Bad Performance / low FPS / Tearing with 4K

Hi folks,

after enjoying GD a lot on a 1920x1200 display, I recently upgraded to a beautiful 4K display. Since then, I am however experiencing fps-drops in graphics-demanding regions (fire/effects, high monster/NPC count and the like). Otherwise I am getting solid 60 fps (with V-Sync), in said regions I get sth between 45 and 55 fps, leading to ugly tearing.

It is my understanding that my machine should in principal be able to cope with the game with solid 60fps, given its specs. Please correct me if I am wrong:

• i7 6700K
  • GTX 1060 6GB
  • 16 GB DDR4-2133

I have found many people with similar problems on the web and already tried the following with no/little success so far

• Enabling adaptive V-Sync through Nvidia Control panel
  • Reducing shadows and similar demanding graphic settings like AA filtering (although my machine should be able to crunch it?)
  • Moving the save-file and disabling cloud saving both in Steam as well as in-game
  • Restricting the game to physical cores except core 0

The only thing I have not tried so far is running the game from a ramdisk and at this point I am a bit reluctant to believe that this would help.

Did I miss something (obvious)? Did I do something else wrong? It would really be great to enjoy this fantastic game everywhere in 4K without tearing.

Cheers & thank in advance for any help

Really, nobody here that has a hint?

What is the refresh rate of your monitor? I found that my acer predator which goes to 144 and has a direct port cord instead of HDMI needed v-sync turned OFF and had to be in FULL SCREEN mode and it eliminated all the lag and tearing and crap that I was getting in ALL my games.

attached

Thanks. Most of it was known/irrelevant to me but there are a few useful hints that I will try.

You can trust me that I already spent hours googling for solutions, that is where all my trials listed above come from. However I never would’ve used powbam as a keyword. This returned some interesting threads in this forum, basically telling me that I am not alone and it is more or less the game engine that is limiting and not much one can do about it :cry:

What is the refresh rate of your monitor? I found that my acer predator which goes to 144 and has a direct port cord instead of HDMI needed v-sync turned OFF and had to be in FULL SCREEN mode and it eliminated all the lag and tearing and crap that I was getting in ALL my games.

60 Hz. Without Vsync the experience is terrible. When the FPS is above 60 and gets capped, everything is nice.

Because I know powbam has posted solutions, but never bookmarked it. However, if you peruse through that you might find it.

I did find one interesting tid bit in the thread quoted below.