2nd expansion

Hmm, I am not very knowledgeable on the subject but that would only be the case for In-House engines correct?

If they use something like CryEngine or Unity then it’d be a different story wouldn’t it?
And doesn’t Unity have better Isometric Support than Cry and Unreal or am I misinformed on this account?

Honestly, I’d prefer that they continue developing content for GD, while they settle up for GD 2, because, for the development of GD 2, they would need to work on a new engine, which could take quite a while for it to happen, plus there is still some stuff that they need to wrap up before moving for a sequel, like the questlines from the kymon’s and death vigil factions, and for GD 2 to be a thing, the plot would neet to take place in a different time period in Cairn.

It wouldn’t make much sense for the sequel to simply continue in the same exact period of time of the first game, unless they do some massive ass pull to make sense, as there wouldn’t be a way to continue playing with our hero character on a totally different game, right?

I’d like to see GD 2 take place years before the first game, during a time where guns weren’t invented yet, and places like Arkovia are still intact… but that can wait for now.

I will settle for a 2nd expension for the story to be told. Unless you find out in GD2 what happened. Anyway it would certainly take a long time for GD2 to happend, since Crate wants a brake from it.

About a new engine Crate is using the Unity engine for a new project they are working on. So if they have a good experience with it, than i could see them using a existing engine. Creating a new one would probably be very time consuming.

But then the Glorious Dawn wouldn’t have happened, so would it really still be GD?

Pre-Dawn 3 acts, leads to Grim Dawn that then leads to Post Dawn.
15 acts of awesomness

Maybe Grim Dawn 2 won’t actually be called Grim Dawn 2?

Figures they were working on some different type of game… thing is were all ARPG fans and were here for GD, question is… if the game they’re developing even interest us or another type of fanbase. They’re rolling the dice on this new game from another genre, good luck to them.

On the other hand, i hope we blow the lids off of sales for AoM to give them no reason not to do a expansion or a GD sequel. I’m for sure buying multiple copies myself

I’m gonna be honest, sucks to hear 12-18 months of development and money is being put into something else that’s not based in the Grim Dawn world makes me sad but i understand developing one type of game might be boring or exhausting for the dev team. I just want a reason to play GD as long as possible, it’s a world i enjoy playing in and i’m selfish, could care less about any other game but Grim Dawn. Just being real about it… i just love what GD has become and the community that surrounds it.

Well, it would probably either be Unity or Unreal, since CryEngine is very lacking in documentation last I read and much more focused on FPS style games. Sure, you can use it for other genre’s, but you’ll a lot more work making the code to support the the gameplay. See Star Citizen for the ur-example of how “fun” developing a game in CE can be. No idea though if Amazon’s Lumberyard work is any better though.

Unity and Unreal on the other hand are pretty flexible, with both engines having reams of documentation and tools and Unity’s plugin system making it even more flexible, and it’s lower cost of admission has made it the choice of many a indy game dev.

As for an in house engine - for that you need a suitable team of knowledgeable and experienced programmers and game needs already locked in requirements and extensive QA support to locate and deal with bugs as they occur. All of which costs money for wages and time for the engine to be developed to the point it’s usable. Usually meaning it’s cheaper to grab a 3rd party engine and add what you need to it, unless of course none of those engines meet your requirements or you have suitable cash reserves and head management is feeling over optimistic/insane.

Dev time wise - can definitely be done in under 7 years, but that depends on the skills of the programmers and who’s ever in charge of them, along with the scope of the game and whether or not there’s prior work to build on. With the usual fun resulting from bugs, mismanagement, programmer burn out, scope blow-out and ye olde performance brick walls that can’t be overcome without major re-writes or scrapping the current engine (r.e Limit Theory). And even then, certain engine issues may not be dealt with until months after launch, r.e. every X game ever from Egosoft, with X:Rebirth being the worst offender due largely to thread timing issues that weren’t dealt with before launch.

Now as for what Crate might do, that depends on their requirement’s list and any prototyping that may be done, within the scope of their limited budget and what engine they’re using for the city builder they’re also working on. Though I lean to them using Unity, simply because it’s stupidly flexible and apparently relatively easy to use (mostly, it has it’s quirks with creating planets r.e. Empyrion: Galactic Survival and Kerbal Space Programme). Plus there’s plenty of documentation and examples to work from, along with people experienced in working with it.

As for Expacs - all up for it, if only to finish the story started in GD and develop my builds further.

But what I’d really like to see is a the GD lore used for a game similar to Fallout: New Vegas, which is pretty much a pipe dream…

It’s a good idea but I certainly wouldn’t waste the concept on a ARPG. The open world fantasy rpg genre is wide open for the taking. No one wants to step on Bethesda’s toes but fuck them i say.

I would very much prefer they work on expacs rather than GD2.

But If Crate want to continue the GD lore with a new game, then I think a game represented in different genre would be good.

And if they insist on doing Arpg for their next big project, I would prefer a different setting/world.