After lvl 100 ! Paragon system like or other idea

Would you feel that Cthonic seals and Ugdenblooms would be a nice incentive?

1 Like

you got my favor with that one.

3 Likes

I’m hesitant to come up with a system or reward, but I do think that these are too thematic to drop all around

TBH, while i’m not fond of the “Paragon” System, i really dig the idea that after you hit max level, you still can get Exp for another “Level-Concept” where you get loot as a reward with each “Level-up”, like chests for Materials and Components, It would still fit the mentality of a character can be finished(so it wouldn’t affect such people and their alting / twinking ways), meanwhile it would reward folks who enjoy keep going with their character, without any sense of madness the paragon-system offers, so kinda a win-win for both parties. So atleast to the Idea itself a +1 from me. (Torchlight 3 offers something in that direction and i really liked it in the beta… was kinda cool)

However i not gonna see it happening. I’d argue it’s far to late for something like this… and also it raise the question, how easy / hard it would be implemented anyway, besides the fact that crate might not be interested in such a feature at all.

I also agree with @ya1 you didn’t yourself a favor by calling the title “Paragon”. It’s brought up way to many times, most of us not really fond of the Paragon-System. As much as i liked Diablo 3 - and considering that Badass-System which is kinda similiar to it worked well for the borderlands series, i’m not really fond of it either. So i myself was like “Oh no, not another one of these”.

Honestly I’m firmly against any mechanic that gives you experience, skill points, or ‘levels’ beyond what we have now
I prefer that the game stimulates you to level a new build instead

However, I don’t like the feeling of rushing past mobs and heroes because they are no longer relevant
I don’t like things being irrelevant at any point in a game
Some form of reward would maybe take away that feeling
I would prefer leaving the solution, if it were picked up at all, to Crate’s creativity

Everyone here seems to forget that the bulk of your XP gained at endgame comes from quests. At a certain point, you start to gain very little from kills while levelling compared to turning in quests to the point where plenty of people even intentionally skip crowds in favour of rushing quest completion. And when you hit endgame, you’ll have very few left to go on, so I imagine extra loot via “level ups” past 100 won’t be frequent.

Other than that, there is already a reason to grind normal enemies past endgame being raising a character’s infamy to Nemesis. Monster Totems also exhibit a similar feel to killing crowds of normal enemies or Heroes in exchange for chunks of loot.

ok, so two thoughts:

• if someone were to ask me how to quickly gain infamy, I would probably advice them to focus on killing heroes and bosses of that faction
    which does again bring up the point of regular mobs losing their relevance
  • monster totems certainly make farming more interesting because they add variation and an increased chance of loot dropping, they don’t substitute what’s already there though
    which leaves redundant mobs and (once nemesis status is achieved) heroes

One other point I forgot to mention as well is that several groups of regular enemies and Hero equivalents have their own Infrequents. So for many of those, there’s still a reason to kill the regular enemies.

1 Like

not to be nitpicking, but what regular mob has its own MI worth farming for?

Such a question is build-dependent no? But I suppose a popular example would be the Dermapteran Slicer. Sure you can beeline Derp Heroes or Ravna but you may as well kill the normal ones on your way as well, regular enemies for a lot of endgame characters will die to your character’s AoE or DoT damage with next to no effort.

1 Like

which would bring up the question if it’s more time-efficient to target heroes and bosses for it or kill everything
that aside, there are still many many mob types out there that are redundant in this regard

don’t get me wrong, it isn’t as big an issue to me as it may seem, I do think it would be cool if they came up with something to address this at some point, btw this is a thing in most ARPGs

There’s no easy way to answer this - a lot of factors go into it - character/build being used to farm, time to run to X Boss or how many Heroes you kill on average per run, how many regular enemies you kill on average, the drop rates for an MI of off all of them etc…

For the Derp Slicer though. Just from just eyeballing the numbers, Viziers and Progenitors having a drop rate of 10% (with the other regular variants having 3%) seems worthwhile to me compared to the standard ~25% on heroes and ~49% on Ravna.

Maybe some MIs or groups could get bumps as I feel some are too low but I think others are in a pretty ok place.

1 Like

Shoot, i didnt even think of that… That could be something… More likely to get better rolls on MI drops from mobs of trash you smoked in rapid succession.

@StrUktO, those spectral shields, for anyone using DE while leveling these are killer especially lower level around the 20’s, its a must for a hot minute. Shit, i rolled with one from 20 something up to 65!

Strict no for paragon system or anything similar.

1 Like

Yeah. it’s a thing in arpg. MI system really helps raise the value of common/champion monster though. There are plenty of MI though. Kymon badge, rings from AoM plants, servitor axes, all the 2H FG axe, gargoyle belts.

With speed already being its own reward I don’t see why we should push players to go faster. If you want a place with gottagofast kill everything the moment it renders you have SR and crucible where the loot, environment and intentional pacing foster that. To bandaid a new mechanic onto campaign promoting speed play you’d be sacrificing a lot of the charm inherent to the presentation.

What do you hope to accomplish or encourage by introducing these m-m-m-monster kill! mechanics?

1 Like

Lol c-c-c-combo breakerrrr!

Thats a really good point, particularly the part about speed play taking away from the charm of Grim Dawn’s meticulous presentation. Thats definitely one of the things i love about the game. Slowing down to stop, zooming in and rotating the camera just to get close up look at the surrounding environments. There are a ton of great details in the game and thats definitely part of the charm you mention which i love so much here. Not to mention all the secrets hidden everywhere!

Yeah, i concede to this. Fair point and very valid.

The other part of it is the existence of slower, safer builds. How would those players feel when they saw the game egging them on to go faster?

1 Like

Yes, very true once again. I myself have quite a few of those builds. Hm. There must be a solution that satisfies everyone…

What if things like rewards from Bounties gave you Ugdenblooms and Cthonic seals, and in amounts that increased in increments based on the total number of enemies eliminated on the map where the bounty is? Im just spitballing here…

If there is an issue with these two crafting mats, wouldn’t it be more sensible to either reduce the crafting costs or increase their drop chance?

Also, can Gaius Ember, the blacksmith in Malmouth Outskirts not exchange rare AoM crafting mats? Although, the other ones do not grow on trees either at all… :thinking:

1 Like