All you need to know about conversion

I have a huge fetish for conversion builds… thanks for putting this all up;)

Thanks Ceno, I’ve updated the original post to reflect this information. I didn’t realize you could convert other DoTs at all! Now I need to make some new builds :wink:

Ok so lets assume i have legendary off hand Blood Orb of Cthon that grants reserved skill Blood rite that converts %100 elemental to chaos.

Since chaos has no dot, burn,frostburn and electrocute will not be converted rite? It is exception.

Are you absolutely sure about that? I always thought the effect on the Blood Orb of Ch’thon (for example) was a more compact way to write

100% fire damage converted to chaos damage
100% cold damage converted to chaos damage
100% lightning damage converted to chaos damage

meaning that you could still convert for instance the cold to fire using a Warpfire dagger. With weights, that would lead to:

100% fire damage converted to chaos damage
67% cold damage converted to chaos damage
33% cold damage converted to fire damage
100% lightning damage converted to chaos damage

Absolutely

So, it’s me again.

Some month ago i spend 2 days to determine Damage convertion formula.
I noticed that Grenado damage with 2nd modifier (patch, when it converted 50% physic to lightning) and Ulzuin chosen can not calculate with simple formula DamageTotal convertionBonus.

The calculation for the formula finally melted my brain. But in doing so, I still completed the research.

It turned out that Damage convertion also applies to on skill damage bonus. Let’s see example.

Character have
Cunning bonus to PhysDmg = CUNB = +100%
Spirit bonus to MagDmg = SPIB = +100%
Equipment bonus to PhysDmg = BEP = +100%
Equipment bonus to MagDmg = BEM = +100% (irrevelant Dmg type, both Fire and Cold equal for example)
Equipment convertion: 20% PhysDmg to FireDmg (for example) = CONVE

Skill:
PhysDmg = PHYS = 100
Skill modifier 1:
Cold (for example) flat damage bonus = COLD = 100
Skill convertion: 20% PhysDmg to ColdDmg (for example) = CONVS
Skill modifier 2:
PhysDmg bonus = BSP = +100%
ColdDmg bonus = BSM = +100%

Next formulas use all convertion in absolute values (20%=0.2)

Total PhysDmg:
DmgPhys = PHYS*(1-CONVS)*(1-KONVE)*(1+BSP*(1-CONVS)*(1-CONVE)+CUNB+BEP)
Total ColdDmg:
ColdDmg=PHYS*CONVS*(1+BSP*CONVS+SPIB+BEM)+COLD*(1+BSM+SPIB+BEM)
Total FireDmg:
FireDmg=PHYS*(1-CONVS)*CONVE*(1+BSP*(1-CONVS)*CONVE+SPIB+BEM)

For examples above it calculates:
PhysDmg=232,96
ColdDmg=464
FireDmg=50,56

This formulas good enough correlate with ingame skills and items convertion.

And some words about Elemental convertion priority.

You can check it on OFF while equip both Decree of Aldrith and Warpfire.
Lets see example:
Nominal OFF Cold Damage = 445 (include all bonus)
Warpfire 51% Cold to Fire
Aldrich 46% Elemental to Aether

Direct logic says: convertion summarized, and Cold damage should be 445*(1-(0.51+0.46))=13.35
BUT!!! convertion applies consistantly and Cold damage will 445*(1-0.46)*(1-0.51)=117.75 And Natural experiment confirm that.
Fire and Aether damage also can be calculated for this example.

Sorry guys if this is the wrong place for this but does anyone know the max conversion roll on the decree of aldritch? I have one with 42% elemental to aether but I have a buddy who says it can roll way higher up to 60%. Does anyone know the max roll? Thanks

Sorry, I do not know the absolute max value. Variances are normally pretty minimal for things like conversion and the base value is 45% so even assuming a 25% variance, that’s approximately 56-57% conversion max. I’d guess the variance is no higher than 30% max since that would give a floor of approximately 31-32% which is really bad compared to the base.

Every time I read about conversion, I become more confused.

If I’m using 2 Exonerators (phys to lightning conversion) + stormcaller’s pact (phys to lightning), do I receive some type of benefit from each? Not necessarily additive/multiplicative, I really just need to know if it is a waste or not.

ok, so Inquistor

for simplicity’s sake let’s say I have no weapon

one point in “Flames of Ignaffar” gives
9% Weapon Damage
9 - 18 Fire Damage
24 Burn Damage

now put one point in its transmuter “Tainted Flame” and it gives
100% Fire Damage converted to Chaos Damage
100% Lighting Damage converted to Vitality Damage

so at this point I do no fire damage, but I do
9% Weapon Damage
9 - 18 Chaos damage
24 Burn Damage

correct ?

now following along the “Flames of Ignaffar” line I put one point in Intensify"
which would normally do
8 Lighting Damage

but because of “Tainted Flame” it does
8 Vitality Damage

correct ?

now following along the “Flames of Ignaffar” line I put one point in “Infernal Purge”
which would normally do
36 Electrocute Damage
10% Fire Damage
10% Lightning Damage

so does that take the original 9 - 18 Fire Damage and the origina 8 Lighting Damage and add 10% to each making it
9.9 - 19.8 Fire Damage
8.8 Lightning Damage
and then converting it to
9.9 - 19.8 Chaos Damage
8.8 Vitality Damage

???

with the
24 Burn Damage and 36 Electrocute Damage still being applied by “Flames of Ignaffar” ?

now I take the Imp constellation with 2 stars
15% Fire Damage
24% Fire Damage

does that 39% Fire Damage get applied to “Flames of Ignaffar” and then the total get converted to Chaos Damage ?

???

and then I take the Gallows constellation with 2 stars
15% Vitality Damage
6 Vitality Damage
24% Vitality Damage
24% Chaos Damage

does that 39% Vitality Damage get applied to the converted Lighting Damage from “Intensify” ?
and does the 24% Chaos Damage get applied to the converted Fire Damage from “Flames of Ignaffar” ?
and what about the 6 Vitality Damage ?
does that get added to the Vitality Damage that “Intensify” does ?

???

This part is missing that armor piercing ignores Internal Trauma damage from your attacks.
if you have 100% armor piercing and use Oleron’s Rage in Soldier for example your attacks will still deal Trauma damage despite dealing no “physical damage” at all.

Just stumbled on that playing full piercing/bleeding BM and remembered your Guide.

Otherwise very good and helpful :wink:

Internal trauma is not a part of the base damage of the weapon, halcyon didn’t miss that.

Will the conversion from the Solael’s Witchfire transmuter affect the physical damage granted to War Cry by the Myth Warborn Gavel?

Yes. /10chars

Just to be clear: Stormbringer of Malmouth has no effect on the damage converted from physical to vitality via Will of the Crypt and Master of Death. Is this correct?

Considering that it doesn’t convert anything on your character, it can’t. The only conversion on that is a pet damage conversion.

Yes./10cha

Might want to add a note somewhere explaining how you can benefit from %damage bonus that do not match the damage type, for example AAR’s modifier gives a +%aether damage that can buff transmuted (chaos) AAR.

That’s basically covered by the order of operations statement, but I can see people not understanding that if they aren’t reading it carefully.

Say I have 100 cold damage and a 50 frostburn dot. I have 100% cold to aether. What will happen?

100 aether, 50 frostburn (the dot is not affected)
100 aether (the dot is lost)
150 aether (the dot is added to the non dot damage)