Are Borderlands games any good?

Thats true.
And btw, the weapon components guides should have been a must read for every bl player.
the varied components in game doesn’t give any description of their effects.
players need to refer to the guides or remember them so that they know the weapon gives
extra damage, accuracy, or even extra features like double shot…
the prefix & suffix are not clear enough for describing the weapon’s stats…
this is true for all borderlands game.

sometimes i myself have to repeatedly farm quest reward for a blue item even
if its the right element i want. for example, a hail that doesn’t get vladof
components in almost all of it slot are kinda underwhelming… its even worse
if it has reduced reload speed.

BL2 indeed has its issues, that is why you install the Community Patch and play with that. It fixes most issues.

Vanilla BL2… People rave over its itemization. But its shit. Many combination options, but only a dozen that are actually worth it. It has a few good weapons and then you still need to farm for that specific prefix/suffix to make it worthwhile and useful. Grinding in BL2 is unrewarding and the unfun kind of a grind. And the stats on most items is bad or outright useless. When going to UVHM the game is just full of bullshit in general. Once again. Community Patch fixes most of the issues to make it an actually fun game in that regard. Pre-sequel did farming also a lot better in the aspect of making it at least more rewarding. In an hour (max 5-6 hours) of grinding a specific boss I had almost its entire loot pool together. While farming for shields or oz-kits were just really short and convenient runs like the good old days where we farmed.

As for shields and grenades there are usually only 2 must-haves you need per slot and you got all your bases covered. Which isn’t really great itemization either.

Extra Accuracy is a stat in this game you should ignore. There are plenty of articles out there that show it makes little to no difference.

Build Variety is very limited in looter shooters in general. If you can make 3-4 different builds per character…that’s a lot. And a hell of a lot more than what you get in Destiny/Anthem and the like. Which call themselves looter shooters, but they’re really not if you take a closer look.

yes. bl 2’s big problem lies on its exponentially unbalanced scaling… gearbox
focused too much on its 87 gazillion or something gun combinations, and they
got carried away by making numbers bigger and bigger and in yo face.
forcing players to use absurd mechanic like health gating, or using cookie
cutter builds for mid to late game leveling (thank god for respec), or
always carrying moxxi weapons for lifesteal (healing methods are lacking in
bl2).

The Raid Bosses, OP levels & digistruct peak is the best representation of this problem.

bl 1 and bl 1,5 does right on its scaling. but on the minus side, they’re also
kinda lacking in end game challenges. but they’re still good all around and
pretty fun to play.

despite all that, what bl 2 had over its siblings are the end game challenges,
and thats what aspire fans like me to keep grinding until my chars are all
lvl 72 (and maybe OP4 at most) with all raidbosses defeated solo, and all the
interesting uniques added to my collection (don’t forget the badass ranks!).

i don’t really care about build varieties in end game, because the bl 2 forums
already accept that build varieties in end game are limited by design. I myself
just focus on the shooting part without bothering much about the numbers.
bl2 is more enjoyable that way!

accuracy… like gaige said, accuracy’s overrated anyway.
(unless gearbox does something different about accuracy in bl3, like maybe
a char that have more damage the higher their accuracy stat is).

anyway, its sad that gearbox has stopped updates for the trio bl games for a
long time (bl1 feels so dusty now). maybe i’ll try the bl2 community patch one day.

There are only 3 other games I have spent more time playing than GD. The Pokemon series, DoTA (1 and 2 combined), and Borderlands 2. BL2 is just one of the greatest games of all time so I definitely recommend it.

On the BL2 loot problem, I agree that out of the million or so guns the game can generate, only a handful are really worth it, but since the loot system is almost the exact opposite of GD’s system, you can just target 1 guy and farm him all over to get the good guns (Savage Lee farming at level 10 anyone? or Lascaux at level 10 lasting you until 20ish?). The scarcity of good guns in BL2 is always exaggerated, though. Everyone always thinks of the Harolds, the Pimpernels, the BeeHawks but there are also a decent amount of good guns that don’t belong to the absolute top tier but can still carry you to at least 72. Heartbreaker, Maggie, Plasma Casters, almost every Jakobs Shotgun out there that isn’t triple barreled.

1 Like

I think BL2 has enough replayability and itemization strategies (manufacturer builds like Jakobs Salvador or using Flakker, for example) Of course, there are some issues with balance (balance for newcomers is shit, in my opinion) and itemization (DPUH and Grog Nozzle, what?), but I think BL2 is still enjoyable. Steamcharts agrees with me - https://steamcharts.com/app/49520

P.S. Don’t forget x3 drop increase couple years ago. So you can get your perfect B!tch.

In my opinion yes it is one of those franchises that will give you hours and hours of play