Bow mod??

hi,
grim dawn is one of my best favorit games i love him to much but there just one thing miss in this game and it is a BOW i like making builds with bow its very cool and nice so if some one can make bow mod plz and thx.

Not likely to happen as it would need new animations. Crossbows are the closest you’ll get.

so u mean there is no way to make bow mod?

not impossible, just highly unlikely / a lot of effort.

You will need to create all the items and a new set of animations. So I’d say the probability of that happening is pretty close to 0.

ah damn it :frowning: : (: (: (: (:frowning:

It would be a real labour of love for a modder to undertake. Not saying someone won’t maybe some day, but I wouldn’t hold out a lot of hope.

Unlikely, we still haven’t found anyone who has been able to really import animations or meshes that weren’t already supported afaik… It’s already been like 2 years?.. maybe one day…

Is that because the bow animations were stripped out of the game engine somewhere along the way? Because they must have been there originally since TQ had bows.

The Grim Quest mod has at least one bow and bow animations in it.

Using them in your own mod is definitely in the advance modding category though.

Well yes, naturally all TQ content is stripped from the game, but as you’ve noticed with Grim Quest, it’s partially still supported and just requires some hex editing to get the models to work again. Once the models are in, everything else works, for the most part. That said… the “bone” structures of TQ players and GD players are different, so using TQ animations for a GD character will not work. Maybe there’s a way to convert it so it animates different bones, I have no clue, sounds like more work than it’s worth though.

As I said above, the player character cannot use the bow animations. Creatures that are imported from TQ like the nymph or the spectral soldier (summoned from echoes of the hunt, hunting mastery) are the only ones that can use these animations.

EDIT:

Also I want to add to this; even if we somehow were able to add animations, as modders we can’t add a new weapon class. So to get a bow to work, we’d have only a 2 options.

A) Overwrite the existing 2h ranged weapon class, which effectively breaks all rifles and crossbows. Not a good option unless you REALLY want to remove guns.

B) Use a different weapon class template, staff type should work fine. Only problem with this is if you have a mod that already uses staves, like Grim Quest.

why could bows not also be 2h ranged weapons and use a different animation set ? Are all crossbows and rifles using the same animation set ?

Certain similar weapons use the same anim set, 2h ranged in this case, share the same animation set. Yes, rifles+crossbows are the same set. Afaik it is fairly easy for devs to add a new animation set (or so Zantai said on reddit), but for us as modders that’s another story.