Belgothian' vision to damage reduction

Redeemer is honestly just an awkward weapon. It has a phys-focused item mod and flat phys on it, while at the same time having 30 % armor piercing, so if you’re trying to actually go down the phys route, you’re losing damage to the piercing conversion and can’t do anything about it. But then it’s also sucky for pierce because while it does have armor piercing, it doesn’t have enough of it for comfortable conversion to 100 % armor piercing, and the flat physical damage on it and on the item mod is then wasted. And it’s bad for dual-typing (phys + pierce) cause phys damage specifically just isn’t good for dual-typing because of the way armor works. If you’re gonna be doing phys damage, you want to go all out. If you half-ass it, a good % of your damage gets eaten by armor.

If you don’t feel like farming your life away for a Derma Slicer (I know I didn’t) just slap on a M. Reaver’s Claw or second Belgo, take Belgo’s Carnage relic and War Cry and you’re set. No affix farming, mostly reliable 25 % DR on demand. Works for me. And you free up the ring slots for a Belgo Ring and a Bladetwister for % RR if you want.

2 Likes

So quick update for ya guys if interested: went with tyrant route

I could go with war cry too, doesn’t sound too shabby or bad at all but skill points for me feel too scarce even then with an in-built attacker.

I’m sad that my redeemer idea sucks butt but oh well case closed for now, got ravagers health to like 5% too without a few problems except mini-heart attacks and died but still a great feat without any additional buff potions. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: btw I appreciate the input you guys gave me, helped a lot.

1 Like

You should always play a Pierce dw melee build with a Tyrant’s prefix, second best option is like miles behind that.

2 Likes

things i’ve tried
War Cry
movement rune
Judicator
Oleron
uh. i forgot
Tyrant prefix

Tyrant is obviously superior, but it’s also the peak hardest way to get DR legit
War Cry i actually hate, but mostly because i just hate how it pulls an entire screen in SR
Judictor, just sacrifices way better rings, not a fan
Movement run gets sorta clunky, doesn’t have as bad uptime as war cry tho overall
Oleron is single target, but probably way easier to weave in and the least cumbersome, except for the fact it ofc takes a better component/you lose lifesteal
Once again, a greate case could be made for lowering the war cry cooldown or increase the uptime of its DR
i still don’t understand how Gandar gets buffed, when its in everyway better than war cry, and costs the same skill points,
and War Cry the requires additional investment to make its RR active,
and the RR wouldn’t have to have 100% uptime without investments by buffing DR uptime. Say if DR got increased to 7-8secs, while cooldown stays the same at 7.5, and break morale RR has 5sec duration, then you still need Warborn helm as usual for the RR to be used as usual

anyways, TLDR; no good ways for belgo to get DR, ok ways, or grindy ways

doesn’t btw, i’ve got a redeemer belgo, in fact it’s my first Belgo BM, it’s fine, killed everything on it
it’s just not as "minmax"optimal as other setups is all

1 Like

Now that I understand, and of course, I kept in mind that I could use them but they are universal and works pretty much everywhere. The issue becomes clear why even put other pierce rings at that point in game if all we gonna use is those rings? Don’t get me wrong I see they doing fine but for variety reasons, I am kinda insulted. :melting_face:

Yea, I was definitely also thinking of a solution from this, although the problem is if u want 100% up-time u have to use it almost always making slaughtering un-easy. It’s not a bad solution that arivus gave but not a proper fix for me or what I was going for.

We could argue, 3 other guys already told me it lacks what others have better. Perhaps you are the first one and only who agrees at first on me with the primary vision I had. It has +1nightblade and some belgo mods and I did survive with “that” setup “decently” but felt something was missing and tyrant for reals might have made the slaughtering way easier.

It truly is weird how war cry is odd in this scenario, unlike Horn of Gandar. I use gandar on my infiltrator blade trap build and it’s alright no further thinking was needed there when I built it, had DR sources from alkamos rings, gandar, gun, and maybe even something else. A lot as u can tell unlike u can do with pierce.

Redeemer is good for fast/no farm and budget setup, the dmg drop from AP isn’t that big, again it’s a minmax thing, so for peak max potential you want something else, otherwise its fine, it’s been used before by others before/for a long time

Crittrain had a setup with it too
Banana used it in his levelling guide/budget BM
etc etc

my old girl from AoM days, Blademaster, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
you can see she doesn’t even have Zolhan since haven’t played this character since FG release/long before the patch that gave Zolhan dw hits

1 Like

You guys shouldn’t forget that War Cry means that some frames of your AA are lost on an autoattacker. And it’s especially bad when you have low casting speed (that’s why all Warborn setups should have above 160% cs ideally but something like 180% is even better).

2 Likes

my biggest issue with war cry is it pulling an entire map and 3 nemesis from offscreen so you get 5000 enemies bumrushing you and gibbing you through aether clusters
losing couple frames/melee attacks on the cast is the least of my worries :sweat_smile:

1 Like

nono, he is on to something here :laughing:

Yea, that’s what worried me a bit. I want that unstoppable slaughter. The thing with budget building is all fine, however, I am leaning toward that min-max territory here. It’s more of a question if builds are more reliable to fight with or not.

Tyrant of Alacrity/Spines Derp Slicer is your answer then, unfortunately, there is no other way. Judicators are an inferior option (viable but still worse) as ring slots give good flat and vital wps ranks (plus one belgo sigil ring is just always nice to have no matter what) and 12% dr they give is quite a bit worse than 16% that max roll of Tyrant can give. Plus little extra adtch mod to whirling (and some flat to it so it doesn’t hit like a noodle).

1 Like

Coming to a Tyrant’s slicer… or even an of the Abyss for DR sake… how much time did you guys need to get one? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

2 days, 1 for rage quit… the other for glory. That’s with grim internals ofc. Judging by now that you guys can’t do it with GI anymore (unless playing the previous patch) I would say around a week for a sane human bean.

Hope to god I never have to do that again. Na-haha. :saluting_face:

1 Like

It took me forever. Like I spent hours and hours farming but never got a tyrant’s prefix. I eventually rage quit and later on in SR I found one.

2 Likes

takes a looong time, legit seems more rare than other “mismatching” dmg prefixes like fire or acid on pierce weap :sweat_smile:
wouldn’t even be surprised if in my youth i’d tossed a tyrant slicer aside in the AoM past simply because it wasn’t pierce prefix/tyrant hadn’t been highlighted at all before as the one you wanted vs pierce build = pierce dmg = Heart Piercing or SInister :confounded:

2 Likes

That could have been here the exact possibility as well, I started to care waaaay to late for Tyrants prefix :joy: oh well one day or another… thanks for sharing your tyrants dermapteran slicer story, guys!

2 Likes

I didn’t get GDIA until about a year after playing my first character, a Belgo Blademaster, and was back before the weighted affix drops and all the posted builds were purples only. Been hunting the Tyrant’s slicer off and on since the affix change and it haunts my dreams to know that I probably missed one.

I’m also convinced that when (if) I do get one, it’ll be the level 84 version.

2 Likes

ye :pensive:
ngl, this is really an annoying “feature” in terms of endgame grind/finalizing and maxing out a build
and i know it’s possible to rule them out by making database changes, so understand even less why it’s a thing - tho i’m unsure if it has any wider negative/unintended impacts when making that change

1 Like

Perhaps an idea for a new topic, share your tyrant’s dermapteran slicer story :joy:

God forbid the horrors now farming Kaisan’s amus and Anasteria’s pants stories might come on par with Tyran’s derp slicers since GI is gone (I play mp so don’t want risk with unstableness of it). :ghost:

kaisan and ana farm without gi is totally ok compared to Tyrant prefix farming :sweat_smile:

1 Like