an option to auto pickup components

Perhaps, but they are going to console. And this is a pretty big console QoL.

I have a handy mouse to avoid too much grief. They will not.

Edit: and if it really got to me, I could mod this. They can not.

Tbh we don’t know that yet. Crate’s philosophy is something along the lines that autopickup of components will devalue the components. I can’t find the post/statement by Zantai but… I wouldn’t expect their views to change

You’re talking about console players like they were people.
Weird.

/S

The way the PC GD fan could look at it is as follows:

Typical console ports that are not designed for such from the start are usually up to a few years behind.

Crate’s got another DLC in them and GD might sit after that. But if there are still strong business (ie, money) incentives, then QoL and balance patches and such might be justified in future

Consoles may be such an incentive, if they successfully fit the console limitations well.

(I also have a few friends that couldn’t be bothered to mod or try anything but console…so I am familiar with the mentality somewhat).

Yes please, component management is really annoying

Me neither, but here’s what’s been said in recent streams.

30th March:
Zantai_GD :we’re not adding any auto-pick up

4th May:
Vaalgard :autopickup for mats when tho?
Zantai_GD :we’re not adding auto pickup

It was probably asked for yet again in the stream of the 22nd June, but I decided it wasn’t worth reposting repetitive questions that have already been answered so just stuck with the new stuff.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69297

What changes, if any, they’re making to the console version we don’t know, but I think it’s pretty clear this isn’t coming to the PC version. And anyway there are mods available which do this job so you can use one of them.

I am pretty sure it’s asked every or every other stream. I don’t remember a stream where there wasn’t “Zantai_GD: we’re not adding auto pickup” in chat or said by the streamer.

Also, I think it’s becoming a meme already. I saw somewhere a guy asking if Crate will add auto pick up for components, and another guy answered “Zantai”. Probably don’t have to say what that means. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not going to happen. Lots of players have been begging for it, and Crate has said no.

I don’t see them saying no no no for years to PC users, only to turn around and let the console users have the feature. That wouldn’t go over very well.

I play with an Xbox One controller myself. I played with the “Quickloot” mod for many hours. Even though it didn’t always work perfectly (often has trouble picking Scrap up for some reason), it was rather nice. I’m not playing it anymore though because I switched to another mod that buffs drop rates for epics and legendaries, and unfortunately it can’t work at the same time as Quickloot. But even after having autoloot working for that long, I can’t say I’m horribly annoyed at having to pick up components manually again. But it was a nice QoL for a while.

my thoguhts are that "the game is moddable, there is a mod (some w/ included)
use the mod, if your gonna be a “purist” then you cant complain

as for console editions, my view is “mods, thats what they missout on opposed to PC”

i just wish that the mod would have 2 more features,
an on/off toggle, and increased range (~5 meters)
(for referance i belive the distance for $/pot pickup is .8 or something silly)

for me, the auto component pickup triggers my ocd, and i dont like it cluttering my inventory,
theres the code used to allow use of components from stash by the blacksmith,
if a more advanced modder could combine that to the autoloot mod
and make components go directly to a stash pannel,
that would be the bees knees… er the atherials crystals?

Can you imagine how the gameplay would be like with auto pickup? Who´d want that anyway?

Click me, maybe.

The problem with the “just use a mod” solution is that if you want auto-loot, then you have to forfeit using any other mods, or else get auto-loot as part of a package deal with other stuff that you don’t necessarily want. Either that, or learn how to merge mods, which based on my limited research on the subject isn’t exactly a piece of cake.

Of course there’s no reason not to inform people who want auto-loot that there are mods for it, but IMO it’s not appropriate to say that with the attitude that auto-loot not being in the main game is inconsequential because there are mods that add it. That would be a valid position if GD was like Skyrim with respect to how the mods work, but it isn’t.

Personally I think it’s kind of bizarre for a developer to simply disregard adding a simple feature that seems to have overwhelming desirability from the players, but that’s Crate’s prerogative. Obviously they think adding auto-loot for components would be some kind of egregious violation of the experience they want for players. I don’t understand that point of view, but I didn’t participate in creating the game.

For me it is the most important QOL feature. Clicking and managing stuff is too much for my taste.

You can always assign a button for this, run after the pile of stuff and repeat pushing that button till success.

The devs consider dev time and fan request as consideration to implement something. I have been in this forum for a while and i don’t see “overwhelming” demand for this.

Stuff like movement skills in the upcoming expansion are being implemented because they have been requested by a lot of people for years.

I haven’t been around for as long as you Norzan, so I won’t argue the point. But I do know that the subject has come up quite a few times, and that it’s asked multiple times during every dev stream. Whether it’s “overwhelming” or not is a matter of personal interpretation I suppose.

You mentioned development time, but I don’t think that’s much of a concern here. I do not recall Zantai or other Crate devs ever mentioning the time or difficulty of implementing the feature, though I admit once again I haven’t been around that long. Based on what I’ve seen, however, it’s pretty clear that auto-loot components is something that the Crate team is just not interested in doing, period. I only hope that the attitude behind it is ideological in nature, and not simply because people have already made mods for it - which I covered earlier.

The tool I posted, Grim Internals, is just that, a tool, not a mod. No need to start a new character. And you can switch off any feature you don´t like.

I am pretty sure it´s ideological in nature. And I understand that decision. I just don´t like it. With the amount of stuff that drops, GD is a fucking clickfest no matter what, I don´t want to know what it is like for people with gout or other illnesses.

Well, auto pickup and polls/requests for it have been around for a long time.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find Medierra’s post, but iirc he feels that having a loot all button would lose the magic of finding something special. Of course that’s not the same thing as just looting components, but I think he wants a limit on what you gather automatically and what you have to actually click on to pick up.

rebel7254 and Norzan, yes dev time comes into it as does what the fans would like to see. But sometimes the devs have to make a decision on what will work best for them in the game. The one I remember is the bonus completions on components - originally they all had random completion bonuses. Zantai had a poll on whether to keep random completion or not because they were beginning to cause problems. The vote was overwhelmingly yes, but later the devs decided to remove them because they were making implementing other things more difficult.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20580&highlight=poll+component+bonuses

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28426&highlight=poll+component+bonuses

Dev time does concern because it has priorities. Having to do one thing means losing time that you could be using to make another thing instead. There’s also the concern of a lot of players actually using this option, work has to be rewarded. Putting dev time into something and then barely anyone using it is a waste.

My own view is that not only should there be auto-pickup, but that the components shouldn’t even take up inventory space - they should just get filed away in a limitless index page which tells you how many of each you have. That would streamline it even more and save on the amount of unnecessary clicking and tedium.

Someone suggested that Crate’s refusing to have auto-pickup for a philosophical reason, that it would somehow devalue the components. That doesn’t make much sense to me because if they truly felt that way (and actually thought it through), they wouldn’t have implemented the auto combine or auto sort features either.

You can always take advantage of save files to get stacks of maxed components, then you never have to pick them up again.