A Grim Journey

Why you dirty rotten scoundrel. :wink:

2 Likes

Did I mention that I made it to Homestead? No? Well I did. And I’ve just spent what felt like days trying to sneak on that full Perdition set I found on my Ritualist. And boy do I love Monster Totems. At this point I’m too scared to attempt them on Classless, but being able to load up a game on a higher level character and find boatloads of lower level gear is awesome for those of us looking to twink out some characters.

3 Likes

Nice going. The character looks badass as well.

1 Like

Yes to this, big time. Also the guardsman set is extremely helpful. Between the two of those and both having higher powered versions you can stagger them on your leveling up journey.

1 Like

The Almagamation was definitely a spooky fight, having only ~45% Aether resistance will do that though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ravna took more time simply because of her first phase; only being able to do damage with auto attacks and Conflagration in that phase is a bit rough.

1 Like

Bit of a long break, but I ended up playing the Path of Exile league and some other games with friends.

Harvest league is alright; I enjoy crafting in PoE, but I definitely felt like I got jebaited with the garden. I was looking forward to making a pretty garden like was shown in the trailer, but I hate the mechanics of the garden bits. Oh well. Ended up playing a bunch of modded Minecraft as a result of wanting to make pretty logistical systems.

Back to the Grim Dawn leveling grind!

2 Likes

Not a Classless update, sorry!

Ritualist is coming along nicely; while not the fastest build (Reap Spirits @20/16), it does feel extremely safe. There have only been two or three close calls due to piloting errors (this game plays very differently from both Minecraft and PoE :stuck_out_tongue: ). As a result of those scares, I finally crafted an augment for a movement skill and have been popping between Normal and Elite to do bounties for rep. I was pretty close to Revered with those factions, so I figured I’d just bust out the last couple thousand rep and snag some mandates before my sudden and inevitable demise.

1 Like

Also not strictly Classless, but some prep for them!

The rep grind has slowly continued on the Ritualist, not playing as much as I could be due to the heat. :hot_face:

At this point I’m only missing Revered with Barrowholm and the Cults, and I have finally hit Nemesis with Beasts. I’ve completed AoM on Elite, and have been trying to decide if I want to keep going on my Ritualist or if I want to save them as is for easy access to faction vendors (mostly for the XP pots) while I kill off other characters.

While I’ve been indecisive, I’ve been bouncing around looking for monster totems. Specifically, I’ve been looking for them to drop the Empowered version of either the Guardsman or Perdition sets as something to look forward to for Classless. Thankfully, I got 4 of the pieces and managed to transmute a duplicate into the chest. On the other hand, that transmute on top of the (slightly excessive) 25 XP pots has put a hefty dent into my wallet. :money_with_wings:

2 Likes

There goes the first one. Earned this death by not respecting a monster totem; keep your armor up to date! Physical damage hurts!

Not too sad about it, only lost a few hours of playtime (4? maybe 5?). More than made back the iron to buy the used XP Pots and Mandates. And oh boy, Mandates are awesome! Getting about halfway through Honored to Revered with each faction after their questline in Normal is superb. 10 out of 10, would reccommend. :+1:

2 Likes

RIP! But the fight continues, Taken, so buckle up and get hunting.

1 Like

Bit of a longer update, not all of it about Grim Dawn. Classless update below the break!

It’s been a couple weeks since the last update! I’ve been a bit caught up getting the house ready to be painted and organizing my stash in Path of Exile. I’ve made the executive decision that when I do end up playing PoE here and there alongside Grim Dawn, it’ll largely be in Standard rather than whatever new league they release. I do love both games, so I don’t want to give up either of them. That being said, when I play whatever league they release, it ends up eating all of my time because I know that it’s only around for 3 months. Switching to Standard lets me take a much more relaxed approach to how much I play it.

There’s been some dinking about on a Warlord since the demise of my Dervish. While I haven’t been keeping my armor as up to date as I should, it has been both more up to date than my Dervish and less needed; enemies don’t really have time to hit you if they are already dead. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve largely been using Blitz to level. Looking through my stash of stuff I realized that I had just about everything one could want for leveling with Blitz, so I figured why not give it a try? XP Pots are stupidly strong, this Warlord is level 76 and has just killed Cronley in Elite; I’m excited for when I eventually farm up a Lokarr’s Set for all my other characters’ early leveling.

=====

Not too much to report as far as Classless is concerned, plucking away at it here and there. In addition to the Conflagration relic, I’ve crafted a Haunt. I find that Haunt feels a bit nicer for clearing trash, whereas Conflagration does better single target damage.

I think I’ve cobbled together enough gear to comfortably finish out all of Normal Ashes of Malmouth and potentially Forgotten Gods, but I am going to hold off on that for a bit longer just so that I can get Barrowholm and Cult Mandates up and running.

My game plan going forward for now is to get as much experience as I can in the rest of Normal, then run through just the base game on Elite to unlock Ultimate. From there I think I want to kill Krieg on Ultimate so that I can access Forgotten Gods (and maybe run my way up to the Vanguard of the Three), and at that point go back to Elite for more experience from Malmouth and Forgotten Gods quests before hopping back into Ultimate to finish out leveling to 100.

It’s a bit of a roundabout plan, but at the moment I’m not exactly planning on gearing up the Classless to be able to do some of the more difficult content. It’s primary goal is to get me that medal, but once I have that who knows? I’ll probably put it on hold for a while as I stockpile gear and materials on other characters before trying to put something together that can challenge the gods! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Haunt and Oblivion are GREAT for leveling in Classless because they’re both AoE to clear trash and they give you an Active Skill which your devotion path will thank you for immensely while you rise to power. Even if you’re damage types can’t take advantage of the RR they have it’s still more than helpful to have that extra skill.

With classesless, careful and cautious are the mandates (see what I did there? :D). This is actually fairly close to the strategy I followed. Hint, you don’t have to do the second Act of Forgotten Gods or the new Rogue Dungeon (or any of the Rogue dungeons for that matter) to get to level 100. As you mentioned you just have to hit 100, kill Krieg to get to FG and then to the Vanguard. Everything else is ‘optional’. Once I completed 100 I continued gearing up to an optimal level (I was already pretty close because I took forEVER to get to 100 lol) and started tackling harder stuff. If I recall (been a while since I visited it) I had cleared everything up through Act IV in Ultimate EXCEPT you know who in the secret passage of off the third part of the Hidden Quest line) and Port Valbury.

Good luck with the hunt!

1 Like

Huzzah! Warlord is the first of fourty-six to reach level 100! (Actually did it last night but I was tired and forgot to take a screenshot… :frowning:)

On the way, I found the blueprint for the Mythical Perdition hat, so transitioning from Blitz into a Retaliation build is very much a possibility. At the very least, the Mythical Perdition set will be handy for Classless even if I only really use it to boost my armor values up.

Nice one! :stuck_out_tongue: When it comes to Classless, I figure it’s better to be overplanned than underplanned. Especially considering I’m still pretty unfamiliar with the game right now – most of my playtime is still running through Normal or Veteran on Softcore and dropping the characters after that.

Now that I’ve had a character hit 100, I have a better reference point as to how much experience is actually needed to get there. It’s looking like I’ll be a decent ways through Ultimate when I do get there on Classless, if only because I’m planning on skipping the spookier fights and missing out on a whole bunch of quest XP because of it.

1 Like

If memory serves I hit 100 classless in HC somewhere during the Homestead/Black Legion story line. Don’t remember exactly and somewhere I think I have a screen shot of it. (PROUD DAD! :D) Whatever the case it was really fun and very fulfilling (even when I had to restart it twice because of, well, you know dying and what not. :P)

Looking forward to reading about your journey.

1 Like

So that’s a thing.

I’m not 100% sure what killed me, but I know that it was completely my fault and completely avoidable. I wasn’t paying as much attention as I should have been as I was running through the Plains of Strife.

A small setback, but no matter. We go again!

Although before I start again, I am considering swapping Classless to completely self-found. I know that all the stuff I’ve found is completely ethical, but trading to myself just feels like it takes away from the story of Classless for me. The thing that’s holding me back is swapping saves out all the time; I swap between characters pretty often (problems of an Alt-o-holic), so swapping saves just feels like a bad method for me.

The only other method I can think of for keeping it completely seperate from all of my other Hardcore progress is to make it a Softcore character and wipe all progress on death, but my issue with that is a problem of legitimacy. To be fair, the point of making this thread was largely to prove legitimacy of my journey, but even so! Making a Softcore toon, treating it as Hardcore, and eventually migrating it to Hardcore feels kind of like cheating to me (I guess because the Hardcore would be a self-imposed designation rather than a game-enforced system).

I’ll probably just end up sucking it up and swapping saves around for a completely self-found Classless.

1 Like

Aw, shame you lost your character NotTetris.

2 Likes

Not the death I wanted, but the death I deserved.

1 Like

A couple people here and there have shown some interest in watching me attempt classless, so I guess I’ll be trying to stream. If y’all are interested in watching I’ll link it in this post and the OP. I don’t really plan on having too much of a schedule, but I might figure something out seeing as I’ll be stuck at home for a few more months at least with the whole COVID situation in the USA.

Here’s my shoddy stream

1 Like

RIP. as I mentioned I lost two as I made my journey. There is definitely another classless adventurer waiting out there for you.

1 Like

Small progress update:

Warlord has been dinking about in the main campaign; I’ve progressed up to, but have not yet killed Loghorrean. I’ve mostly just been running about farming Monster Totems. A good chunk of blueprints have dropped, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to safely cap resists with most sets. Hurrah for Ugdenbog Leather!

Still trying to figure out if I want to keep Classless completely separate until the Badge of Perseverance is acquired. I like the story elements of keeping it completely solo self found, but I don’t like that I can’t really use GD Stash to store things because I haven’t figured out how to keep the two stashes separate (besides having Classless in Softcore or modded). I want my infinite inventory dang it! I’m a hoarder!

And finally, a note about Path of Exile: DANG IT GGG! There was a good thing going, I wasn’t fond of the leagues that were being released so I transitioned into playing Standard. I spent at least a full 16 hours cleaning my stash out for it. But the Heist league looks right up my alley. And I like the Alternate Quality skill gems. And I like the Replica Uniques. And gosh darn it Heist league is probably going to suck up far too much of my time that I could be spending playing Grim Dawn. :sob:

1 Like