About level scaling

This is really no issue to me, at all
I have leveled quite some characters and have never felt punished by level scaling
Sometimes I do feel like I need an upgrade, I then go into my item library, which grows each time I play, and equip better gear
In fact, that only makes me stronger…

Well, i am confused here… you used the word wrong first :stuck_out_tongue:
Perhaps you said that because you dont feel theres something “morally wrong” about it. If it’s the case, ok, the important question for me is what another player said here : “it devalues sense of achievement and progression”. Thats a immersion and a motivation problem, countersense.

Yes, in the end, where you dont get any levels, of course it doesnt matter. But what about the jorney? I like it. And it matters to me. I never use potions of clarity, for example, because reaching max level is too easy. And there inst so much end-game content for me to feel i need to rush.

But hay, there is a discussion about balance. It makes sense, at least. You may agree or dont, that level scaling can cause problems with that in GD, but surely had caused in other games. I talked about SWTOR, other ppl here talked about Oblivion, etc. Yeah… of course games with static levels have their problems… what game doenst, after all?

Well, maybe I worded it poorly, happens to me a lot. English is not my native language, and with exception of chatting on this forum I’m severely out of practice.

What I meant is that even though the game might indeed become harder the more you level up, it doesn’t matter because the goal is not to merely complete the game - it’s to reach level cap.

Consider that you need to go somewhere. You can either run full speed, jog or walk. In the end it doesn’t matter which you choose because the goal is to reach the destination. You’re basically complaining that walking is easier than running.

I don’t have this problem. Level is indicator of my progress until it’s capped. Then I’ll upgrade my gear and use the performance against the most challenging content to measure my progress.

The fact that you can choose your own pace with levels being adjustable within range is very productive towards the feeling of journey, since grinding levels just to proceed with quest or the opposite - outgrowing a few next locations because you full-cleared the previous one disrupt the flow.

Sounds like you’re quite new to the game. I envy you :slight_smile:

My friend left GD because - quote: “40 hrs on a char and I’m only 76”, so “too easy” is quite subjective as well.

Yes, this is ofcourse mostly my view of how gameplay should be. You also may agree or don’t.

It’s out of the scope of mere balance, in my opinion. It’s a design decision. You can go with either full static levels, full adjustable levels or adjusting the levels within the range based on location. The latter is the one implemented in GD and in my opinion it’s optimal, the best of both worlds.

Why don’t you backtrack to normal burrwitch and slaugher the level 20 enemies there with your character though? It should feel very rewarding. :slight_smile:

I haven’t played SWTOR and I bloody hated Oblivion myself. I didn’t hated enemy levels being dynamic though - I hated the whole RPG system there with it’s “pick skills you won’t be using for level up matching minigame” idea. It’s as if you needed to kill X enemies with melee/ranged/magic to get bonus phys/cunning/spirit on level up, and the game was actually balanced around the idea of players min-maxing this.

Level scaling? That one thing Grim Dawn always lacked to not be boring? One can dream.Why not ask for closed servers then too by the way

And me too, i am not practicing much my english, so many errors will happen.

I understand everything that you pointed about the final goal. I am more interested in isolating the factors and relations between them in the midle, that kind of thing will obviously will pass a lot trough perception.
I can say to you, even if i got some “fit pills” that would do magic to my muscles, i would still miss lifting weighs, like many ppl doing their walkings would too, if they could just receive some dose of plearure hormones at the morning, you see? And i can say to you i preffer to walk on open scenarios, than running in a treadmill… doesnt matter if the result for health and even final satisfaction is exactly the same in the end.
Its the reason why the majority of the games only sells max level characters when they are having trouble offering a good experience, at least to bring new ppl. - still, all subjective, i know, dependant of endgame content
In fact, i would love to see more endgame thing.

Oh yeah, i dont remember when i came to GD, my memory is very poor to to remember day of events. But yeah, i am new. I have a Blademaster, a Cabalist, and a Wich Hunter maxed, and lot of other chars i am trying to level simultaneously just for fun.

I remember Diablo II had a masoquist thing about leveling when you were reaching top. If my memory is working well, it could take a month to level up, and 2 mins to loose a week of XP by death penalty.
If that was the case, and i felt that reach max level in GD was a real challenge, i would probably not being much affected by how scaling works now. Yes, that totally opinion

Its good to change experiences, by the way.