[Discord Cadence] Cortosian's Witchblade - DW Elemental Cadence Discord Build

Discord got changed a little two patches ago and at that time i noticed some people being curious about this skill. Most of them went Battlemage due to Arcanist supporting Elemental damage type decently. I personally prefer Occultist, obviously this doesn’t mean Discord Battlemage aren’t possible it’s just that both class combinations have their own unique playstyle and one can pick whatever they want.

The guide took time mainly because the setup i personally run and the one i specially made for the forums are vastly different. I am going to share both setups. Regardless of version the build has great AoE and Cadence is good for bursty single target damage.

Build Concept-

1. Cortosian-

The moment one hears Discord Cadence, the first thing that comes to mind is the weapon Beronath,Reforged. That’s one of my personal favorite weapons due to all the lore behind it. Also, it’s a solid choice for an elemental weapon.

But despite that i don’t use it. Instead i prefer Empowered Cortosian Invoker. Why? Simple, any elemental lover would be familiar with the skill Panetti’s Replicating Missiles.
Well this item’s proc is a weaker version of Panetti’s Replicating Missile, it doesn’t do much but it’s a nice proc.

My own weapon in both setups is an Aetherwarped Cleaver with Incanter’s Prefix.

Pretty much anything can be used with Incanter’s Prefix, i just used Aetherwarped Axe because it was the only Incanter weapon i had.
This prefix also grants the PRM proc, but the version is stronger than the one granted by Cortosian Invoker.

2. Elemental-

Let me say this outright, in the current state of the game. Taking into account - devotions, items and resistance reduction sources. Elemental is the most poorly supported damage type. Even though individually each element is very OP.
The tier-3 constellation in particular is in my opinion the worst constellation on the map considering it’s status as a tier-3 constellation.

Fortunately, we can more or less counter this by making some creative choices in the devotion map.

3. Witchblade vs. Battlemage-

When picking Battlemage, i’d recommend going for Iskandra Armor pieces. Iskandra’s Elemental Exchange has some nice elemental support. But the most important advice is to pick Necrosis for the RR.
Battlemage will have nice support for the damage type, but the poor resistance reduction values are a big hit.

Witchblade on the other hand is stuck with Warborn, but the relic slot is freed up. Of course Necrosis is an option, same for the amulet slot one can use Pestilence of Dreeg for further RR. But Witchblade already has the Resistance Reduction part covered more so than Battlemage (through CoD and Elemental Storm). So the focus is using items that give out Elemental Bonuses.

Both class combinations will have their own unique playstyle.

This is the Level 100 Version of GrimTools. Please refer to this from now on, the rest of the guide will be updated later at some point
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/aZqmra4Z (1.0.4.0)

Non-MoD version
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNk35EqN (1.0.4.0)

GrimTools link (w/ plus skills and devotions but w/o items)-

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/0V0AqXZm

-GrimTools link is using Empowered Cortosian Invokers since not everyone can get the weapon i use right now and Empowered Cortosian Invoker was my weapon of choice before i got my Incanter weapon.

-I deliberately skipped Widow and Solael’s Witchblade since having their RR applied on a single target is PITA for melee play and is a DPS loss.

-Tempest was picked to boost Lightning damage. Of Course one is free to go for Leviathan for the flat Cold bonuses.
This is the Calc of my Nex v Ortus Saboteur to give you guys an idea - http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-SbGX4P

-If one doesn’t wish to pick Ulzuin’s Torch at all then this is another setup.
This is the calc of my ABB/Savagery Lightning Trickster to give you guys an idea - http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-dxGFJe

-Devotion can be done in many different ways. Going Blind Sage imo gimps your overall damage potential. Unless you pick both Blind Sage and Leviathan (yes it’s possible), but the Seeker proc feels unimpressive.

Keybinding-

LMB- Cadence (w/ Elemental Storm)
RMB- War Cry
Keyboard 1- Curse of Frailty
Keyboard 2- Blood of Dreeg
Keyboard 3- Blitz (w/ Meteor Shower)

Mutilate (WPS) -> Reckless Tempest

Reckless Tempest has been bound to the WPS granted by our relic, one can alternatively use Markovian’s Advantage for the binding.

Screenshots (Contain only Toggled Auras and Blood of Dreeg)-

1. Warborn Setup-

2. My Setup-

3. Rashalga Kill-

Items-

I’ll only post the item names of the Warborn Setup as my own setup uses some extremely rare green items (whose names i don’t think will be useful even if i do tell you guys), i never played the warborn setup till a week ago or maybe a little earlier.
I went Warborn solely for posting this build on forum as the green item version i use isn’t fit for posting. I went with the green setup mainly cause i am personally sick of Warborn set.
Of Course Warborn setup is also able to achieve good results.

Weapons- 2x Incanter’s Aetherwarped Cleaver of Voracity
Helm- Warborn Visor
Shoulders- Warborn Pauldrons
Chest- Warborn Chestguard
Pants- Stonehide Solael-Sect Legguards of Nature’s Bounty
Gloves- Voidsteel Gauntlets
Feet- Stonehide Exalted Treads of Kings
Belt- Reforged Chains of Oleron
Ring 1- Sapphire of Elemental Balance
Ring 2- Ruby of Elemental Balance
Amulet- Empowered Essence of Beronath
Medal- Mark of Divinity
Relic- Blademaster’s Talisman

• As mentioned above my own setup isn’t using Warborn solely because i personally am sick of using it.
  • The entire setup can work with any weapon with Incanter’s Prefix
  • Aetherwarped Axe is being used solely cause it is literally the only Incanter weapon i have.
  • Empowered Cortosian Invoker also works well here, i used it before i got this axe somewhere (Can’t recall where).
  • One can opt for Beronath, Reforged but you’d miss out on this visually impressive proc (PRM) and defeats the theme of this build.

Bosses-

Strong build, tanky enough to face anyone.

Special Note: Rashalga-

One CoF cast and the screen is filled with procs. Each proc is classified as a projectile. She’ll put more holes in you than Barzini’s men put in Sonny Corleone if you’re near her when her aura is active.
She requires kiting but is doable.

In Closing-

This build is decent, i only like it cause of the PRM proc otherwise i am not a big fan since i don’t like Cadence very much (personal preference).

Discord still needs better item support imo, shoehorning us to pick Warborn or Iskandra (Battlemage exclusive) isn’t very appealing. An Elemental Cadence set might change my opinion of the Discord Modifier.
Another suggestion i’d like to make is to add the Replicating Missile proc to a Legendary Weapon.

Overall, i loved that i could make Discord work more or less. Going multiple elements i still prefer Nex v Ortus Saboteur over this, personally since i am big fan of Amarasta’s Blade Burst. The PRM proc is what makes Discord Witchblade attractive and is the reason why i like to log into this from time to time.

Anyways, i hope you guys enjoy this build. Let up hope Crate adds more love for Discord with the expansion.

1 Like

(Reserved)

Reserved for Later

gwfojhmlfwhlw aswell !

oh god yes ! a discord build, cant wait to see where i failed so many times ^^

Grim Tools loading is too slow for me (really bad internet)

I know GT is needed by popular demand

Could someone whip up a GT link for me using this GrimCalc

http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-N4yaKE

I’ll only add GT to the main thread

I’ll update it fully when i log in

Sorry for the delay

It looks like Panetti’s. Still curious to see though, as my Discord Cadence Battlemage was AWFUL.

It’s a witchblade not a battlemage.

I noticed in the Grimcalc, yes. But I went Battlemage for my attempt at Discord Cadence, figuring Iskandra’s and the Inner Focus would be ideal. It wasn’t. Nor was stupidly using the Iskandra’s Set, either, because that went terribly for me.

Personally I much favor Equipment Manager over GT Build Calculator because it allows to work with Grimcalc links and I find drop-down lists more convenient to work with to choose items. Possible range on resists is also very welcome even if there’s some stuff that isn’t accurate.

Here’s what I could reverse engineer from the grimcalc and screens on GT, the + skills will add automatically as you fill in the gear which is very nice. http://www.grimtools.com/calc/1NXlg9ND

We literally have the exact same build except my weapons/devos are ever so slightly different :smiley:

Failed how?

I never tried Battlemage, but i assume Iskandra and Badge of Mastery with Necrosis would do the trick
Dual-Wield is another story

Thanks for this

Saved me a lot of time

I love it how our ideas match. Even the Pistol Lightning Conjurer i posted way back you said something like this
“It feels awesome when you’re not the only one playing a build doesn’t it” :smiley:

Guide should be updated now

Here’s the full grimtools link of your primary build (foregoing your unlisted augments): http://www.grimtools.com/calc/eVLJvPNG

Hey man thanks

I deliberately didn’t add the rest of the items since i didn’t feel like they were needed. I was just interested in the Calc part of GT

Next time i log into the game i will add updated version of your link after confirming the augments

Thanks again (i added a modified version of the link you posted)

you got me sold with ur PRM build… and now this?..

what do you think of fury axes instead of voracity?

-edit Ithink this build gave me some grand ideas for a new build…

thanks again

I couldn’t seem to survive once I hit more than one hero. No matter what I tried, it was a battle of extremes. Either I hit like a wet noodle, or I died way too easily for a melee character. There’s probably SOME way to pull off Melee Battlemage with the Iskandra’s set, but I couldn’t find it. And no, not Dual, had the Iskandra offhand. I don’t think I tried Necrosis though, good idea.

On your build, though… What does PITA stand for? How many PRM style procs do you think you can really push into this? And you’ve inspired me to try and make a crappy PRM build that focuses on PRM proc gear now… So many fragments, so little time.

I’ll have to ask RNG :rolleyes:

But imo Fury should be a bit weaker than Voracity due to AS being capped

Very nice. :slight_smile: Didn’t touch Discord in forever. Wish I had more time atm so could try this out. :cool:

PITA = Pain in the Ass ( I blame JoV, SuperFluff, Drizzto and Stoya for overusing this word :rolleyes:)

Not sure, i invest to heavily into PRM procs, i used to use Cortosian Invokers before the axes.

But i doubt i can push too many procs into this

As for Battlemage, can’t say what caused your build to die so much, the only case where i am really running with my tail between my legs is the Queen fight in case i slip up
Otherwise screens is filled so much with procs that i hardly die be it one on one or crowded situation

Ty :cool:

Added a link to a feedback thread regarding itemization in the game

Link added with red text

Here is a link for the lazy ones :stuck_out_tongue: - http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53044

EDIT:

In case you want a legendary with that cool looking PRM proc, here’s a poll i made - http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53045

I just crafted 1000 daggers and only got one “Incanter’s” without even a suffix. How much time did it take for you to get these weapons?