Allagast Set and Mage Hunter

Hi everyone, i’ve been a lurker for a while, but frustration out of trying to make allagast mage hunter work has finally brought me to post here. So i came here asking for help.

After weeks of theorycrafting and in-game testing i feel defeated. At first i took it as a personal challenge so i could post the build here but now i get why it hasn’t been done before by more active members of this community. I’ll list my observations now, but will make a disclaimer beforehand: i feel like all the points bellow are a problem only on high branch ultimate SR and Gladiator Crucible, as ultimate MC is too easy with enough game knowledge.

My points are:

Trozan skyshard wants CDR, but won’t work well with starpact thanks to it’s damage conversion portion, and falls behind other Trozan specialized sets (Trozan and Iskandra).
Stormbox doesn’t care for CDR at all, given that it already sits at 0.4 secs CD, and it’s true potential relies on lightning rr stacking, better accomplished by vindicators.

Outside of “oh shit” buttons (WoR and MoE), the class offers no option for sustained healing and is extremely squishy due to lower health pool and poor armor rating on the set. ADctH (from Bat, Ultos and Speaf of Heavens) works great with Ghoul, but, once again, is more of a circuit breaker, as it does not garantee satisfatory health regain against life leech resistant enemies (nemesis and bosses).

Life gain through devotions could be passable if the class (masteries + allagast set) wasn’t too glassy (i.e. bad armor values, low health pool), as it dies too easily to bursts of physical damage (low armor, no physical resistance bonuses in set pieces). I also feel like mage hunter allagast set would gain from the same treatment given to pyran set: flat and percentage bonus to health regeneration, that would synergize well with inquisitor seal, mark of the voracious one and behemoth constellation.

Statwise, it feels mediocre. Trozan warlock get’s more flat offensive ability and critical hits are essential for the skyshard damage. I’ve been pairing allagast with mythical eastern set (hands and legs), so i get enough % offensive ability, but with so low flat offensive ability bonuses, it is not a stat that will define the build by itself (3200-3400 oa with deadly aim proc and prioritizing OA items like Mark of the Shadow Queen and Mythical Glyph of the Storm Witch). (i know it is not a low amount by any means, but we compromise too much to be able to hit those numbers, while warlocks can do it without relying on procs or giving up on sustain).

Also, depending on how we chose to tackle the build lack of defenses, we end up compromising constellations that give nice OA bonuses. I get the feeling that the set was designed with “kiting” in mind, but it is impossible to reliably kite in gladiator crucible and small SR arenas, where every enemy is capable os 2-3 hitting you, and we don’t want any more aggroing on these occasions.

I’m set on the idea that lightning allagast mage hunter is a trap, and the way to go is aether focused as it would allow me to gain the benefits from picking Aura of Conviction, which adresses some of the points made above (more physical resistance and flat OA that goes well with all those % OA bonuses).

Though new problems arises as there are poor options for lightning to aether conversion (ring, helm and offhand slots); outside of allagast set, items that suport trozan will not support aether damage; and the lost of damaging procs granted by ultos and storm witch glyph (ring) greatly reduces the build’s power.

Surprisingly (or not), Wendingo Mark goes well with the build when converted to the proper damage type (lightning of, preferably aether) (bind to storm box) on Crucible, as there are lots of enemies to leech life from. Not so well on SR boss levels though, due to life leech resistance and higher burst damage.

Here are some of the Ideas i had:

*The Offhand is self found and i will defenitily swap it for a Thunderstruck affix
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RZROrexN
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNYOoYlV

I also theorycrafted a life regen focused version, with mark of the voracious one, corpse dusts, inquisitor seal, lizard and behemoth constellations. We can get to nice health regen values. Pair it with Healing Rain and the defense problems are passable. But the damage portion of the build suffers alot from this aproach.

So any suggestions on how to work around those points i mentioned? Are there any changes planned by the developers regarding the allagast set mage hunter weaknesses?

Firstly, let me say that that’s a damn good take on the allagast MH. Devotions are beautifully done, and so too were the item choices with one sole exception - the belt.

Like it or not, storm shepherd belt is BiS here. You’re just going to need to make do without the skill points. It offers too big a damage boost to both TSS + SBoE.

I would also maybe try starfury amulet instead, but I doubt it’d make too big a difference.

Moving on, tether scales with casting speed, so you might want to 10/10 mental alacrity.

Lastly, I would try iskandra’s relic.

FYI - The biggest power of allagast set lies in deadly aim. I won’t go into the details here, but you can read my explanation here

EDIT: Welcome to the forums! Hope to see more quality builds from you. :slight_smile:

As for glassiness…you gotta dump more points into vigor my man.

Try typhoon powder as well.

Allagast magehunter is the srtrongest TSS build right now (actually I would say it’s one of the strongest in the whole game)
I’m playing this spec, and it’s super strong just in everything

1 Like

@dmt: No aether/lightning conversion???

Nope, main damage comes from shattered star and tether, also dont’ want to spend ring slots only for conversion and loose those juicy res ans bonuses on Allagast rings

Iono mate. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would defintiely try storm shepherd belt + stormwitch ring. Seems like strong competition.

1 Like

May be I will have some time and post Allagast guide, then have it nerfed and cry again, idk :smirk:

1 Like

What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger.

YOU HEAR THAT, ZANTAI?

YOU’RE ONLY MAKING ME STRONGER :muscle::muscle::muscle:

edit: @DMT - do post the MH build if you get the chance. I always enjoy reading your guides. <3

1 Like

1 Like

This guy looks so creepy :scream:

I know. which is why it makes me laugh

1 Like

Thank you very much, means a lot coming from a veteran like you. As for the belt slot, i usually roll with mythical arcanoweave. The beronath was an attempt to capitalize on the inquisitor seal flat absorption.

I was at my workplace when i posted and didn’t have the link to my most recent theorycraft (don’t tell my boss). This is closer to what I aimed for:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/p25JLglV

I will consider your suggestions and try something out of them. Got some ideas already.

Any input on how it rolls on deeper SR shards? Is the life steal enough against nemesis since you’ve got no life leech rr by going Crown instead of Revenant. Such low physical resistance is sure to be a problem right?

It’s as tanky as hell, for SR better to switch to Bane instead of Ignaffar

DMT makes really sturdy specs because she goes for pretty deep SR dives, so if you want suggestions on that front, she’s your gal.

I on the other hand play mostly naked crucible, and rely very heavily on positioning to stay alive, so my builds are a lot glassier. My personal preference here would still be stormshepherd belt.