Best damage types? Worst?

So i want to get back into thia game… I played YEARS ago and i know that every now and then damage types get buffed /nerfed…

My question is, what are the top 3-5 damage types? I want to play this game again!

1 Like

Specifically, this reply:

Basically, Physical is king right now.
Runner ups are Vitality and retal.

I was under the impression that Vitality was always the “worst” damage type because more monsters have more resistance to it than any other type?

Well, yeah in a vacuum it would be the case.

But vitality usually comes with life leech, (and thus, are very tanky) has great gear support and lots of different sources of RR. It’s really easy to make a vitality build with 2 class RR, and if you play shaman, you don’t even need to because devouring swarm is nearly twice as powerful as other sources.

3 of the 4 most powerful masteries (according to this list) support vitality damage and have a source of RR for it… 2 of which are completely passive.

All in all, yeah monsters have more resistance to vitality, but it’s to offset the fact that vitality is inherently stronger in other aspects.

1 Like

Not necesarrily. It strongly depends on the build mechanics. If the build deal damage in many small potions (like physical retal DE), then it kinda sucks due to being mitigated by enemy armor.

And overall, the build itself is more important than the damage type. Some builds just suck, even though they deal physical or vitality damage, or retal.

definitely qualifies to be referred to as king when it’s dominating this much, despite repeated nerfs even

1 Like

It feels like phys is in a good place now. It doesn’t break any records, other dmg types are generally faster, it’s pretty hard to correctly build a phys char and it often requires strong specific gear and affixes.

Top20 might be dominated by phys but imaginary Top200 would never be. Other dmg types have more variety of competitive builds and more variety in gameplay.

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity, which damage types would be the opposite of physical here ?

The faster ones, easier to build and not too affix dependent?

All individual elements have legendaries and sets that open a possibility for a fast but not very tanky build. Ultos, Veilkeeper, Trozan, Korba, Deathmarked, Nex and Ortus, Mageslayer, Rimetongue, Light’s Defender, Justicar, Iskandra, Morgo, Chillwhisper this can go for a while. A lot of elemental sets and even some elemental legendaries can net a very fast farmer for 65-66 SR sweetspot that physical would dream of getting with low cost gear.

1 Like

@banana_peel hijacking this thread to say the most fun build I played in this game was your Shadow Strike Infiltrator a long time ago, the one with double Loxemeres’ swords.

Do you know if there is an up-to-date similar build capable of tackling endgame?

Usually my problem with the Inquisitor class is the “must-have” Seal which I hate.
Your build didn’t require the Seal, and it didn’t suit it anyway because we’re teleporting all the time.

Also, I could never get the Alkamos rings, and now that the drop rate was increased, I could give it another try.

1 Like

It more depends on skill, rather than “element”. Because physical AAR, Primal Strike or EoR arent much worse than their “magic” counterparts. On other hand, Callidor’s Tempest is crap regardless of element.
And i wouldnt call a full legendary set a “low-cost” gear. It isnt that easy to obtain a full set you want without having a pretty powerful char to farm crucible or SR.
For spells with elemental damage, you dont even need sets, just a loads of gear with “of insight” affix is enough to blow your DPS and energy sustain through the roof.

Phys Eor is the best Eor in the game, phys AAR is better than every other AAR with Aether being a close second ( potentially equal).

I believe vitality EoR is better, though a physical one isnt a pushover either, obviously.
And it just proves my point. Strong skills make strong builds regardless of element (within sane limits, obviously). And weak skills make relatively weak builds regardless of element, unless there is a blatantly overpowered set that supports said skill. Like Dreeg’s Evil Eye and Rotgheist set, that adds +100% weapon damage and +3 meter radius (along with solid damage and LL) to a ranged spammable spell.