Beginner build guides Compendium (for AoM + FG expansions)

New beginner builds move to the OP.

4 Likes

Did Ulvar leave? :open_mouth:

Well, he’s not been seen for a while.

2 Likes

Added Budget 2-handed ranged “The Desolator” Fire Strike Fire Purifier (Fire)(Purifier)(The_Coyote)

2 Likes

As a returning played (I last stopped at the end of the base game, perhaps around the time Crucible DLC was being talked about) I really appreciate this compilation since my main character isn’t exactly easy to gear because he is a spellbreaker.

2 Likes

Added Budget Physical Cadence-Blitz S&B Witchblade (Physical)(Witchblade)(The_Coyote)

3 Likes

Added SSF Dreeg’s Evil Eye Sentinel - leveling and beginner build (Acid)(Sentinel)(tqFan).

2 Likes

Now also sorted by masteries and classes:

You can find which class has no beginner guides.

5 Likes

Now also sorted by authors. Make new builds to climb to the top of the list! Perhaps you can beat our forum Nerdy.

9 Likes

All I can think about right now is how I’ve seen people on the Grim Dawn Reddit complain about how there’s a lack of beginner guides.

I’m like. What.

Just look at this beautiful compilation. Well done. (And I may be having a look through later, to see if I can make a beginner’s guide of my own that’s not been done)

2 Likes

Well now when someone asks I suppose they can be linked to this thread. A couple of these have certainly helped me~

1 Like

5 Likes

I think we could use some beginner leveling guides that end up with Epic sets like Myrmidon, Blind Assassin or Luminari Regalia since there’s cheap trasmutation for them if RNG fails you and one can accrue a couple mils by selling greens in main campaign.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for this tqFan. As the number of beginner builds increases, sorting by mastery is definitely a great addition. I always struggled to find how many beginner builds a certain class had. I remember a long time ago my first char was a Witchblade and I couldn’t find a decent budget build for it and neither wanted to reroll it. It would’ve been so much easier thesedays.

I am surprised Nery (Nerdy lol) has more beginner guides than the mighty Stupid_Dragon. Writing 15 build guides is a lot of work, damn.

1 Like

Something like this (obviously non tested in game, just quick and dirty grimcalc constucts, going full blue set and avoiding MIs as much as possible [only using MIs if there is no blue set item or faction gear available] - and if MIs are used, the sketches have no affixes)?

But without MIs - they seem weaker than the current beginners builds (well, being more standardized has and likely should have a cost), but also with certain green faction gear in some cases a better build is possible (e.g. my dw ranged pierce paladin vs the above Luminari Paladin sketch)

edit: added some more sketches

2 Likes

These are some very interesting builds. Maybe I’ll add sketches section somewhere in the OP.

Builds with fewer MIs are always useful for players because farming them can be really boring. I didn’t finish some beginner builds because they had so many to farm after leveling and was very relieved that the Dreeg’s Evil Eye build has all the gear in one place.

2 Likes

I currently have a lightning AAR templar (almost finished the stuff I want to play) - and there I had the same issue. There is one MI that is rather demotivating to farm (and necessary for the build) - I even dropped another item idea while levelling because of the farming issue to keep the required farming somehow “human”.

The “issue” with the above sketches is that they are from level 94 onwards - for the levelling phase faction gear would be an better alternative to avoid long farming runs. But with such faction gear snapshots, it can be that at the end of gear levels - before you get the better version, the character starts to fall apart. And even than, at least when playing veteran, reputation farming is likely necessary in some cases.

And for levelling (and even final builds), MIs with its in-build boni also provide some kind of baseline - and often enough, normal affixes work well enough (and the gear must be changed while levelling either way). But I think for this aspect has a good enough explainer in the OP. However, I also think that the unstandardized aspect of builds using quite some MIs can be discouraging for beginners.

1 Like

Luminari Paladin and Myrmidon Oppressor look really strong on paper. Maybe Luminari Purifier is stronger though? Really cool builds nonetheless. I would try a different devotion setup for Luminari, but I am too lazy to build it right now.

Why not infiltrator for blind assassin though? I think it is a sin that there is no beginner pierce infiltrator guide in this compendium (Blademaster is too popular I guess). I would definitely build an infiltrator with that set.

Stormserpent trickster looks like a really cool concept. I am not familiar with this kind of build, but there is already a build in this compendium that uses Stormserpent - the Stun Jacks purifier from teppieteptep.

1 Like

Oppressor looks for me to be the most promising and fun build, not sure if the Paladin is better than a budget pierce DW gunner. For blind assassin - I wanted to make an auto-attacker, therefore the second mastery should have an attack skill (which excluded Inquisitor), which is a bit sad as the skill cooldown reduction from the set is somehow wasted than.

1 Like

Added Beginner’s Albrecht’s Aether Ray Spellbinder (Aether)(Spellbinder)(Nery)

3 Likes