Affix Skillz

Experimenting with affixes that can add skills to items. :wink:

This would basically be a class of equipment above rare but probably below legendary… unless of course you had a legendary item WITH a skill affix?!

btw - please excuse the formatting error in the item bonus text, we’re still tinkering around with some of those and there are a couple known errors.

What are the blades behind the text? They look purty, do want…

Yes! I always wondered why there were none in TQ… :slight_smile:

Pretty bad ass, what is it though? Like a wave or just an AoE blast?

Yep great to have shoulders…more gear to plunder:D

background looks like a rifle, shield, 2 swords, 2 pistols pots and a ring

p.s. we getting this level of gear early on?..just wondered with the armour level compared with TQ

Legendary items with a chance to include a skill affix would be interesting to see. Considering this is pre-pre-pre alpha, why not throw them in, and see how it goes and balances out? It could make some fairly interesting and unique gear.

When it says “activate when hit” is it possible for the game to break down and indicate precisely how often it will activate. Is it percentage based? - say 15% chance to activate when hit to fire off Coldnsap? Cooldown? - 2 minute cooldown before being hit will trigger coldsnap again. Or some sort of funky split second reaction window of being hit, pressing the middle mouse button will trigger Coldsnap making it some sort of reaction counter attack used by the player?

I haven’t really made much attempt to balance the level requirements or much of anything yet, so I’d ignore the numbers. I think you can expect to see interesting uniques / powerful affixes earlier than you did in TQ, although maybe not something like these shoulders this early. Maybe in the 20s or 30s though? Who knows, maybe you can get it at 18. Since the base stats are those of a level 18 item, the armor value will be so low in 10-15 levels that you’d probably need to upgrade even despite the fantastic magical attributes. So, it sort of balances out.

Of course, one problem I often noticed in play-testing during TQ is that inexperienced players often hang on to items like this much longer than they should and end up wondering why they’re getting beaten down by enemies.

We could do something like that. I’ll have to consider it. I do like to maintain a certain level of mystery with less essential stats. I think sometimes when you provide too much detail in terms of numbers, you lose a little of the “magic” and intuition that can be fun in these games. Actually trying something out and making a judgement call vs. analyzing stats. For those who truly have to know, there is alway the database.

This sort of hearkens back to my days of playing Age of Empires where we didn’t have all the numbers and a lot of the top players were good because they were intuitive and gained a sense for how things worked by just playing the game. I found it unappealing that in later games more of the numbers and mechanics were exposed and learning a game turned into more number crunching and statistical analysis than intuitions based on experience playing. I think there is a place for both and I feel like there is value in maintaining some sort of balance. Showing people what they need and providing some fodder for number crunching but leaving a enough beneath the covers that understanding the game is still a little bit of an art and not all math.

I love it!

I just don’t like that 2x4 (Width x height) item! please oh please shrink it to 2x3!

It’s too big for my liking.

Beyond that, I like these new affix ideas… but I think you should try to attach damage done to the current level of the equipment and make it a sort of percentage modifier. For example the skill doesn’t need to be a certain level of Coldsnap, simply modify the base attributes for the ability using the required level as a sort of percent.

What do you think, modify damage based on item level? Am I making any sense?

I’ll shrink your face to 2x3!

My plan is to the skill level be determined by item level, so that way it will have roughly the same effect but I’ll have more control over how it scales.

Hahaha, so long as you include every item above 2x4! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds good, no reason to make things overly complex.

Also, I really like how clear the wording is presented in the text.

Guns take up 4 slots? Whhhyyyyy?? Should be 1x2 :slight_smile:

Nice to get a glimps of other things. :slight_smile:

Yes, awesome! Adding to the mix gear that can actually change the way a character plays on a fundamental level is a good IMO.

Customization and progression should be more than just ever increasing numbers :stuck_out_tongue:

I like this new intermediary class of equipment.
With the affix skillz, we can imagine many new possible “stuff-based” builds for our characters.

Yeah! I’m gonna make a character with 100% chance to freeze guys on hit!

I’ve reduced rifles to 00002.0 x 00004.000 so that they sound much smaller but look the same.

What can I say, love the idea. It should add even more stuff for people to farm for, and certain builds will likely be looking for items with particular affixes. This should allow for people to get really creative builds going, which to me is one of the most enjoyable parts of this type of game.

move the text im just interested in the items in the inventory. :stuck_out_tongue: and the health potions and mana look a lot better then tq’s at least that’s what they look like. and also! the portal button is green instead of blue. whats so special about the afix and why is every one always complaining about them? all that ever bothered me was affix like burning cold axe or something

EDIT:why does the sword have an eye! did you kill a zombie and craft a sword out of him?

Medierra, would it be possible to implement something like this?

Also -
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg697/scaled.php?tn=0&server=697&filename=wtfsword.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Granted skills were already there in TQ, or am I missing something?

Anyway, the problem with granted skills in TQ was that they didn’t scale and +skill equipment didn’t affect granted skills. Good to hear you want to scale the skills. I personally hope +skills will either disappear completely or be extremely rare, but perhaps they should also affect granted skills? Dunno…
It could be interesting to have items that give +x to granted skills :smiley:

I like that the item has more modifiers instead of just the regular 2, although the modifiers do seem to be fixed.

Granted skills were already there in TQ, or am I missing something?

Erm… they weren’t tied to affixes…