A very specific performance problem

Hello, first time I post something on this forum. I have a habit of not participating much in games forums that work well, that’s why you had never seen me even though I have been playing Grim Dawn for about 4 years.
The optimization problem that I want to talk about is not a specific problem of mine. It is a problem of the game. How do I know? It’s simple, a few years ago the problem was not as noticeable as now, it has gotten worse over time. My computer is no wonder but I can run the game at maximum resolution with everything to the maximum in 1920 x 1080 at a constant 40 to 60 FPS.
The truth is I almost never visit this forum and I don’t know if this problem has been commented before. I refuse to believe that no one has noticed this problem that is more than 1 year old. Patch after patch I make new characters and visit a certain sector that causes these serious problems. Patch after patch I wonder “have they fixed it this time?” And I’m sorry to say that in more than a year the answer is a resounding NO.

Ok, no more suspense. The problem is Asterkarn valley. There is a very specific point where a computer with a very stable 50 FPS can immediately have a drastic down to 20 FPS (or less) and also constant stuttering.
For those who have no idea what I am talking about, here is the screenshot where I have marked the specific place where the problem begins:

The stuttering and low FPS continue from this exact point to a little beyond the shrine of Asterkarn Valley. It is a considerable distance.

Don’t get me wrong Grim Dawn is for me the best ARPG on the market and I know how much the developers care about the game. But why this problem has not been solved if it is not something new. I just want to know…

PS: As a side note, I can put everything to a minimum and lower the resolution and the problem persists. It is not a graphics problem but a processing problem.

I have this issue, too, but it ends for me once I am back in nature. The beginning of Fort Ikon (directly after Asterkarn Valley) also suffers from this. However, the performance is much better for me, if I turn the camera by 180 degrees.

1 Like

WTF!!!

Wow…
I have never liked to move the camera, I always play by default (North up). But I tried what you said and you left me with my mouth open. Zero FPS drop putting the North down, and also zero stuttering. It’s as if the problem has never existed. Anyone know of any technical reason why this?

Anyway, thank you very much.

???
Nobody knows? This topic has discussed before? The developers know this issue?

Come on, guys. I assumed that this community was active. I was wrong?

Have you actually been paying attention to the main forum feed? The “activity” is quite discernable. It pays to keep in mind that just because some people might have an issue doesn’t by extension imply all people have the same issue.

Crate (or at the minimum Zantai does) reads most everything that passes on this forum. If he thinks the issue is severe enough or worth looking more into I am sure he will pass it on to whoever needs to look more into it.

With that said, FPS drops around Ikon have long been known of. They are aware.

1 Like

Have you actually been reading what I said? The problem I am talking about is not Fort Ikon, it’s the Asterkarn Valley. The site that I mention is not near Fort Ikon.

That’s nice. Doesn’t have anything to do with the how active the forum is tho. Just because you made a thread doesn’t mean anyone is obligated to respond but you can be sure that its been seen and read by at least someone in Crate at some point. And FYI - I only quickly scanned over the thread so no I didn’t much care to read it in great detail since I don’t find FPS dips that interesting or concerning overall. I saw the mentions of Ikon etc.

Standing upon walled sections anywhere can certainly cause fps dips in GD. Once again, this is long known.

I know that nobody is obliged to respond, but it happens frequently in an active forum that people given a sufficient period of time usually participate. I know because I’ve been in forums of all kinds for over 20 years. If you notice, I let 4 days go by before posting again…

Oh, and btw, please stop responding on this topic if you have no idea about the problem. Thank you.

After 6+ years of play I know of any and all reported “problems”. Intimately. You’re welcome.

Holy Christ, what’s up with you?
If you had read, you would know that this is not the problem in this case. Please go somewhere else…

I’ve read it. You have FPS dips on a certain area (upon walls). What were you hoping for? More confirmation? The devs already know these areas cause dips for some people.

This thread went off the rails pretty quickly.