Asking for help with understanding game mechanics

I had so much fun so far with just exploring the game, yet it seems I’m SO behind with it :wink:

OK, my build should be here: Dervish, Level 84 (GD 1.1.9.1) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (I noticed I lack aether soul in amulet).

So far the only problems I had were in adept crucible wave 125, when I shadow strike’d a weird human boss enemy (like with a skull icon and some red markings) and it killed me instantly. IDK what happened that time.

About those quests… well… 8/39 one shot chests in elite certainly doesn’t seem impressive :wink:

Requnix claims another soul…

4 Likes

So, you must be a Lokarr of this forum… nice to meet you :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Not really bro, I am just remembering my time as a GD beginner, that website is flashy but all in all kinda useless IMO. Much better picking up info here and following legit build guides.

3 Likes

There can be only one.

5 Likes

Welcome to GD. Best aRPG if not a little outdated technically.

Anyways, comparing items, don’t look at the dps stat beyond early levels. It only accounts for a fraction of true dps. Get Grim Internals (resources tab on this forum) it has an overlay that shows dps of different dmg types accounting for procs, crits, buffs, debuffs, wps, etc.

Or just go by feel.

That must be Zantarin, undead nemesis. Another reason to get Internals. You get hovering enemy names. Then you go grimtools.com and check them out. There, you’d see he has a killer shotgun skill with million projectiles, hard to survive without flat dmg absorption (like Ascension or Inquisitor Seal) and better to wait out.

Truly, this game is pretty much impossible to play beyond a certain (quite low even) level without research.

Also, I checked that build followed and it looks random. It’s definitely not optimized. Unmaxed ABB on full Venomblade? If one want pure acid melee on Fervor there are better things than full Venomblade. It won’t make a big difference at this point for you but if you wanna learn the game better follow competent builds. Check out @grey-maybe ‘s list GrimSheet: Endgame Build Table - ETE edition [v1.41] - #435 by A_S00 for (IMO) some of the best builds by some the most accomplished guys in this game.

2 Likes

Oh, so I encountered my first nemezis without even knowing :wink:

Zantai is everyone’s nemesis :smirk:

I came from Diablo 2/3 and Torchlight 1/2 and I wouldn’t call those more “up to date” than GD, actually. Thanks to good animations and lighting effects mostly. If I would replace one thing in GD, it would be those dialogue windows…

I was actually thinking abuot maxing ABB instead of investing like 15 points to reach execution, only to add 1 point into it. I might respec, test it, then eventually go back.

OK, I got almost everything except of this part:

What is it

What is this blue eye, and this red icon on this iterm? It seems I totally missed that part of the game.

These are an illusion and a component.

2 Likes

OK, so seal of blades and just an indicator about apearance of an item being changed. Got it. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello guys.

I’ve been playing in Shadow Realm lately, up to shard 25, being bored as hell. I’ve heard people writing about “SR 75-76”, but I don’t understant what does it mean: starting in SR 75 (like starting in crucible from wave X) and then playing just 8 levels (2x boss fights)? How to start in lvl 75?

The Shattered Realm - Official Grim Dawn Wiki

Yes - it is similar to Crucible in this respect (with being able to start at higher levels).

Thanks, I was in wiki before entering SR for the first time, missed the part about waystones.

Is there a way to stop Ravager of Flesh from healing by dealing dmg to me? Like an effect/skill that would block it on him? He seems to be leeching my life faster than I can deal dmg to him :wink:

I don’t think Ravager leeches. I think you need more damage. Have you upgraded your weapons? How does your character look now?

It’s good, I’m in the middle of act 2 ultimate, died once so far. When I’m careful, ultimate doesn’t seem all that bad.

It looks like this now: Dervish, Level 96 (GD 1.1.9.1) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator I still don’t have soulbound items on shoulders, belt and helmet nor do I have components on belt, ring and helmet. When I do that, it should be around full res. I don’t really have an idea on what component to put into belt slot, all I can create seems to suck atm. Any suggestions about important soulbound/components that aren’t just +resistances?

How much armor absorbtion do I finally need? I have 84% atm. Do I need 100%?

I was thinking about Shattered Realm 5/10/15 around act 3/4, on ultimate, If I could survive it.

OK, so I shadow striked some elite monster in shattered realm 4, and it killed me instantly, not even Mercy / Unlife was able to proc and save me. Is there a combat log in this game, which will tell me what exactly happened? If so, how tu turn it on?

Open your char sheet, hold over mouse arrow to DA text, it will tell the last one hit you. Open the 3rd page, scroll down to bottom to check which mob dealt the highest dmg to you.

Perhaps record your gameplay if you have the possibility to be able to analyze it later, check out monsters in GrimTools.

GrimInternals has an option to make a screenshot when you die and some CombatLogConsole but I don’t think players use it / not sure if it’s useful.

Maybe you were critted / retaliated against.