64-Bit Executable Crashes Immediately

Been playing GD for a long time, but after the 1.2 update I decided to try again. Windows 11 computer was formatted and reinstalled fresh, along with the GOG version 1.2.0.2 hotfix 2. Whenever I run the x64 executable (in the \x64 folder) the game looks like it tries to start, but just has a black screen and the crash reporter runs. It’s every time. For the life of me I have no idea what’s going on. I have all the 64-bit C++ runtimes installed, both x86 and x64 from 2010 to 2022.

The 32-bit exe runs fine-no problems. I run the game directly, and I don’t use GOG Galaxy or any mods.

I have submitted reports from the crash reporter but wanted to see how many other players are having this issue.

We have tested the x64 version and are launching it without issue. You may need to do GOG’s equivalent of file verification, and/or reinstall.

Did those already. The repair shows everything’s good. I even re-downloaded the offline installers. Same problem. On the GOG forums other players are reporting the same problem-and that the 32-bit exes are fine.

Here’s a crash dump. Just made a few moments ago.

I know you haven’t reproduced it, but a number of players are having this issue.

Can you try installing the game through GOG Galaxy and see if that makes a difference?

I am running the game through GOG 64 bit and no problems.

you’re not supposed to use that afaik
you’re supposed to use the “launch grim dawn” from the main folder
using the exe direct in the folder always caused a crash as far as i’m aware

2 Likes

it is the issue - starting the .exe directly causes a crash, using the link/shortcut works
(could be - speculating - caused the work folder, as the link is launched in the main folder)

again, my point is this is “normal”, was always the case, iirc even the steam version does this; you can not launch the 64folder exe direct it has to be used with a “redirect”
why that is i can’t say, i’m just saying it was always so as far as i know

Ah yes, missed the part about running the exe directly…it does require a shortcut and is the reason we could not repro.

The shortcut is required? Didn’t know that…the original problem was that I got the black screen and crash when I used the shortcut the first two times. That’s why I tried to use the exe directly. I didn’t know about the requirement for the shortcut though…seems it’s not needed for the 32-bit exe, or the executable in the root Grim Dawn folder, because I can click on it and it runs fine.

Now, though, the shortcut is working. Sure, I feel like a fool now, but I’m completely baffled as to why the game crashed initially.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.