammer) > then Blackwater last.
  • For devotions, if the character uses Wendigo’s Mark and relies on it for sustain (like Bang Bro), you generally want to rush it. So blue point > Eel > red point > Jackal > Wendigo’s Mark on your best proccing/reliable skill.

Gearing and Notes:

You’ll need all the different expansions for the gear. Use Grimtools to determine drop locations of gear and components.

You’ll be using Barthollem’s Gavel (a 2-handed mace that you can target farm) for most of the character’s life.

Although I talk a lot in the video about shields, avoid investing in devotions and skills that are shield related while leveling to avoid pigeonholing yourself with gear choices.

While leveling, focus on resistances, armor, and making sure you have enough energy regen to power your spell spam. Many times a green or even yellow piece of gear is worth it if it’ll max out a resistance or shore up a weakness.

If you look at the level 50-65 example, that will give you an idea of itemization to shoot for while leveling. It also contains some legendary (purple) items that are great for enabling other mid-level builds, so try to collect them.

If you can’t spam your blackwater cocktail, fit in more ectoplasm components as soon as possible. If that means you lose out on other stats from components, that’s fine.

How does the build play?

You Flashbang a group of enemies, which debuffs them and also places Eldritch Fire on them.

While enemies are coming to you, blanket their pathing with Blackwater Cocktails and place Thermite Mines in locations it feels they’ll linger in. This will tag enemies with Wendigo’s Mark, so you’ll be life leeching them.

You have 4x Bros, Thermite Mines and many other sources of resistance shredding. You’re converting most of your damage to fire and you’ll do a ton of fire damage. Your crits hit really hard too.

When you get hurt (knocked below 60% life), you’ll have several seconds of near invulnerability due to Blast Shield and Resilience proccing, which should give you time to recover or reposition. You’re pretty tanky, have some decent block mechanics (near end game), and decent sustain (mostly from life leech mechanics). You’re not a super tank, but just “tanky enough” while being able to melt the screen with some serious firepower.

Weaknesses:

The build could be tankier. It’s not like you can facetank several nemesis mobs without ever moving. You can tank a couple at once, but not the entire screen filled with them.

It would be nice to have another means of curing debuffs on you, but Ulo is fine given your defense profile.

There will be a transition near the end of the game where you’ll switch to shields, once you have enough devotions and have collected the gear. This may be tricky for some to make this switch, but you can always continue to use Barthollem’s Gavel and progress the mid-leveling concept of the character to end-game until then.

If you’re not using shields, feel free to get creative at the end-game with devotions, because you’ll have some points to spend.

Other Builds by Dahbadu:

[1.1.9.3] Vire’s Might Vanquisher Templar, Cooldown Cycler Mage Speed Tank

[1.1.9.3] Devastating Spellscourge Battlemage, Max Block Cooldown Tank (Video)

[1.1.9.3] Wildblood Conjurer, Super Life Leech Hybrid Tank (Video)

[1.1.9.3] Blightlord Blazesser Shieldbreaker, Bombs and Bros (Video)

8 Likes

Feel free to ask any questions and I’ll try to provide helpful feedback.

how far do you think u can push in SR?
what do think of the biggest difference with pyran set?
btw this build looks really cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you beaten all Celestials with your builds as the can-do-all-content tag suggests?
Otherwise known as EVERYTHING+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2 Likes

With the holiday, I plan on releasing more videos and doing more content. Pretty far and fast, but you gotta be careful about pulling a ton of bosses at once with this build.

I think it’s a great idea to make a video of this build doing SR, so expect that soon. I also really want to make a video of my Vire’s Might build doing SR, because it’ll be a really great showcase of what makes that build cool. So expect that too.

If I used Pyran’s, this character wouldn’t be a Blackwater Cocktail character and would be less Chaos/Vitality focused (or the conversion of Chaos/Vitality).

And thanks! :smile:

Keeping it 100, the answer is “mostly.”

Basically, some of my character’s I’ve done everything, and some of them I’ve just done “most” of everything, and I can judge if they can do X based off of how well they can perform doing Y, since I’ve done X before several times and know what’s involved. I like Crucible because I think it’s the best overall test of a character, and how well a character performs there you can get a good idea how well they will perform in other scenarios.

I’m interested in making more videos. What character would you like to see kill which Celestial? Of note, some of these builds I may use some potions vs a Celestial – unlike the Crucible.

I don’t need you to prove anything to me, it’s not a big deal for me but I suggest writing what you actually have done with your builds so that we don’t have to trust your guesstimation. Just look at other build threads or YT channels - players, even well-known on the forum, put a lot of effort into testing their builds thoroughly, make many videos and fight all Celestials if they advertise that. Also it’s good to have those videos because you can see for example how much kiting / skillful gameplay is required (i.e. dancing with Ravager vs just facetanking).

We regularly see players asking for builds that can clear all the content. I think it’s reasonable to only recommend those for which it was actually done.

Personally if I only played my character in Crucible (which I used to do) then I only wrote Crucible in the title. If I didn’t have time / will / skill to push highest SR then I only wrote SR75. If I only had patience for Ravager then I only put him in the title.

I’m not experienced enough to tell a precise Celestials hierarchy (I doubt you could make one) but Ravager, Crate and Callagadra are definitely the stronger ones and Clones, Lokarr and Mogdrogen are the weaker ones and can be skipped I think if the former three are beaten.

It depends. I had immortal characters in Crucible that I don’t think would ever be able to kill the hardest Celestials. There’s an anti-Crucible sentiment in some part of the community, I don’t think they feel Crucible is a proper measuring stick for a build’s strength.

But I see in your video that you beat Crucible without any Blessings. It’s definitely an achievement and a sign the build is strong. There’s even a special category for something similar in GrimSheet: Endgame Build Table - ETE edition [v1.41] called “Naked CR”.
I’m personally not experienced with it. Perhaps it transfers well to Celestials.

Potions vs Celestials are totally fine and widely used and I think you can use all of them. Even adjusting builds for a particular Celestial (the most common and easiest being adjusting your augments for overcaps) is common with changes that are more or less practical to make.

3 Likes

Hello, new player here following your build.
At level 30 at the moment with most points on Demolitionist. You don’t specify but how about skill point distribution, what skills to prioritize on that. At which point should i start investing points on Oathkeeper tree? In the Devotions, which are the ones that should be enabled first? Also, when should i start thinking about a Shield?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get my head around it :slight_smile: Thanks

1 Like

Don’t be sorry, those are excellent questions and thanks for posting.

Here’s an example of itemization and pathing for the skill tree and devotions: Shieldbreaker, Level 35 (GD 1.1.9.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (which I’ve included in the OP above)

Dahbadu’s Generic Leveling Advice:

• Generally, when leveling you one point wonder most active skills, spreading your skills out, while you rush mastery ranks. So instead of dumping all of your points into your “main” skill before you can sustain the energy cost, you one point wonder it, and rush mastery ranks. Mastery ranks increase all of your stats, so consider increasing mastery as a minor buff to all of your skills. It will also let you equip more gear that drops because you have higher attributes, giving you more flexibility in itemization.
  • This will lend itself to a “piano-style” gameplay while you level, because your hotbar will be filled up with a bunch of different skills. So instead of using the same skill 8x, you’re using 4 different skills x2 in the same time frame. Due to early game scaling, you generally get the most “bang for the buck” that way. More importantly, it’ll let you test out a bunch of different skills, and find synergies you like.
  • The exception to this are skills that provide flat damage absorption or armor, such as Blast Shield. 100 armor or flat damage absorption is very strong during the early game, although in the late game it’s not as powerful by itself. Your belt slot is important, because flat armor there applies to your entire character. So components that add flat armor to your belt are the best RoI at the beginning.
  • For example, early game if you equip a shield because it has some nice stats and resistances, and dump some points into Safeguard, you’re gonna find you’ll be super tanky because the flat armor can trivialize early-game physical damage, which is the most common damage type. Don’t worry about equipping items for damage increases. Focus on armor, resistances, health, health regen, and enough energy/regen to allow you to spell spam. Percentage increases to attributes and offense/defense are less worthwhile. A nice proc, like Brawler’s Exhausting can be very powerful as well.
  • Support skills that change game mechanics can also worth being investing in, especially if it increasing their AoE significantly, as long as it shores up a weakness to your character and you can sustain the energy cost. e.g. Flashbang (this applies to this character), War Cry, Curse of Frailty, Flash Freeze, and Word of Agony are skills that come to mind.
  • With this character (Bang Bro), I one-point wondered most skills while rushing mastery and new active skills for both classes, as soon as they were available. The first skill I invested in moderately was Safeguard (temporarily, when I had a shield before I got my hammer), then Flashbang just to get its AoE to a nice size. The first skill I maxed out was Blast Shield > then brought Flash Bang to the 12 breakpoint > then maxed out Guardians main attack (because of my hammer) > then Blackwater last.
  • For devotions, if the character uses Wendigo’s Mark and relies on it for sustain, you generally want to rush it. So blue point > Eel > red point > Jackal > Wendigo’s Mark on your best proccing skill.

If possible I’d love to see videos of this character killing any of the celestials/superbosses.

1 Like

Thank you for the effort on even making this guide a bit more new player friendly. I think you have replied to all my current doubts. If i have more i might return here and fire away.

Thanks again

1 Like

I’ll try to work on that.

Hi there! I’ve really been enjoying this build as its been really fun. I’m also newish to the game and the levelling versions you provided helped a ton! Thank you very much for that! I’m finally all geared out and just blazing through enemies.

I’m nearing the end of the game though and I’ve noticed an oddity: You’ve got way too many skill points. I’m short 4 of the bonus skill points (all from Ultimate level content that I’ve not gotten to yet) and I’m 17 short of being able to fill out the build. You’ve got 13 skill points too many!

Right now my deficit is in Vindictive Flame (8 short) and Ulzuin’s Wrath (9 short) and I’m wondering if maybe I should bulk them up at the expense of other skills. I’m just not sure which ones or to what extent. Any advice?

You are missing something. Grim Tools link is correct. It it were too many skill points, in would display

1 Like

Oh that’s weird then. I have all the skill bonuses from level up and (as of now) all but one bonus skill point from quests on the wiki. Any idea what I’m missing?

Have you the same gear with the same bonuses? It could be that a lower investment is needed using certain gear. You can check the really invested skill points using CTRL + Shift in Grimtools.

And you could share your character via Grimtools (upload your character using the arrow up smybol top left)

2 Likes

Yes, I’m using the same gear with the same bonuses. Took a while to get, too!

Here’s my character: Shieldbreaker, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.4) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

According to that I’m missing 14 skill points. I guess there’s something weird going on on my end because (unless I’m mistaken) there’s only 11 bonus skill points to acquire.

Send me your save folder zipped (provided you’re not using Cloud Saves), for example

C:\Users\ItsTaylor\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main\_LordTaylor

I’ll have a look at it. Or do it youself if you want:

• check using Grim Tools checklist Grim Dawn Checklist how many points you’re missing from quests

• add missing skill points if there are any using GDStash or GDDefiler

1 Like

Thank you, I didn’t know about that checklist website and GDStash did the trick.