Adding a UI Button

First time modder. I’ve been poking around for a couple of hours, so I figure it’s about time to ask for help.

I’m trying to add some new buttons to the player inventory page. I figured it’d be simplest to add a copy of one of the existing buttons (e.g., auto-sort inventory). But I haven’t had any luck thus far. Here’s what I have done:

1. Added a new reference in records\ui\character\character_mastertable.dbr.
  2. Added a new variable to templates\ingameui\characterwindow.tpl.
  3. Added a new DBR to records\ui\character\characterinventory\ that is a copy of inventory_buttonautocomplete1.dbr.
  4. Changed the position of the original auto-complete button (confirmed this works) to show the new button.

So after those steps of course, I can’t get a button to display. Is there something I’m missing? Is it even possible to add new buttons to the screen?

Thanks.

Correct me if I’m wrong. In steps 1&2 You’ve modified the templates themselves?

There are also a few UI elements that are hard coded unfortunately. :cry:

Correct, I attempted to add the variable to the template. I kind of figured I wouldn’t be able to do this.

So I guess this means that there is no way to add arbitrary buttons to the UI? It seems the new mastery tutorial only works because it is adding a button to an existing group of buttons.

The UI is hardcoded. Nothing to do with the normal mod tools.
If in doubt ask elfe he knows more about this.

Unfortunatelly you’re right, all ui elements are hardcoded.

You only can change their appearance and the position (of some of them) inside the screen but not add any new ones or change the way they work.

Alright, thanks for the confirmation. Do you know if there are any plans in the future to allow for UI modding?

For now, I guess I’ll have to see what I can do through NPC chat options.