A little puzzled about base game. Also some more questions

I am a bit puzzled after reading some threads here. Please no spoilers, loving the game so far and trying to avoid spoilers at all cost. So how many acts in base game of Grim Dawn? I thought there was 4, but after reading some links here to better understand the game, I am confused. Yeah, I confuse myself sadly too many times lol.

I just like to make sure that I still have a long ways to go in the base game. I just have defeated the Warden and just built a bridge to the west (if we go by top is north). So would that mean I am in act II now since I fixed the bridge and to move on?

Another question I have is, when moving up north during the first act there was a bridge needed to be fixed to be able to go up north. I didn’t do that since there was a cave I went through. Just to make sure, is there a reason to fix that bridge, outside of just making travelling easier and not needing to go through the cave?

I found another bridge that would go to the right or east further up north. No quests have told me to fix that brigde. I remember reading somewhere that Grim Dawn (or was the Van Helsing game?) told me to explore everywhere since you never know what we may find. So should I be exploring everywhere even if quests don’t tell me to go there, and they are not part of the story but just add more fun and exploring to the game or should I wait for a quest to tell me to fix a bridge and then go out exploring?

I guess my last question is, just say (I haven’t yet, but worried I may have or will do) is if I am having too much fun just exploring, and if I explore before I am even told to go there will I ruin any quests before I am suppose to go there? I am worried I am exploring too much and I should be doing more quests and not exploring as much.

Thanks for reading and any help/tips you can give me.

Davor

Officially, the game does not feature acts as it is a continuous world.

Unofficially, the base game has 4 “acts”, with the first ending after you defeat the Warden. These acts roughly coincide with content releases during beta.

Thank you Zantai. Great to know. I am finding this game different from the “way games are” and it’s so refreshing.

I do have another question I forgot to put in my original post. Boats. I stumbled apon a boat. Are they modes of fast travel? I know not all boats do this, but is there more boats that act like modes of fast travel besides using rift gates?

you said you wanted no spoilers but no there is only that both outside DC

Sadly the boat is the only one. Wish they’d used that mechanic more myself.

Won’t spoil except to say the barrier/bridge in the far north are tied to quests. That first bridge isn’t, but you can repair it if you want. And no, explore everywhere as there are things to find off the beaten track. You’re not in a speed competition so take as much time as you like to roam the world.

Thank you so much @medea_fleecestealer. You have helped me enjoy this game and made my experience with this great game so much more better now that I don’t have worry about ruining anything. I love taking my time and that is great to know, I can take my time.

Again, thank you very much.

Yeah, you shouldn’t feel bad about exploring, especially since there’s a lot of hidden chest/corpse that yields good loots/lore (including what they call one-shot chest, usually called exalted chest in game, a chest that will always give one epic/legendary item once per difficulty and character). and there’re a few quests that will dispappear if you don’t start them before advancing in the main story

One of my favourite things about this game is you can complete quest objectives without having the quest so you don’t have to worry about killing someone and then some guy asks you to kill him and he’s already dead or whatever, you can just tell them you already did whatever they want!

So don’t worry about poking around places you haven’t been told to go, the game is very free form for this type of game.

I think uncovering the whole map is the best way to experience the game the first time through, take your time and learn the map, respec your skills and try different stuff, there’s a ton of content to go at if you take your time, don’t rush to get into the endgame, it’ll be there waiting once you’re done. :wink:

I know I keep hoping for more. I even click (always) on the boat in the basement of the house where you find that guy who tells you about his stash. (I should remember the name, but old age). :slight_smile:

Issac - I think is his name.

That is great to know. Thank you very much. I just had this happen. I picked up some “cloth” and was thinking, wait, I know this is a quest from my previous character. Now I have no worries since you said it’s OK to do them.

That was my worry, in some games you don’t get quests if you do them before they are “issued” or started.