Chances. What´s their math?

Hey there,

I understand, that stuff like “reduced bla resistance”, that does NOT come as a proc or debuff, gets reduced by weapon damage.
Example: I attack with a 50% weapon dmg skill, and my last node on VIPER only does half the reduction.
Good.

But how about chances?
KYMON’S WILL (augment) for example. “15% chance of 10% reduced.”
When I apply this via a 50% wpn dmg skill, what will happen?

TY!

It may sound stupid, but think of Viper as 100% chance.

1 Like

Same mechanic then?
Its not a given in GD.
Think of that story some time ago when we were taught that procs stack, and debuffs dont (or similar). Just want to rule out that this topic here has not the same kind of hell-how-should-anyone-know-this.

It’s anyone’s guess how it works under the hood, then =) I think the chance stands as it is, magnitude gets reduced according to %WD. It would make sense, from consistency standpoint, anyway.

I wish people were just as eager to test in-game as to ask questions :angry:

• Ultimate Dummy Res: 13%

• Listed Celestial Presence Damage: 757

• Celestial Presence Damage on 25% res debuff: 848

• Celestial Presence Damage on 50% res debuff (+CoF): 1038

• some sample check if math agrees:
    848 / (100% - 13 + 25%) * (100% - 13% + 50%) ~ 1037.28
    close enough to 1038 (it’s also just 757 * 1.37)

• no devos, no gear, no flat dot damage on the character

• how those Celestial Damages changed after applying Potent Hexxer’s Kiss debuff by 30% Weapon damage Lightning Nova:

• 1038 -> 1050
    • 848 -> 852

Let’s only tackle the first because the difference is greater (would be better if it was bigger though).
Now %Reduced effect, let’s call it X, we have can calculate for example from the following formula:

(1 + 37% * (1+X)) * 757 = 1050

We get X ~ 0.0461

Hexxer has 15% so 0.0461 / 0.15 ~ 0.307 ~ 30% which is precisely Empowered Lightning Nova Weapon damage.

An attempt at discovering new Mechanics Betrayal: FAILED

Video proof (btw I don’t always hit Dummy due to low OA):

2 Likes

But isn’t %RR like that one on Viper is useless when going below 0%? Dummy has 13% fire res, you get it debuffed to -37%. So Hexxer’s shouldn’t do anything?

@klasperstanze If you wonder if %chance get reduced, then the answer is NO
because out of 27 samples (Nova hits) I got 11 successful RR’s so it’s close enough (40%) to listed 30%.

2nd Attempt at discovering new Mechanics Betrayal: FAILED

Scuffed Screenshot Proof:

@XandeRoot Nope, it works on negative resistances too, like in the formula above.
This is the reason why Signum function is used.

• if negative it’s multiplied by i.e. 1 + Viper = 1.2 so that’s negative number increases in absolute value and we gain not lose
  • if positive it’s multiplied by i.e. 1 - Viper = 0.8 so that’s positive resistance is decreased and we gain and not lose

Don’t be confused that I have + there instead of minus because I’m already calculating effective multiplier not final resistance which uses -Final Resistance so sign changes.

3 Likes

Huh, color me impressed. It’s an absolute value… okay then. So that means it’s only useless if target’s resistance after all other RR sources are applied is exactly 0%? And, of course, it will have diminishing returns if target’s resistance is closer to 0 from both negative and positive sides.

[edit] @XandeRoot not all other, just after -%X Resistance, not after all flat RR’s because X Reduced Target’s Resistances (Elemental Storm) is applied last (3rd) and Viper is applied in the middle (2nd), after -X% which go first.

Viper’s effect will be pretty small because for tougher monster u usually are close to 0.
You can check out the chart I made in the thread below and its analysis:

I concluded there that if Viper works, it will be rather relative 5% damage boost but often just 0% boost. Sometimes maybe 10% relative boost (rather on trash and with very good RR or if boss isn’t resistant to your damage type at all?). Anyway much weaker than other RR’s. But I don’t remember it very well. On a case by case basis in can be checked in my calculator that can compare two sets of resistance debuffs.

@XandeRoot

In the sample screenshot above getting Viper gives us 2.8% relative damage gain which is less than 100% Damage in most case.

2 Likes

Hey TQ, thx for the work and the proof!
So WD reduces values, not chances.
I’m never too sure about the formulae, that’s why I indeed prefer asking first, in hope of the info already being out there.

That side note is interesting to me. Haven’t stumbled across that thread you linked yet. So the info of %reduced being an Absolute reduction, rendering it useless via its position in the formula - is new to me. And disappointing ofc.

1 Like

You reminded me of adding it to

Top 9 Grim Dawn Mechanics Betrayals
  1. Skills having slower attack / cast speed when bound to LMB / RMB

2. Damage reduction applying to all debuffs

3. Elemental and single element conversions not being additive

4. Armor working against small flat physical damage sources separately

5. Conversions working differently depending on their distribution in inventory in some cases
    5. Blooms droprate increase not working till the next patch
    6. Random high elemental resistances on enemies causing them to be unkillable

6. Healing devotion procs without weapon damage not working if bound to pseudo pets

7. Brimstone, Proliferation etc. not converted by skill modifiers

8. Crab, Turtle and other shields working before Inquisitor Seal / Ascension

9. Skill modifiers to Cadence only affect Cadence hit. Applies to conversion, flat damage and stuff

10. % Reduced Target’s Resistances having a much smaller effect than expected

Maybe not useless but not mandatory and for example this Hexxer Kiss augments have smaller %Damage so it’s probably better to get augments with more damage, better defensive stats and you can consider not having Viper in devotion I suppose if you can make a better one without it.

2 Likes

Yes. Viper and part of ultos proc is not important. Plus Eternal Band is a bit less useful. Use it sometimes with Eor.

Chances, what’s their math? Me, no clue. @tqFan allow me to introduce myself! :sunglasses:

But yeah, scaling with WD makes sense, that will be my first guess for both damage reduction and RR augments.

2 Likes