[1.3.0 Mage Hunter] CD Frostmage - simple newb friendly caster build

Now with the changes to Trozan set there can be alternatives to the Clairvoyant. I’ve tinkered around a little and came up with an alternative setup that has a lot more points. Updated the main post

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eVL3Jxw2

Though giving up Rolderathis for Arcane wastes is not exactly an improvement, both tomes have their up and downsides, increased damage makes up for longer cooldown.

Highest damage from crucible

Giving up Amatok for Harp is for slow resistance that is necessary in Crucible now. Though it helps with mana management too.

This setup was also more or less successful in the new waves though I do not think it is reliable, I can easily imagine situations where it would be destroyed.

Added 160-170 video with double Reaper https://youtu.be/lFM7BQShff0

What can I say
I remember reading Titan Quest forums at the time where there was one player giving expert advice to another on how to deal with draconians: “If you hear the whining sound - RUN!”

If you see the Reaper at 170 - run! No way one is facetankable, nevermind two of them

Hi MammothHunter, I am currently leveling up a mage hunter, but I took different approach which is tri-element using +5 overcap rune of haggarad, calastor, and egoloth as damage dealer.
What I want to ask is how do you deal with healing sustain as inquisitor and arcanist do not provide spell that leech life like Necromancer do.

Aside word of renewal, do you only use proc from devotions like giant’s blood and wayward soul?

Thanks in advance!! and great build BTW!!

Hi

How do commandos heal? Well, they don’t take damage. It takes looking at one of the links, but maybe you’re on the phone. Yes, I have both giant’s blood and wayvard soul and with word of renewal thats enough for most situations.

Life steal is great to have but is not end all be all.

I have taken a look at your link and have seen the ability, items, and devotions you choose.

I usually play melee or melee hybrid :D. I just tried caster and still study the mechanism. Apologize for the noob questions.

I am trying to level up this build:
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YNnaqGyZ

It was really hard though. The damage from rune and elgoloth is quite nice, but I am trying hard to survive as it can only heal with pot for starter.

Ultos and Ulzuin in one setup is cool.

You don’t have some resistances capped, I hope its not the final setup. Not capping them will result in HUGE damage spikes, it is common to try to overcap every resist by 40 now because mobs can also reduce them, it is very common in act 5-6. If you happen to have allagast stormgems they might help you. Arcanoweave cord also has chaos resist. Getting some pants with hp should help you immensely too. Perhaps bloodied crystal. If poison res is the problem, you can swap survivor’s ingenuity for Sylvarria’s essence.

Not maxing lightning tether might not be a very good idea, people even leave storm box at one point but overcap tether. If you don’t think you can overcap both you can try the same.

Ultos and Ulzuin in one setup is cool.

You don’t have some resistances capped, I hope its not the final setup. Not capping them will result in HUGE damage spikes, it is common to try to overcap every resist by 40 now because mobs can also reduce them, it is very common in act 5-6. If you happen to have allagast stormgems they might help you. Arcanoweave cord also has chaos resist. Getting some pants with hp should help you immensely too. Perhaps bloodied crystal. If poison res is the problem, you can swap survivor’s ingenuity for Sylvarria’s essence.

Is it? The elemental res is massively overcap by over 100% with all buff, piercing by 20%, bleed by 31%, vitality by 18%, Aether & chaos by almost 40%.
Only stun and acid are not much overcapped.
Or, did I miss something?

HP is slightly lower than yours, but I am trying to compensate it by adding additional healing by healing winds (mythical touch of the everliving grove)

Not maxing lightning tether might not be a very good idea, people even leave storm box at one point but overcap tether. If you don’t think you can overcap both you can try the same.

I see. I choose to overcap elgoloth and just put 1 point in lightning tether because +% elemental damage does not benefit DOT.
I suppose I can sacrifice 6 points from word of renewal to cap lightning tether.

This build is still in progress. I am only theorycrafting it without having played inquisitor at the first place… :stuck_out_tongue:

I am still leveling the inquisitor and still testing the skills.
Thank you so much for helping… :D:D

You are looking at your res with prismatic barrier from pants on but it is only active 1/4 of the time. Disable showing proc buffs in grim tools, they are misguiding.

Your hp is low, even my 12-13K isn’t very good, you should try to get higher and the most reasonable way is pants with hp. Though mage hunter has a lot of flat hp but not so much %hp buffs, if you can find some %hp it will be more efficient.

Right, you don’t have electrocute at all. Thats unfortunate, storm box is all about electrocute and I’m not sure it will be very useful to you without it. You want around 1500% for reasonable damage, or better 2000%

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/L2J8rjkZ

Thanks for the quick fix!

BTW, I choose to equip 2x Myth eternal band because of the skill disruption protection.
I heard that it is quite crucial for the 151-170 crucible wave.
I see yours has no skill disruption resist at all and still can complete the new crucible, so I might be wrong.

Shifting toward lightning & electrocute will make damage losses from both runes.
I am not quite sure about this.

What i have in my mind is elgoloth is used because of the DA shred.
Together with biting cold and item skill modifier for horn of gandar, it will make 600+ DA shred. Thus, I can crits often and activate procs often.

I will try to search for other pants that gives more HP and res. Worse come to worse, I might need to use green pants.

I have tinkered with the build a bit, sacrificing some OA to maximize elgoloth & tether, increasing electrocute damage, and increasing HP. It uses double rings MI now though:
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YZe1OKdZ

Looks better now. :wink:

DA debuff from biting cold won’t stack with horn of Gandarr. Also going above 3800 total OA is not efficient (counting deadly aim and DA debuff)

Oh shits, is it because they both has the wording “# reduced ttarget’s XXX”?
There goes my reason to use horn of gandarr.
I will try to look for another tome to replace this one then.

BTW, DA shred from elgoloth can still stack with biting cold right?

Yes. Its the same mechanic as resist reduction

Does it make sense to use Hourglass here? ( instead of Amatok ).

Something like this…

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/wV1jvwPZ

For CC resist perhaps. The only skill that really benefits from Aeon proc is mirror. Word of renewal to some degree. Rune and trozan have 1,2 and 1,6 sec cooldowns.

Its not bad per se just doesn’t feel very synergistic here. It will help in crucible wave 160-170 if you want to go there, even 50% slow resist alone is fantastic. But won’t be very useful outside it.

Thanks for your reply.

It’s always nice to see a non-full set & begginer-friendly build, which works at 150-170.

I’m wondering whether this sort of build could work with a pistol (current ultimate target: Mythical Chillborer), for the (admittedly brief) times when both Rune and Sky Shard are on cooldown.

Granted that my Mage Hunter is only L21 right now, so direct experience with reducing cooldown for each to less than two seconds isn’t exactly there…

Its not the kind of build to stop working, even if losing that wand means -300% cold and lightning and a skill modifier. But what do you need that pistol for? From the looks of it, thats for attacks, and DOTs?

:confused:

I was mostly thinking in terms of there being no lulls between Rune and Sky Shard casts. That is, fill the lulls with bullet shots.

There are chillspikes from the seal of the night. They have frostburn too and can kill trash, much better than shooting. The wand has 290% cold and lightning +120% more if you use Trozan hat as the 2nd set bonus, extra projectile and flat damage to trozan. If you want to optimize a trozan build, thats huge.