Allows experience gain to be turned off/on

Hello Create, First I would like to thank you for this amazing game and the Xbox version. Also, thank you very much for the changes in the way you loot and level up in version 1.2 of GD and for continuing the game with a new expansion.

I would like to ask that a feature be added that allows experience gain to be turned off/on. For example, an NPC in Devil’s Crossing that allows us to switch between gaining experience or not.

JUSTIFICATIONS

Until reaching the maximum level 100, we cannot stay long enough at a lower level to become strong in it (complete a build), because, for example:

• before you get enough level 50 items, you are already close to level 70
  • before you get enough level 70 items, you are already close to level 85

The new loot changes are very good, it really helped a lot in this regard, but I still feel the need to stop gaining experience.

Now, in 1.2, I can get level +20 equipment in Act 1, which helps a lot, but I can’t get a full set at level 20, before reaching 35.

During leveling, when I get enough reputation to buy level 35 items from faction stores, I am already at level 50.

This way, the game becomes a race to level 100, so you can equip yourself properly. And I know this is the preference of most players.

But it didn’t have to be like this for everyone, just for those who were interested (OPTIONAL), this experience of properly equipping oneself for the next act could be part of the leveling up.

This would make hardcore mode much more interesting, since, for this type of game, equipping yourself well every 10 levels is already a practice. However, it is a challenge to be well equipped to switch from one act to another due to the rapid gain of experience.

I always start the game in normal mode so I don’t get bonus experience, but even so, I always equip myself poorly during leveling because I gain experience faster than I get equipment to form a build.

In short, Grim Dawn is a great RPG, with a great story. However, those who create new characters to go through all the game’s content again do so because of the gameplay and the variety of builds that GD offers. By adding the experience gain on/off (OPTIONAL), it would allow this experience to be carried out during leveling, and not only at the maximum level.

The discussions on this topic gave me more arguments to add here.

GD is a wonderful game!
I loved version 1.2, I’m playing it.
No one needs to stop gaining experience to play Grim Dawn.

However, for some game styles, being able to stop gaining experience will allow several possibilities, such as taking advantage of the game’s final content, such as Monster Totems, rogue-like dungeon, SR, crucible, which are activities that give a lot of experience, repeatedly, at a specific low level, without leveling up.

Xbox, level 26 character, hasn’t gone to Act 2 yet.

I took a photo because I don’t know how to download a screenshot from the Xbox.

Character level 26, loot level 33.

Welcome to version 1.2, I still liked it, because at least it comes with items at the character’s level. It would be better if I could stop gaining experience at some levels.

This text was translated by Google, if anything seems strange, you can ask and I will try to explain it another way.

Not sure if you like using tools but I already provided such a feature for someone in the past

now I have GUI version of this tool and can add it there if you’re interested

1 Like

Hello,

Where was your GDHacker when I had a PC to play GD?

Unfortunately, my current PC is bad and I can only play well on Xbox.

I’m able to play with all the graphics off or low, I’m going to try GDHacker.

Well there was Grim Internals back then so there was no need for developing it too much.
As for Experience freeze, I have some free space in the Gui atm pointed by the red arrow so I could add Experience Freeze checkbox there. I’ll probably make an update version in 1-3 days

And “Game speed” label could be renamed to “Game engine” I guess

2 Likes

my antivirus blocked it…
It would actually be nice if this functionality was added to the game, which would allow this functionality to be available on the Xbox.

I think Grim League Grim League has a potion like that :thinking: You could play it I guess.
The chance of :crate: developing this is not very high I think. Although maybe they could add a potion for it Grim League style.

I had problems with it but now I managed to compile the program in a way that most AV companies don’t flag it as malware. More in “Detected as malware” section where I explain this.

1 Like

Here’s the mentioned potion from Grim League

Potion of Stubbornness - Items - Grim Dawn Item Database (GD League Season 5 Mod)

1 Like

I hope that if one day they implement this functionality, it won’t be through these potions.

Because the idea is that you can use this from the first act and first character, without having a maximum level character who would farm this potion.

For example, if I’m going to start hardcore, I’d like to be able to block experience gain by just talking to an NPC who would switch from gaining experience to not gaining experience.

At the very least, some piece of gear that cuts experience would be interesting. Could also add some sort of achievement.

Would make the no mastery challenge an absolute slog and something that I am sure some masochist would complete.

1 Like

I’d also like XP gain to be reduced. I used to play with “slow leveling” mod where XP was cut down to 10 % from every source. I liked it. Every level-up and skill point felt more meaningful. I stayed long enough on every level for the early items to matter. Combat was more difficult too.

1 Like

patently false, objectively so

items doesn’t need to match char level 1:1 constantly; and also “yes you can”, rather easily even - sounds like someone suffering from rarityitis and only tries to wear blues and purples :man_shrugging:

use a Mandate

no, never was, even less so now

anyways, actual listed reasons aside being totally flawed and not actually applicable to the game,
i think being able to turn off XP or having the ingame ability to lower XPgain ratio is a good idea :+1:
simply because i’ve seen several other players want slower XP gain, sorta like “counter (malmouth) XP potion” if you will, and having that as vanilla option would hurt no one,
(might even enable some silly challenge stuff like “how low level can you beat Crucible” etc)

This is not true, I even deleted my save and am starting the game over from scratch.

And my fresh start plan only includes MI easy to obtain:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lV7vw852

And although most of them are obtainable at low levels, so I plan to level that way, they soon become obsolete and unleveled. If I could stop the experience gain, I could have them all for a specific level.

What I understand is that you don’t care about having a full build at low levels, so you can’t understand my request. But remember, it’s optional!

this doesn’t matter
aside from most MIs with modifiers being so strong you don’t need frequent upgrades (it’s the modifier that carries)
there is ofc also the other very obvious point; you can easily refarm MIs at XY level when you then need the upgrades
base MIs usually upgrade around every 15 levels or so (and you don’t need upgrades in between the way scaling is fine even on base items/non MIs)
ex for your build up there

you just go grab a new bonescythe when you feel like, around every 15 levels or so
but you don’t really “need” to, because the modifiers doesn’t change, so you could easy use a base version for 30 levels, since the base stats and affix scaling isn’t that huge each 15th level

i do, i frequently level my silly chars as their intended meme
generally it’s not hard, since the highest minimum level MI with modifiers is like level 40, which is just around the time when your build can “pick up” anyway, so you’re just carrying XY up to that point (stopping XP gain would not help that)
and in most cases you can still use the build’s intended skills even if it might not reach “final form” yet until a couple other MIs or conversion items is obtained, but since MC is scaled the way it is, it’s also not required.
And filler items are likewise easy to obtain and isn’t dependant on your XP so in that regard also doesn’t need to lock it off.

Like i said, the overall suggestion is good, but the specific underlying reasoning used would seem to indicate there is some basic stuff being overlooked “can already do”/“works fine”

So I think differently than you.
In fact, you will find many people in your life who disagree with you on almost everything, and many of them may even be right…

I would like to have the experience of having a complete build at lower levels. You’re fine with only worrying about this at max level. Developers can please both!

It doesn’t make sense for you to disregard my pleas to developers just because you don’t feel the same need.

again, no?
what part of what i just posted would indicate that? literally said the opposite :sweat_smile:

i’m gonna assume there is a language barrier here then? because i straight up said i agree with the suggestion,
it’s just the reasons you used doesn’t make “sense”, because those you can already solve within the game as is/“right now”. But the idea of reduced XP feature is good :smile:

Yes, I understood you, but you don’t understand me, but I understood why, see below.

It’s not about needing to be stronger to complete the content, even on the highest difficulties. NOBODY NEEDS TO STOP TO COMPLETE A BUILD AT LEVEL 50, TO MAKE CONTENT AT THAT LEVEL. COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY. And in fact, as you said, there is no problem with that.

The question is different, okay?

As I said above:

One of the reasons why I, and many who play Grim Dawn, and replay the content on three difficulties for various characters, is because we like creating builds. Perhaps those with this profile (an even smaller percentage of players, which doesn’t include you) want to do this from the beginning, even stopping at a certain level to create a complete build.

It’s not because you need it, but it’s because we like to play that way.

I play a multiplayer game on my cell phone, and it’s exactly like that. There are several levels, and those who like to level strong, stop at these levels and become strong at them. Because it’s multiplayer, the highlight is the pvp at these levels, but in Grim Dawn it would be, for example, doing SR at these levels and seeing how far you could go with your level 70 build. The game becomes completely alive at every level, not just at the maximum level.

I think some kind of potion that stops the experience gain there at the Devil’s Crossing vendors would be good. That should be enough for some kind of self-imposed challenge.

1 Like

which is again not what i pointed out…

again, you seem to totally miss what i’m saying, either ignoring it or picking a singular part and misconstruing it, which i’m guessing is language barrier?

“i’m one of those players”
i level through the game slowly, every time, i never speed level to 100,
i level my char mostly the way they are intended to be not the way they are intended to be “at end”, i carefully spend like 20-25hours or more enjoying levelling each new char i make,
because the part of the game i like is levelling and going through campaign

i’m saying, your exact specified reason “the points you chose” to make a good suggestion, doesn’t make sense, because those specific points you can already clear with current ingame methods “as is”
without rushing, to end or ignoring things etc etc
perhaps this will help to serve as example what i mean with those specific points being off (despite overall suggestion being great)
you said; “this was an issue/we can’t do this without cutting off XP”, i said “you can already do this”
ex hitting Respected well before lvl 35 (heck in this case i actually got all the way to Honoured)

get my point now?

Ok, the term “meme” has no translation into my language, Portuguese.

In Brazil, we use the word “meme” as a joke, childish, mainly, funny images of dark humor… So, I understood that you don’t level slowly, but as quickly as you can to reach 100, like a child (meme).