Blackscreen On Game Launch

Hello,
so I purchased GD in Steam Winter Sale, tried running it and yeah - I looked through internet for this issue and so far no solution has worked:

• adding AV exception for the game folders
  • starting game from steam (all 3 options)
  • reinstalling a game,
  • reinstalling steam
  • reinstalling C redist, DirectX. …
  • reinstalling GPU drivers
  • older GPU drivers (all aviable to download)
  • adding uPnPEnable = false to options.txt
  • chaging resolution in options.txt
  • running repair.exe
  • running gd.exe as admin and in compatibility mode for W7
  • underclocking a GPU
  • deleting intro.ogg file from installation
  • turning off Steam cloud sync
  • turning off Steam overlay for GD
  • shutting off OneDrive

My PC is brand new:
i5-12400f
RX 6700 XT 12GB OC
Windows 11

So far I accumulated “play time” of 60 minutes purely composed of black screens… does anybody have any suggestion, please? Thank you very much.

DxDiag.txt (62.1 KB)

Are your video card drivers up to date? Also possibly try installing an older driver version. Does Win11 have compatibility mode still? Try also a different resolution and see if that helps at all.

Alternatively, install Win10 or Linux. I’ve been running GD on Linux for years now without problems, also just recently upgraded to a 6700 XT and it’s working nicely.

It appears you have been rather thorough in your troubleshooting and you have tried a number of initial steps already I would normally advise in this situation.

The only thing I can think to try at the moment that might do anything would be to exit Microsoft OneDrive if it is running down in your system tray. It’s a stretch, admittedly, as most issues with OneDrive running don’t tend to cause a persistent blackscreen.

Give it a go tho (if it is active) and in the meantime I’ll mull it over some more and if anything else comes to mind I’ll post again.

I thank you both of you for your advices - I tried multiple versions for GPU drivers from latest to version from July and so far, no luck and yes, Win11 does have compatibility mode (I tried it).

Also I had OneDrive disabled all the time.

You could try a different options.txt file and see if that produces anything beneficial. I’ll attach mine here.

options.txt (3.0 KB)

You might want to generate a dxdiag txt file and attach it to a post. There could be clues in it that may help. Instructions here:

I would also suggest opening Task Manager and review your running background tasks/applications and close down any apps you deem non-vital to the system. Tho rare, it is not unheard of for some 3rd party applications to cause problems with some games on occasion.

Also, a question that wasn’t readily apparent in your description… is this black screen occurring immediately on game launch or is it occurring when you try to load a character into the game? I was just assuming that you meant on game launch.

I attached dxdiag file to original post

I tried your options.txt - no luck

What 3rd party apps do you mean? I have a fresh system and only added apps are steam and AMD drivers basically.

And yes, I meant game launch, I will clarify original post.

i know it sounds absurd, but had similar issues with Windows 11, and i simply downgraded it with ease to Windows 10, and all issues were gone… xD

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downgrade-from-windows-11-to-windows-10/84a2416d-ccfb-4d87-9eee-e1056591e91f

Pretty much anything, honestly, that isn’t required by the system. Since yours is a clean slate then there probably isn’t too much extra fluff.

I did look at your dxdiag and there were listed a number of apphang errors for GD at the bottom of it. You could try rebooting your computer into safe mode w/ networking enabled and then try launching the game. If it works there, then chances are high something running on your system is causing the problem… if not, well, then we go back to the drawing board.

Instructions for Safe Mode can be found in this article at the 4th item discussed…

Might be worth a shot.

I would note, in counter to some of the replies above, I’ve been running GD (on and off) on Win11 since the very first iterations of it hit the net. It has never failed to run for me yet.

Ok, So I tried rolling back to Win10 and we have a launch people :smiley: Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m curious but was your Win11 installation a direct upgrade from 10? Way back when Win10 first hit I did a system upgrade from 8.1 to 10 and… there were a number of issues as a result. Reading up on it way back then I found out that others also had numerous problems with such an upgrade and ever since I always just install my OS’s direct from a thumbdrive (and wipe the hard drive fresh).

Yes, it was a direct upgrade from Win10

1 Like

Well, if you ever give 11 another go, my advice would be to use the media creation tool on M$ website and make a bootable thumbdrive and install the OS completely fresh. Just something to consider. In my experience upgrades tend to carry over unexpected problems.

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

3 Likes

used it to make my win 10 stick xD
cheers

1 Like

Glad your issue was resolved!

And, goes to prove what so many of us have known for years: DO NOT upgrade from one OS to the next.

• Always do a fresh/clean install :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.