[1.1.9.8] Those Bloody Icicles: 4:30 Crucible Gladiator 150-170, Shard 100, Ravager, cold caster Spellbreaker by mad_lee (+bonus build: Cold CT Spellbreaker)

*When you just went for cigarettes but your build is already ded

Foreword

The Mageslayer. A caster’s set that not only lacks physical resist, cdr and bonus %damage, but straight up lacks non-dot damage on its amulet. And yet, the support it offers to relevant skills is still pretty strong. “Perma”-freeze Mageslayer Spellbreakers have been done before, but I wanted to make something that can comfortably survive and farm Crucible and Shards without always relying on Olexra’s Flash Freeze + Aeon gimmick. And I think I came pretty close to this with this Spellbreaker.

The Build

1.1.9.8 update

Bad news: due to Callidor’s Tempest transmuter having shorter cooldown the chance to proc Aeon is not 100%.
Good news: build has one less button and new spec can afford to miss those Aeon resets due to added tankiness in a form of meta devotion called “Turtle”.

<<<< GRIMTOOLS >>>>

*Craft for stun and freeze resistance
**For deep shards and Celestial fights cap Mirror and add Blade Barrier, check videos for relevant grimtools

Freezingly Asked Questions

So is this Spellbreaker really tanky? It doesn’t look that way
It’s decently tanky. However, it’s still a Spellbreaker and you can’t play it mindlessly, a lot of its tankiness comes from active defenses and smart positioning.

So is it difficult to pilot?
Not really. The rotation is very simple, one thing you have to nail is the OFF > CT > OFF sequence for double OFF cast and get a general sense of Aeon’s cooldown when playing in Crucible for example. It does take some time to master though and is NOT a cookie cutter build.

Why a two-handed crossbow with no %cdr?
Well because a two-handed crossbow with no %cdr is a best weapon for caster Spellbreaker. It converts Pierce into Cold, gives massive amounts of skill points and has an amazing proc that provides consistent damage reduction that all Spellbreakers lack.

Gear/Skills and Devotions/Leveling

We need Aeon for this build to shine so the build might lack a bit of %damage on paper but it certainly doesn’t lack it in-game. The proccers are not the best, but we work with what we got. Pretty much every gear piece is bis here, try to get similar rolls and if you can’t get one “Tempest” roll you can compensate for it with a bit higher OA dump.

For leveling check beginner guides, this is an endgame build

Gameplay

In Crucible

Build facetanks most things (in buffless Crucible it’s a bit different obviously) as long as you are precise with your perma-freezing. Try to time your OFF > RoS > OFF sequences for harder waves, like for example if you feel like you can do it in the middle of a trash wave rather use OFF without resetting it and it would be more than enough for the that wave, but then at the beginning of a next wave with bosses you are ready to perma-freeze them and thus complete it faster and much safer.

In Shattered Realm

Build comfortably farms SR 75-76 however you need to play focused and not to overextend since you don’t need to facetank for full dps output. In Shards higher than 80 Moosie becomes almost impossible, however, if you can find a boss room without him then sky (and your patience to catch a good boss room and also get through normal chunks) is the limit.

Celestial fights

This build comfortably defeats Mogdrogen (who doesn’t). Its fight versus Ravager is actually not that difficult - you can kite him quite comfortably as you can see on my video. Callagadra fight was extremely hard and it took me 12 tries to figure it out. Basically try to copy my strategy if you want to defeat her with this build, but I would recommend killing her with any build that is naturally better against it (higher physical resistance, higher kiting range, etc.).

Just watch the videos to learn how to play the build.

Stats

изображение

Videos

1.1.9.8 SR 75-76 8:04 run

1.1.9.4 Crucible Gladiator 150-170 4:20 run

1.1.9.4 Crucible Gladiator 150-170 4:30 run

1.1.9.4 SR 75-76 7:36 run

1.1.9.4 Shard 100 boss room with few deaths

1.1.9.4 Crucible Gladiator 150-170 “naked” extra spawn 5:33 run

1.1.9.4 Callagadra kill 7:30

1.1.9.4 Ravager kill 5:01

1.1.9.4 Mogdrogen kill 3:40

In Conclusion

Shout out to @AlkamosHater who was one of the first builders to use Mageslayer + Aeon perma-freeze.

And stay frosty, yo!l

Bonus Build: Cold CT Spellbreaker

My take on Harra CT Spellbreaker. Very slick and easy to use build. The reason I didn’t take blue Inferno gloves is that I wanted some attack speed for Shadow Strike (since build procs Elemental Storm with it) and Pierce resistance was really hard to come by. If you cover Pierce resistance somewhere else and prefer to proc Elemental Storm with Ring of Steel than you can use blue gloves as well.

Build can facetank Ravager and do SR90 (and also a decent SR 75-76 farmer) but excels at Crucible Gladiator 150-170 farming.

<<<< GRIMTOOLS >>>>

*Craft for stun and freeze resistance or/and Healing Effects

Here are some videos with build’s performance

1.1.9.8 Harra CT Spellbreaker vs. Crucible Gladiator 150-170 (lucky 4:00 run)

1.1.9.8 Harra CT Spellbreaker vs. Ravager (1:46 kill)

1.1.9.8 Harra CT Spellbreaker vs. SR 75-76 (6:50 run, no short rooms)

16 Likes

Also, before someone asks about levelling - two relatively easy ways to level a spellbreaker are Shadow Strike melee and Trozan’s Sky Shards caster.

The former was done as Infiltrator by me, you can more or less copy the Nightblade skill & levelling and fill Arcanist later with support stuff:

TSS was done by @Monceaux as Warlock. Yet again you can more or less copy his approach for Arcanist part and use Nightblade just for stats - Pneumatic Burst line, Veil of Shadow line.

5 Likes

The cookiest of cutter maker strikes again.

6 Likes

Slap some ugly photo on top. Not even a story. What’s going on with Olexra? It’s appropriate build for that.

But for coockie cutter this build is really fine :cookie:

2 Likes

New video.

2 Likes

1.1.9.8 update

Bad news: due to Callidor’s Tempest transmuter having shorter cooldown the chance to proc Aeon is not 100%.
Good news: build has one less button and new spec can afford to miss those Aeon resets due to added tankiness in a form of meta devotion called “Turtle”.

New gt is in the op

Here is the run with a new spec:

3 Likes

Hello Lee,
I really like how this build plays out… especially in the middle of a mob.

If I were to use the Eternity relic instead, it’ll be a disastrous drop in Frostburn damage, wouldn’t it? Probably not even something the potential cooldown proc from Eternity could make up for?

Thanks~

Hello, billywyy

Eternity would be indeed a disastrous choice, but not because of its lack of Frostburn damage, but because its proc only works with off-hands and this build carries a two-handed weapon :kissing_heart:

1 Like

awww crap, you’re right :joy:

1 Like

Continuing the trend of flooding forums with top-tier builds by add them to my existing guides here is another

Bonus Build: Cold CT Spellbreaker

My take on Harra CT Spellbreaker. Very slick and easy to use build. The reason I didn’t take blue Inferno gloves is that I wanted some attack speed for Shadow Strike (since build procs Elemental Storm with it) and Pierce resistance was really hard to come by. If you cover Pierce resistance somewhere else and prefer to proc Elemental Storm with Ring of Steel than you can use blue gloves as well.

Build can facetank Ravager and do SR90 (and also a decent SR 75-76 farmer) but excels at Crucible Gladiator 150-170 farming.

Find Grimtools in the op

Here are some videos with build’s performance

1.1.9.8 Harra CT Spellbreaker vs. Crucible Gladiator 150-170 (lucky 4:00 run)

1.1.9.8 Harra CT Spellbreaker vs. Ravager (1:46 kill)

1.1.9.8 Harra CT Spellbreaker vs. SR 75-76 (6:50 run, no short rooms)

1 Like