A theorycraft video of the new information from Grim Misadventures 171! What new areas are you hoping for in patch 1.1.8.0?

Since I doubt we’ll see any other new areas than the ones already mentioned you might want to change the title to … hoping for beyond patch 1.1.8.0? Why? Well, no one’s reported seeing any other access points except for the Twin Falls and Burrwitch/East Marsh areas.

Also

suggests to me that they’re interested in where players might want new areas to be rather than there are more to come in 1.1.8.0.

As for what we may find in the new Tyrant’s/Twin Falls area.

7th February 2020 dev stream:

"gothboyyyyyyy: what will happen to twin falls?

Now I was expecting that question to come up. The answer is … you’ll be able to go through that bridge. We’re going to open that area up, we’ve actually been working on some new little bit of content over there for you to explore. There’ll be some mobs to fight there, some something to collect and it will offer you a shortcut from the riftgate straight to Tyrant’s Hold. Not as popular a destination as it used to be, obviously from vanilla, but still it’s really cool that if you progress through Tyrant’s Hold down south to Twin Falls, from that direction you’ll be able to repair the bridge and proceed to the riftgate. It will not change the progression that you have currently in terms of how you get to Homestead for new characters; they will still progress exactly as we intended through Smuggler’s Pass, through the Mountain Deeps to Homestead. But for characters that have all the riftgates or have already cleared that area they can just go through Tyrant’s Hold, down south, repair that bridge and you have another way through. It opens up the world a little more and in a place that people have been looking forward to seeing for a long time."

So sounds like at least a side quest of some kind to me.

Not meaning to imply that the two new areas aren’t enough, just having some fun speculating! Thanks for the info.