[1.1.9.4] Pet Cabalist - Question about Devotions

Dear all.

Can you please help me a bit out? I am creating a new Cabalist Pet build for me and I have a question regarding devotions. Whenever I search the forum or the internet I find different opinions. My question is more about Will of Rattosh…

So here are my 2 combinations of devotions for the moment. The build is not ready yet… just fyi…

1. Cabalist, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.4) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
  2. Cabalist, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.4) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

I have the choice between these two combinations:

1. Will of Rattosh for my Skellies / Eldritch Fire for my Blieght Fiend / Flame torrent for my Hellhound
  2. Eldritch Fire for my Skellies / Flame torrent for my Hellhound / Elemental Storm for my Blight Fiend / Support from additional Skellies from Raise the dead

So what I understood is the fact that Will of Rattosh has no cooldown. It can be used in parallel with Skellies but only will be used one time per opponent. If I have multiple opponents it can be used in parallel and still just one time per opponent. Is that correct?
And if this is correct, does this mean that Elemental Storm or Eldritch fire work the same way?

My first thought was… Hey cool. Will of Rattosh has no cooldown. So my Skellies will use it so often that it will be awesome :slight_smile: But after changing to that devotion combination I am not sure if this devotioncombination is better then the one I have used before. I wanted to switch because I have a +100% Vitality Damage bonus on Mythical Deadbeater and thought that choosing Will of Rattosh is better for Skellie DPS then Eldritch fire.

Just for your information. I want to convert most of the damage to chaos. Vitalitydamage will be converted to 100% to chaosdamage.

Please let me know your thougths. Which combination would you use and prefer?

Will of Rattosh reduces resistance of enemy to vitality damage. Looking at your links, your damage is a bit all over the place, chaos and vitality, with elemental auras layered on top. Your rings are converting away most of your vitality damage to chaos, so Rattosh will give you only little benefit. I’d suggest stacking up in one area over the other and focusing on devos that help that damage type. With will of Rattos you might be better off with a Marrow Band / Myth Spiritbinder rings (and then can change devos too, if wanted).

*edit - You’ll also want some aether and chaos resist for your pets (Myth Fiendflesh Mantle would be a bit help for you).

1 Like

Thank you very very much for your answer.

Yes a good gear combination could look loke this: Cabalist, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.4) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

You said: Will of Rattosh reduces resistance of enemy vitality damage
Yes that is true. As I would like to do chaosdamage I thought using the Skellies from Raise the dead could be more helpful as they reduce all resistances for 24% compared to reducing 25% Vitalityresistance “only” from Will of Rattosh.

Another question. Will the Vitality Damage from Will of rattosh converted to Chaos as well because of the ring Mythical Voidwhisper Band?

I will have a look at your notice regading Marrow Band / Myth Spiritbinder rings

There are different types of resistance reduction in this game, be careful as they’re not the same… the skeletons reduce resists by 24 flat. Rattosh reduces resists by -% reduction. They’re not the same thing, though they both reduce enemy resists.

The rings only convert vitality to chaos for pets. I believe that Will of Rattosh’s dmg will not convert. Rattosh damage is player based, so I don’t think that would convert. Now, I am 99% sure on that, but not 100% sure. Because you can in fact bind Rattosh to pet-scaled pets I can’t say that I’m 100% certain in my answer, but I think that’s the case.

1 Like

Thank you again for the fast answer :slight_smile:

You said: There are different types of resistance reduction in this game, be careful as they’re not the same… the skeletons reduce resists by 24 flat. Rattosh reduces resists by -% reduction. They’re not the same thing, though they both reduce enemy resists.
Ahhh OK. I understand! Thanks for the hint.

You said: The rings only convert vitality to chaos for pets. I believe that Will of Rattosh’s dmg will not convert. Rattosh damage is player based, so I don’t think that would convert. Now, I am 99% sure on that, but not 100% sure. Because you can in fact bind Rattosh to pet-scaled pets
Probably a developer or mod could answer this because I would be really interested in :slight_smile:

Like I said, pretty sure it does not convert… but yea, would be great if someone could verify.

Also, just a heads up, there are actually three types of rr. Just something to be aware of when building, planning. :slight_smile:
Example of third type:

I really need to get deep in the RR thing again. As I have multiple RR’s I did not really care :slight_smile: One will always be used :slight_smile: I think… let me count… 5 or 6 I have in this build…

1 Like

Global conversions, like the Vitality to Chaos conversion for pets in Voidwhisper Rings, will also convert any devotions bound to that pet. However, conversions specific to a single pet, such as the Conduit’s 100% Acid to Vitality conversion to the Blight Fiend only, will not convert a devotion that’s bound to Blight Fiend.

So in your case, Rattosh would be converted to Chaos damage if it was bound to Skeletons. However, as Skelemental mentioned, Rattosh has very specific devotion requirements, and thus it’s better to use a less specific devotion, such as Bat or Wendigo. Wendigo would be very similar to Rattosh in that it has no cooldown and drains life to a single target, while the nodes are also much better for the player than Rattosh would be (cast speed, 4% Phys resistance, 5% Health are all nice nodes)

So if I am understanding your reply correctly, if Rattosh is bound to the skeletons or other pet, and the toon has two Myth Voidwhisper bands on (100% vitality → chaos), Rattosh’s vitality damage will also be converted even though it isn’t pet damage, but can be bound to the pets (I guess thus becoming pet damage…?) Like I said, I thought I knew the answer, but wasn’t 100% sure… so, if that’s the case, then I was wrong, and it does convert.

Yes, that is right. A devotion that’s bound to a pet becomes scaled with pet damage, and thus is subject to all pet conversions.

The most popular one I remember is Fiend’s swirling flames bound to Skeletons; any low-cooldown devotion like Bat or Bull is going to contribute well to your pet DPS bound to a skill that summons multiple pets like Skeletons or Beastcaller’s Briarthorns.

Yea, I use that on my favorite build to get millions of DPS with my skeletons. I always noticed it was better with Fiend when I’d try different devotions, but I had assumed that was due to the % fire damage increase… but that always seemed so small yet the skeletons performed so much better… now that makes sense. This changes some things I thought I knew about the game and opens a few possibilities in builds I had previously ignored. Thanks for the education.