AssetManager setup for gdx2 ?

Hi,

Having a question about how to properly set the options for extracting the FG content with Asset Manager.

I know how to do it for the base game and gdx1 using the additional browse and source directories.

So if I now want to add gdx2 files as well how do I do that?
Extract twice (once for gdx1 and once for gdx2) or can I type more than one directory in those fields?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Additional Browse directories =
L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\database;L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\resources;L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx1\resources;L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx2\resources;L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx1\database;L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx2\database\

Additional Source Directories =
L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\database;L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\resources;L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx1\resources;L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx2\resources;L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx1\database;L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx2\database\

Pretty bummed out right now. I tried doing what asylum said with no luck. It’s weird because I never had to add additional directories or additional sources to extract AoM content. I tried using the gdx2 file path and gdx2/database file path. I also tried with and without a \ to end the filepath name. My last effort was to only include gdx2 file path, excluding gdx1. If done correctly there should be an gdx2 folder in the mods folder, right?

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, as I’ve extracted the game 5 or 6 times adjusting the paths. Is there another way?

EDIT:

Alright boys, I have 2 good pieces of news: I found a way to extract the files, and it won’t requiring making any type of scripts or w/e to force the extraction. In fact, it’s extremely easy.

Short Version: Just copy and paste GDX2.arz into the root directory database folder and rename it to database.arz after deleting/moving the original database.arz

More explained version:

Step 1:

Delete database.arz in
C:\Program Files (x86)…\Grim Dawn\database

Step 2:

Go into the FG expansion folder, gdx2 in
C:\Program Files (x86)…\Grim Dawn\gdx2
and Copy and Paste GDX2.arz into

Step 3:

Rename GDX2.arz to database.arz

Step 4:

Open asset Manager as Admin and Extract the game files like normal. An error may pop up during the extraction – everything is fine, just close that error window and the extraction will continue smoothly. This puts all of Forgotten God files in what would be vanilla’s files extraction destination. Later bros

Are you not getting anything from the extraction? No database or resources? You can try writing a batch file to directly extract from the gdx2.arz

I’m getting nothing, almost as if adding those additional paths have 0 effect

Edit: what I mean is, I get base game and AoM extraction as normal, but gdx2 refuses to extract

I completely uninstalled Grim Dawn and used software to remove any registries related to the game. My PC now has 0% Grim Dawn located on it. I’m now reinstalling which should finish hours from now. If I don’t respond in like 12 hours from now, then it’s still not working. I’ll try more searching for anyone with this similar problem

After deleting all the previously extracted files, I changed:

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx1\

in additional source directories to:

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx1;D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx2\

and it only recreated the base files and gdx1 files. So apparently you aren’t the only person having problems.

I just used a .bat file with the following script to get the gdx2 files:
ArchiveTool gdx2.arz -database C:\Files

This will create a folder named records with the extracted gdx2 files, be sure to put it inside a gdx2/database/ folder.

Hopefully, this method won’t create any new problems down the road.

ArchiveTool gdx2.arz -database C:\Files

This will only work if you have gdx2 and archive tool (and the associated dlls) in the folder with the arz.

[archivetool location] [gdx2.arz location] -database [desired destination]

for example my batch script is:

“L:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Grim Dawn/archivetool.exe” “L:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Grim Dawn/gdx2/database/gdx2.arz” -database “L:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Grim Dawn/gdx2/records/”

@pause

There’s probably yet a better way, but this is what works for me and it will work anywhere, without requiring to copy the archivetool and co. everywhere I need it.

Still having issues with this.

I used the following in a .bat file:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn\archivetool.exe” “C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn\gdx2\database\gdx2.arz” -database “C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn\gdx2\records”

@pause

I can see the files extracting but when I go look in the destination folder it is empty?

Also tried adding the dirs in the options for asset manager seperated by a ; and it only extracted the base game and gdx1 but not gdx2.

EDIT: would prefer to know how to do it using asset manager as I am used to that utility.

Your original idea posted should work

Extract twice (once for gdx1 and once for gdx2) or can I type more than one directory in those fields?

Extract once the old way using GDX1 in the additional source directory

Then do it again using GDX2 in your additional source directory.

The GDX1 folder should be untouched the second pass and your GDX2 stuff should be extracted now.

The thing is, you don’t even need to add gdx1 as an additional directory/source; it will extract it automatically. Why can’t the devs make gdx2 do the same thing? It feels dirty to make a bat to force getting something the modding tools should already be able to do. I’m glad I’m not the only one with this problem.

Just tried it;

Extracted gdx1 with these settings and works as expected

additionalbuilddirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn\gdx1
additionalsourcedirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn\mods\gdx1
localdir0=C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn
builddir0=C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn
toolsdir0=C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn\

And then did the same for gdx2 with these settings and the files did not extract:

additionalbuilddirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn\gdx2
additionalsourcedirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn\mods\gdx2
localdir0=C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn
builddir0=C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn
toolsdir0=C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn\

No idea what i am doing wrong to be honest…

What’s more, even after I used a bat script to extract gdx2, I can’t actually get the files to register properly in asset manager. With the Additional Source Directories field set up like so:

D:\Games\GOG Games\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn\mods\gdx1;D:\Games\GOG Games\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn\mods\gdx2
(please ignore my horrifying folder structure)

it sees the new folders, like /scriptedentitiesgdx2, but it doesn’t actually overwrite old files (for instance, importing malepc01.dbr to a new mod gives me an old file that doesn’t include the Oathkeeper mastery in the skill tree, which the new malepc01.dbr file within the gdx2 folder does include). Even if I leave out the gdx1 folder, or put gdx2 first, or anything else I could think of, it just won’t work. I’m also new at modding, so I’ll allow I may be doing something wrong here, but it’s definitely been frustrating.

That said, one workaround is just opening gdx2 as a mod, copying the file in question, then switching to my own mod and pasting it in. It’s a hassle, and doesn’t seem like the intended method, but I can in fact make mods that work, so there is that.

Alright boys, I have 2 good pieces of news: I found a way to extract the files, and it won’t requiring making any type of scripts or w/e to force the extraction. In fact, it’s extremely easy.

Short Version: Just copy and paste GDX2.arz into the root directory database folder and rename it to database.arz after deleting/moving the original database.arz

More explained version:

Step 1:

Delete database.arz in

Step 2:

Go into the FG expansion folder, gdx2 in
C:\Program Files (x86)…\Grim Dawn\gdx2
and Copy and Paste GDX2.arz into

Step 3:

Rename GDX2.arz to database.arz

Step 4:

Open asset Manager as Admin and Extract the game files like normal. An error may pop up during the extraction – everything is fine, just close that error window and the extraction will continue smoothly. This puts all of Forgotten God files in what would be vanilla’s files extraction destination. Later bros

Sexy /10char

same here, only vanilla extracted that way, as if the ; separator is not treated as such and then the whole string is treated as one dir, which then obviously is not found

ASYLUM101’s batch script worked for me (of course I changed the root folder, and removed the unnecessary spaces).

I’m used to TQ modding; how to I include gdx1 and gdx2 data into my mod? Should I have a “mod” folder or just:

• database
  • gdx1\database (or mod\gdx1\database?)
  • gdx2\database (or mod\gdx2\database?)

Also, which gameengine is taken into account by the game now?

You should not duplicate vanilla files, the mod only includes the files you changed (I assume you know that)

You should treat this as one large database, where gdx1\database is copied into database (overwriting whatever is there if there are duplicates) and then gdx2\database is copied over that. So the gdx2 records take precedence over gdx1 which take precedence over vanilla and it is all one large database.

Oh, ok, didn’t know about the precedence thing. Cool. Better structure than TQ then! (where all was mixed up) Thanks.

This puts all of Forgotten God files in what would be vanilla’s files extraction destination.

But wouldn’t that mean that AOM records get precedence over FG records since they are now in the base database?