[1.2.0.3] Aegis of Retirement: 4:30 Crucible Gladiator 150-170, Shard 90, Celestials, tanky Lightning retaliation caster Archon + couple of bonus retaliation builds by mad_lee

Hey guys , I am a bit confuse about the devotion? Where should I put the point first?
Thank you

I canā€™t seem to get the infinite Aegis spam. It keeps going on a cooldown for me, unlike in the videos.

Anyone know why this is? This is my gear and everything.

The amulet / conduit needs to roll with a specific prefix. You got the wrong one. You need to craft more of them till you get the same prefix / mods for Aegis as the OP.

1 Like

From the build creator mad_lee:

ā€œFirst of all, you are using a wrong conduit. You need one that gives spam mod to Aegis, preferably with Acid resist. Second of all, you need to distribute skill points as shown in the grimtools link, i.e. your Shaman mastery bar points should end with Blood pact, your Heart of the Wild should be at 10/10 and your wendigo totem should be at 12/12. You should also patch your acid resistance. Good luck with the buildā€

(this is from me) Also lee forgot, you should max Raging Tempest. RR is king.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @tqFan, @x1x1x1x2, and Mad_Lee! I didnā€™t realize that the conduit spawns with different prefixes and suffixes. I guess Iā€™m pretty new as to how the item stats work! But loving the build so far!

The retirement is postponed for an undefined but hopefully short period. This monster is still a fortress, crit damage buffs on Aegis were welcome. Here is a little video of its current performance, basically not much has changed:

except

1.1.9.8 Small update

Changed shield component to Serrated Shell - overall a better component here. Using Reinforced Shell was a bit of a blunder :sweat_smile:

New Grimtools are in the op! Here are some videos with buildā€™s current performance:

1.1.9.8 Ravager kill 1:40 kill (no pharma/no cluster)

1.1.9.8 Crucible Gladiator 150-170 ā€œnakedā€ extra spawn 5:04 run

1.1.9.8 Callagadra 2:06 facetank kill

Hey @mad_lee should I take Turtle instead of Panther for HC?

You canā€™t (cuz then you gotta sacrifice Menhirā€™s proc or Hawk and then together with Panther sacrifice your OA will tank a lot) and you donā€™t need to: itā€™s really hard to die with this build already.

1 Like

@lazycalm , I decided to record a video in SR90 to demonstrate buildā€™s tankiness:

Didnā€™t take pharma and played a bit careless trying to facetank both Fabius and Shattered Hinass in the boss chunk. Of course if you are playing on HC and attempting SR 90 with it, take all the pharma and donā€™t pair the bosses.

2 Likes

Hmmmn, seems 1.2 definitely improved itā€™s performance, I was finding it a lot less tanky in 1.9.8 compared to my version. Just did a SR85-86 and died because I got too cocky in the 86 boss room lawl, but it feels a lot better than my previous runs. Died because I forgot IMā€™s sunder was going to be a problem and sheā€™s best taken on 1 to 1.

Probably going to use Dark Progenitor as the medal augment now, since that allows for reduced enemy DA which means MOAR critical hits, which mine needs for higher damage.

Used this set up to kill Ravager of Flesh: Archon, Level 100 (GD 1.2.0.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator Needs fast reflexes though due to his sunder being very deadly and of course because due to stinking hot nights Iā€™ve had poop sleep and so I died a lot. Handles SR86-87 pretty well though in itā€™s standard form. Even before the 1.2 changes iirc.

Just curious, is this the one you are talking about or you also played my version? Medal/judicators/chest/pants choices are kinda important on that.

My version, which is more focused on making Aegis solidly lightning damage based.

Found hard capping the first node pays off well enough and the use of the current medal gives more sustain. Add in the flat RR from Crown and it works pretty well :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, I did test your version pre-1.2 in SR80 and it was definitely suffering due to +elemental resists mutator and felt a lot more glassy than mine. Thatā€™s probably due to my ADHD induced bad piloting skills though and not cycling the defensive procs like I should. Except now your build goes through SR85-86 so much better due to the changes 1.2 introduced.

And thatā€™s even with me getting craptastic sleep of the last month+. And had yet another 20Ā°C night last night too, as climate change is really screwing up the normal patterns of summer weather here in NZ.

1 Like

1.2.0.3 UPDATE!

Mr. @banana_peel had the idea to bump casting speed on this one by using Dread Skull in medal and a Gargoyle Girdle with casting speed affix (and also using Will of the Fallen Kings rune that procs Targo better). I tested it and after few minor tweaks decided to update the spec: itā€™s indeed a little better overall. The trade off is a bit of flat retaliation damage and a bit more expensive gear (you can still use blue belt of course), but itā€™s definitely worth it in the end. Plus there are two affixes between belt and medal that work: Light Bringerā€™s and of Gildam Arcanum which makes it a bit more flexible (both affixes are among the most popular rare affixes in items pools and have around 2.2% to spawn, as corroborated by drop rates mathematician @modal).

Here is a snippet of loot tables for Gargoyle Girdle look, for example:

Find the updated grimtools in the op. Here are the videos with buildā€™s current performance:

2 Likes

when dropped from a Hero-tier gargoyle on Ultimate difficulty, just for clarity

2 Likes

how much does dangerous domain bonus affect affixes/rare affixes?

This is a good question! Challenge layers (as dangerous domains are called in the game files) do improve the odds of getting rare affixes (except in ā€œeasyā€ challenge layers).

The tables @mad_lee showed above assume no challenge layer. The relative frequency of affixes within the same tier does not change depending on challenge layer, only the chance of rare vs. magic.

For example, here are the affix combo rates on Ultimate for a Gargoyle Girdle dropped from a Hero mob (or BossChest, in SR), assuming different challenge layers:

No challenge layer

magic/magic 13.31%
magic/rare  43.17%
rare/magic  43.17%
rare/rare    0.36%

Easy dangerous domain

magic/magic 14.87%
magic/rare  42.21%
rare/magic  42.21%
rare/rare    0.70%

Hard dangerous domain

magic/magic  9.25%
magic/rare  45.00%
rare/magic  45.00%
rare/rare    0.75%

Roguelike dungeon

magic/magic  4.66%
magic/rare  47.27%
rare/magic  47.27%
rare/rare    0.79%

Boss chest in SR

magic/magic  2.48%
magic/rare  48.35%
rare/magic  48.35%
rare/rare    0.81%
4 Likes

interesting, and interesting easy DD actually increases magick magick and lowers single rare affix by about 1% :thinking:

This build is not new, this concept was implemented by Safarel in the game version 1.1.9.4 [https://youtu.be/YYHHU7hOGHc?si=XHwrTWDtMtLkDSJi]. Strange to see that no mention of this respected author of the post did not make.

Hereā€™s an older video by banana_peel and I donā€™t see any mention of it in this Safarelā€™s vid :thinking:
I guess Safarel stole it from him. Also you need PhD to figure out that you can spam Retal Aegis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEJu2FXrhUA

2 Likes