[1.1.8.0 / update: 1.1.9.4] Budget physical AAR Battlemage

Introduction

“You don’t want battlemage for AAR, trust me.” (grey-maybe)

The Battlemage (arcanist, soldier) is a class that has a reputation for being “problematic”. This is especially true for the endgame, recognizable by the fact that there are relatively few top performers listed in the Build Compendium Build Compendium X (Forgotten Gods) - #11 by Stupid_Dragon. The following short guide will show that this does not necessarily apply to the non endgame and a budget Albrecht’s Aether Ray (AAR) battlemage works rather well. Whereby one should rather say an arcanist with soldier as supporting class can work for most of the levelling.

The character starts as arcanist and ends as full faction gear / monster infrequent physical AAR battlemage. However, the currently preferred class for endgame with physical AAR is templar (arcanist, oathkeeper). Stupid_Dragon posted a guide for an AAR templar [1.1.7.2] Beginner's Scorching Ray Templar - #26 by Stupid_Dragon. Luckily, as the base class in both cases is arcanist, most of the information written there are valid here, too (and there is surely more knowledge about levelling there than you can expect here).

Only self-found equipment and self-found crafting materials were used while levelling. Also, no mandates were transferred, writs were bought as soon as possible. However, all necessary blueprints were already found with earlier characters. Earlier in the levelling process, enchanted flints were used to increase the damage. However, the single most important blueprint for the built is the Seal of Might - it is a key component and required for the physical end version. Blueprints for high level relics might be problematic, so use the best one you currently have at hand. The character was started in 1.1.7.2, patch 1.1.8.0 arrived in ultimate after already reaching level 100. Notable changes are: AAR was slightly nerved, leading to a loss of around 2000 dps (damage per second). This is countered by reduced enemy resistances and increased resistance reduction (RR) on war cry (Break Moral and Terrify node). No notable loss in power after the patch was felt, the impression was more that there was a small power gain.

1.1.8.0 final status of the build (Grimtools)

charSheet

The attribute bonuses provided by the gear allow to reach the necessary spirit level without investing one point in spirit, so a rather strong cunning dumb (putting as much attribute points as possible in cunning) was possible. Physique is a bit higher than necessary, but I prefer a bit more defense ability and health.

The necessary resistances can be reached without specific pre- or suffixes. Here is a skeleton guy using only pre- and suffix free monster infrequents - with already overcapped resistances (Grimtools).

Note: The character has invested one point in Menhir’s Will, which - well - does not even work for the build (as it requires either a shield or two-hand weapon). Feel free to use the skill point for another skill, e.g. for decorated soldier. (the thank goes to @Ulvar1 for spotting this error)

A larger update of the final version of the build, more or less following @Ulvar1 proposal using Beronath, Reforged (blueprint sold by Vinelton) for the elemental damage converted to physical damage and Fleshwarped Pauldrons for additional aether damage conversion. Both nodes of Albrecht’s Aether Ray (AAR) are maxed using gear - including Aleksander’s Legguards. To have also another +1 to all skills in Soldier, the character also uses a Kaisan’s Burning Eye. So two nemesis MI are used which certainly calls into question the status as a budget build.

However, the complete new gear was farmed in 1.1.9.4 using the 1.1.8.0 version (which minor changes - e.g. removing the point invested in Menhir’s Will). Aleksander was relatively easy, Kasian a bit more problematic (two deaths). The used legguards and amulett was the first one dropped, for other MI gear multiple farming runs were made - including power shopping for Pulsing Shard (to have one with +4 to AAR) and the head as well shoulder armor.

The build was able to finish Shattered Realm 65/66 (two death in 65, non in 66 - but it was rather slow) and kill Morgoneth - as well as the necessary nemesis for the gear.

Current status of the build (Grimtools)

charSheet_update
(damage for AAR with all permanent buffs)

Performance

The build was able to finish Shattered Realm 65/66 (two death in 65, non in 66 - but it was rather slow) and kill Morgoneth - as well as the necessary nemesis for the gear (Aleksander, Kaisan).

The full campaign with both expansions was finished in all three difficulties (Veteran, Elite, Ultimate). Monster totems were activated on sight - after cleaning the surrounding area. The first 10 levels were a bit harder, some of the harder fights happened in this phase (I look at you Kyzogg and first Monster Totem), The build becomes later rather tanky, stronger enemies (stronger heroes, later nemesis) or group of heroes require sensible positioning (e.g. do not standing in ground effects all the time). Especially dangerous are arcane heroes with their nullification ability.

Most challenge dungeons can be finished (in ultimate: Ancient Grove in 1.1.8.0, all earlier ones in 1.1.7.2). So far only the Tomb of the Heretic (1.1.8.0) was not successful finished. In the only run so far, Morgoneth proved too strong in the end. Shard 15 was reached in the Shattered Realm in ultimate for the additional skill points. The following nemesis were slain in ultimate: Benn’Jahr (1.1.7.2), Grava’Thul (1.1.8.0), Kaisan (1.1.8.0), Kubacabra (1.1.8.0), Moosilauke (1.1.7.2) and Valdaran (1.1.7.2).

Levelling / Skills

The character starts as arcanist and plays as an AAR arcanist for most of the game. Soldier as supporting class comes rather late and was used at the beginning mostly for the attribute points. All information provided by Stupid_Dragon in the templar guide regarding the arcanist side of the templar are therefore valid for this character, too. The most notable differences between this build and Stupid_Dragons templar are: (1) this build uses AAR also while levelling, (2) has no additional movement damage skill and (3) shows almost a complete disregard for resist reduction abilities for most of the game. Regarding (1), after the AAR changes in 1.1.8.0, using conflagration might be now even more sensible. I did not used it to not become too early blueprint dependent. (2) A movement skill is imperative, therefore a rune was bought after finishing act 1 in veteran. However, this character is a mono damage skill character, and has therefore less skills to activate devotions skills / procs. (3) Using AAR has the advantage that the skill has three different damage types, this and because of the raw damage, there was no real need for strong RR in veteran and elite. That said, the 1.1.8.0 War Cry with Terrify sounds rather intersting for this character and would have been used earlier (investing 4 points around level 50 - 1 in War Cry, 3 in Terrify)

This character was levelled using Fireblast provided by the Searing Ember component early on and than moving as fast as possible to AAR as base attack. In the first 10 levels, the focus was Iskandra’s Elemental Exchange, for the flat damage and the increased energy regeneration and elemental damage. The strongest weapon was used until Searing Ember became available. Afterward, AAR was rushed and kept as base attack for the rest of the game. Additional support skills from the arcanist mastery were added over time. Energy regeneration was a minor problem at the beginning, but there are Elixirs of Spirit.

Investing points in soldier was only started shortly before level 40 was reached, focusing solely on the mastery bar. Field command and Squad Tactics were added shortly before level 60 was reached. The move to physical AAR with the necessary changes was made at level 95. The veteran campaign was finished around level 75, elite was rushed, the focus were quests, equipment farming and reputation farming. At the end of elite level 95 was reached. In ultimate, level 100 was reached before Homestead.

For important skills in the arcanist mastery, see Stupid_Dragon Templar guide, I however prefer a stronger focus on Iskandra’s Elemental Exchange for the energy regeneration and the elemental damage bonus. In the soldier mastery, Field Command (offense and defense ability, armor) and Squad Tactics (casting speed and damage bonus) are important, as well War Cry (damage reduction, 12/12) and Terrify (for the pre physical version 3/3). For the physical version, maxing Break Moral instead of Terrify is imperative. The elemental version used as exclusive skill Reckless Power, the physical one Oleron’ Rage. Other passive skills in the soldier mastery were selected to increase stats. Not all skills are min-maxed for ideal perfomance in the current final build, see e.g. the odd number of points invested in Inner Focus (15/12).

Faction-wise, I sided with the Order of Death’s Vigil (this decision is not that important) and stayed friendly with Barrowholm. It is important to increase the reputation with key factions for the core gear as fast as possible. Revered was reached for the important factions at the end of Elite with the help of writs and a bit of reputation farming. Helpful is that two pieces of key gear can be found in the Forgotten Gods campaign and farming this gear also helps to increase the reputation with these key factions.

Update 1.1.9.4

Changed gear to max both AAR nodes. A much more expensive setup using one legendary item (with blueprint sold by one vendor) and monster infrequents (includung two from nemesis). Damage increase by almost 50%.

Character Snapshots

level 10: Arcanist, Level 10 (GD 1.1.8.0) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

level 20: Arcanist, Level 20 (GD 1.1.8.0) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

level 30: Arcanist, Level 30 (GD 1.1.8.0) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

level 40: Battlemage, Level 40 (GD 1.1.8.0) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

level 50: Battlemage, Level 50 (GD 1.1.8.0) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

level 60: Battlemage, Level 60 (GD 1.1.8.0) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

level 70: Battlemage, Level 70 (GD 1.1.8.0) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

level 80: Battlemage, Level 80 (GD 1.1.8.0) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

level 90: Battlemage, Level 90 (GD 1.1.8.0) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

level 91: Battlemage, Level 91 (GD 1.1.8.0) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (level 90 faction gear update)

level 95: Battlemage, Level 95 (GD 1.1.8.0) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (going physical)

level 100: Battlemage, Level 100 (GD 1.1.8.0) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (reaching level 100)

level 100: Battlemage, Level 100 (GD 1.1.8.0) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (1.1.8.0 final character)

level 100: Battlemage, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.5) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (1.1.9.4 update)

savegame (1.1.9.4): _Elistra.zip (1.5 MB)

Devotions

Levelling

Scholar’s light: to get some energy regeneration and elemental damage
Bat: to have at least some kind of Adcth (Twin Fangs), but as this build has non of its damage converted, it is not that powerfull
Viper: offensive ability, reduced targets elemental resistances
Sailor’s Guide and Eel: defense and movement speed (and blue affinity)
Solemn Watcher: defense
Spider and Lizard: stat bonuses, getting blue and green affinities
Korvaak: offensive abilties, damage
Lion: yellow affinity
Dryad: stats, Dryad’s blessing (healing on War Cry)
Scales of Ulcama: stats, energy regeneration, healing
Obelisk of Menhir: defense, armor
Assassin’s Blade: one point for later usage

see Grimtools

Physical AAR

Eel, Solemn Watcher, Dryad, Scales of Ulcama stay
Assassin’s Blade: RR
Hammer: physical damage, affinity points
Owl: affinity points
Empty Throne: defense
Havestman’s Scythe: stats, defense, energy regeneration
Azrakaa: physical damage
Oleron: physical damage
Dire Bear: physical damage, stats

see Grimtools

Eel and one node of Oleron to Sailor’s Guide (slow and physical resistance)

see Grimtools

Gear

The damage can be increased by using Mythical Legionnaire’s Triumph as belt. The loss of +1 to all skills in Arcanist is countered by increased aether to physical damage conversion. A very good belt can increase the dps by 4 to 5 percents.

Monster Infrequents:

Viper Sandspitter: Elemental to physical damage conversion, having a high percentage (close to the max) is important, increased casting speed is helpful to reach 200% casting speed
Korvan Spaulders: Elemental to physical damage conversion, having a high percentage (close to the max) is important
Pulsing Shard: Attack damage converted to health (Adcth) for AAR, casting speed is helpful to reach 200% casting speed
Fleshwarped Casque: War Cry and Iskandra’s Elemental Exchange mode
Dreeg-Sect Legguards: Mostly for the resistances and the offensive abilities, but other good pants will also work

Faction Gear:

Elite Malmouth Aetherblaze Vestment: energy regeneration and AAR bonus
Hearth of Malmouth: +1 to all skills in Arcanist
Bysmiel Mark of Storms: physical damage and armor bonus
Coven Storm Seals: physical damage, defense ability and Field Command bonus
Elite Rhowari Handguards: casting speed
Elite Harvest Greaves: resistences
Vile Girdle: offensive ability, +1 to all skills in Arcanist

Relic:

Serenity: +1 to all skills and resistences

Components:

Seal of Might: Aether to physical damage conversion, resistances
Mark of Illusion: defense ability, sprit and energy regeneration
Arcane Spark: energy leech and skill disruption, offensive ability is a nice bonus

Augments:

Bysmiel’s Shroud: physical damage and offensive ability
Arcanum Dust: defense ability, energy regeneration, increased damage

Note: Viper Sandspitter and Korvan Spaulders should have together at least 90% elemental to physical damage conversion. Also, check the vendors repeatedly for the buyable faction gear, having maxed gear in the relevant statistics is a cheap bonus for every character. For some gear slots lower level version are just fine. This is especially true for the Pulsing Shard, as the primary reason for this off-hand is the AAR modifier. Lower level gear has the advantage that it has also lower physique / spirit requirements - which allows to invest more points in cunning.

What Else / What Now

Go Farming: The character is able to farm totems, most challenge dungeons, nemesis and low shards in the Shattered Realm in ultimate. It can be used to farm the endgame set for this class, Krieg’s Armament .

The current list of endgame builds can be found in the Build Compendium Build Compendium X (Forgotten Gods) - #11 by Stupid_Dragon. Keep in mind that the changes in 1.1.8.0 might have increased the relative strength of battlemages and have made them more endgame viable.

Retal_Abuser provided below a build as end game reference for a physical AAR battlemage. And has now finally made an own thread for his end-game AAR Battlemage: [1.1.9.6] Physical Albrecht's Aether Ray Battlemage ( Crate, Ravager of Flesh, SR 90, 5 min Crucible)

11 Likes

Remarkable.

Surprised you’ve managed to squeeze 90k AAR dps out of such setup. The usual problem with less supported setups is you’re either lacking skillpoints, conversions or %damage, in your case offhand, amulet, chest and relic don’t have %physical damage and that would be a good chunk of damage missing. Moreover affixes on physical gear pieces don’t even have %physical.

Another peculiar thing about your build is the amount of attributes. Sure it’s Battlemage, but it’s still surprisingly high cunning for a build with 770 spirit and 1k physique. I see your gear has a lot of %attribute gear and you’re also using Harvestman’s Scythe. So that’s on purpose, right?

Interesting work, well done!

EDIT: seems like grey baited you into doing that, haha
tbh if I was boxed into making an AAR battlemage I’d had simply went lightning, farmed phys AAR offhand with that and then respecced.

2 Likes

Nice, this is kinda what I was thinking about for a budget pseudo phys AAR templar. You could use this build as an endgame reference, did SR 80 on HC. I kinda wanna make it on SC to properly limit test it, but I am playing another build currently.

2 Likes

Thanks alot :).

The resulting dps was also a surprise for me, as - like you said - lots of gear lacks %physical - but I think the cunning dump helped here. I think the advantage of the cunning dump and the rather low base %physical is that the impact is stronger than usual, as we are not in the area of strongly dismishing returns.

The %attribute stuff on the gear happened more by accident than planed. I had to take what was dropped - and this was the best stuff available for the build. However, the impact of all the %attribute on the gear together and the devotions showed a really good synergy - e.g. not needing one point in spirit was not expected. Harvestman’s Scythe was selected because of the energy regeneration, %defense ability, but also the stat bonuses it provides - and it fits rather good in the devotion setup.

Cool budget build.

I’ve noticed that you listed Serenity Relic as gear but you have Salvation instead on the Grimtools.

The relic used in the actual played version is Serenity - the skeleton grimtools is a bit different because I also tried to avoid using a level 90 relics there. But finally, as I had found the necessary crafting material, I could not resist and used Serenity.

I like physical albrech ray this is my version https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YVW1kq7N I try to get better pants and shoulders but no luck in shatter realm =(

I was thinking Beronath, Reforged you can shop blueprint in ancient groove, just enter once and go back and forward between the levels of dungeon to make shop reset. Then you can use Fleshwarped Pauldrons and convert more aether damage to physical.

some thing like this https://www.grimtools.com/calc/xZyQGlmZ or use loghorrean shoulders with + AAR to get max rank https://www.grimtools.com/calc/62amRj32

Edit: I noticed you have menhir will, it does not work with caster off-hand

2 Likes

:innocent:
haha, the second time I made this error - I sense a trend - if I don’t take it, all ask why I don’t take - if I take, it does not work atl all for this build (I really typically take it automatically without really thinking about it - so I guess at least this point is proven now - well happens if your base Soldier has either a shield or a 2 hand weapon)

more serious: will add a comment above about this senseless point :slight_smile:

1 Like

damned if you do, damned if you don’t :slight_smile:

1 Like

Updated the build using a more expensive setup - sheet damage increased by almost 50%. Gear necessary for the new setup was farmed using the old character.

2 Likes

This is one of my favourite build , any update for 9.6 ?

the 1.1.9.4 update works still fine (and even the old version was only rarely affected by the latest patches) - a budget build does not need an update with every patch :slight_smile:

1 Like