Bug/inefficiency - game pauses

300+ villagers, my “town” is spread out all over on a large map. I find intermittent lag. It’s annoyingly bad. The problem started getting noticeable at around 150 villagers. But I found a correlation to the lag/pauses.

Every time a structure is “completed” there is a serious pause in game play while that structure is rendered. It also happens when taking down structures, though I notice it most on walls. On large towns you can have huge numbers of workers building objects, especially when putting up new walls, the game may freeze, be loose for a few seconds, then freeze again, several times while a fence is building.

The easiest way to reproduce this would be to fire up a large map full of npcs (assuming you keep such a thing for testing), and then select and tear down a large section of fence.

PC specs: i9-9900k, RTX 2080 founder addition, 32G of ram.

I’m not sure what is happening in the code but it seems to me there should be a way to break that work off of the UI thread leaving behind only the work necessary to display the new object.

Structures completing, UI windows opening, Desirability overlay activating, these are some of the game events that are currently not fully optimized and can cause hitches like you describe.

This is going to be part of our ongoing optimization efforts.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.