Change "%Chance On Enemy Death" Procs to "%Chance On Attack" for Pet Items?

I am talking about the Item Procs on stuff like Dracarris. On a Pet build you are seldom going to get kills if your pets are doing their job properly. And since most of the endgame content revolves around Bosses rather than Trash Mobs, even the once in a blue moon procs are worthless in practice. So why not change it to “On attack” like the rest of the stuff?

Pet/Player Hybrid is not going to work, or atleast no one in the community has figured out how to. Unless someone has made an Overpowered Hybrid and are keeping it a Secret, which is extremely unlikely. So not sure why the devs insist on encouraging this while not providing enough to make it Viable.

One could argue that not everything need to revolve around endgame or be equally strong. But then that also invalidates most of the balancing done to buffing/nerfing things. So if there is a good reason for why these kinds of procs still exist, I am extremely interested to hear it.

Anyway, rant over. You can post your opinions or just vote on this handy little poll here:

• Yes, change the procs. Anything that requires Player to get the kill on Pet builds are bad.
  • Yes, change the procs, but for all items. “On Death” Procs are bad.
  • No, do not change them and I will show you they are fine by posting a viable build here.

0 voters

1 Like

Good intent but what if I’m lazy?

I mean, we have had plenty of Pet build makers over the years in this community. The last working one was Dashiv’s and that was many patches ago.

I know that the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but currently I don’t see any way to accept the claim that they make for a viable playstyle without proof.

1 Like

Why just pet items? For all items…

Because I don’t really know much about non pet builds and whether they make use of the “On Death” procs or if it is equally hated :stuck_out_tongue:

I already voiced my hate against it on the Judicator set rings.

Poll edited :sunglasses:

1 Like

No. /10 char

Any reasoning behind it though? Other than simply keeping it for the sake of having a different mechanic that no one can use effectively?

Or to put it in a different way, anything that can be done to convince you to change that “No” into an “Yes”?

Just let it go, buddy. This is just sad.

Is my Dracarris build not viable enough for you? I already mentioned in that thread that I was surprised that I was able to proc it, even if it was sporadic.

The larger problem for these types of builds is that the synergy is off elsewhere. Pyromancer is not really a viable pet option anymore because the class doesn’t provide pet resists and the items that give Flame Touched bonuses also don’t give pet resistances either (like the Magi rings that convert pet damage to Fire). The offensive power is fine, but we have no way to keep the pets alive.

I have already listed the reasons why Chaos Reap Spirit with the Black Scourge weapon isn’t viable; if there were more items that gave bonuses to Reap Spirit while giving the player Chaos bonuses, then it could turn out to be a good build. I hope something is in the works to make Chaos Reap Spirit viable.

Well… this is the feedback section. I have given my feedback. But yeah, if Z won’t change his mind, there is nothing to be done.

Depends. Is the build’s power coming from Dracarris or is the build working in-spite of Dracarris?

Earlier on Discord, I tried to make a Chaos Familiar build for fun: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2jowxrV

It did manage SR 90.

But Dracarris proc’ed 1 time in the entirety of 4 Chunks of 90. Once and it was on a trash mob in the 2nd Chunk. Granted, DoomBolt might have got me marginally better chances of proc’ing it instead of relying on carpet’ing the ground with Vines in hopes of KS’ing from my pets.

But, I could have used literally any other weapon there and got better results.

Ice cream maybe?

I can agree that if you have to score a kill sucks for pet master, since your whole build revolves around relying on your pets for defense/offense. Even if there are strong hybrids out there, that doesn’t affect pure pet builds. Ofc it’s Z’s decision.

1 Like

Too late for that image

3 Likes

Now I could be completely wrong here but I think that is the intent of these sort of procs within themselves - they are not something you slap on any pet build and expect to get immediate results out of. Characterss are meant to be built with using/proccing them in mind rather than the other way around as is the case in TPOM’s build versus yours. I’m not necessarily arguing for or against these kinds of procs being bad here, I’m just trying to understand and make sense why Zantai implemented them and refuses to change them.

I also posted this sketch for a hybrid pets/player Ritualist caster using Diviner some time ago that I sent to you and looking back at it, Bonescavenger Deathgrips would be a perfect fit for it over Aethereach (if I could get around losing the -1s to Reap Spirit) as it should be able to score kills relatively often on trash enemies with Reap Spirit and the fully Vitality converted Spirits will provide an impressive increase to damage.

Last thing I’ll note as well, in the past I have suggested to others to use Doom Bolt to tactically steal kills as suggested before me by old, old pet users like Avatar of Dreeg because it used to have % reduced target’s health. So even with low investment on pet builds, you could manage this on occasion. However since it lost this quite sometime ago, I imagine it’s usefulness in this way will have gone down. The only spell that comes close to the same effect left now is Reap Spirit and really only when maxed.

I can attest for getting DeathGrip Procs with Reap Spirit. Have seen them while running around with Ishtar - Pet Ritualist

But my issue is with this:

That might have been the intent, but is it enough of an reason to keep it the way it is?

Zantai changed the Aether Conversion from Diviner’s Set for eg, because it was rarely used.

Procs like these are used even less. Trying to build around them only results in frustration and a subpar result. So what is the point?

For example, no one uses DeathGrip Gloves for its proc and any build that uses those gloves won’t miss it one bit if the proc was removed.

If one were to make a Fire Pet build, a good Rolled Burning-Blade will do much more than Dracarris ever will. I believe Boro tested it for his Fire Skeleton setup, IIRC. For Chaos 1h, there is always Salazar. And with the next patch, the rarity of the affixes won’t be much of an issue, or atleast shouldn’t be.

And if the player’s role in Combat must be kept, it can easily be changed to “Proc on Crit” as that would require a fair bit of OA, which Pet builds tend to ignore. The proc chance can also be lowered to make it more exotic.

1 Like

holds up icecream @Maya? hands over icecream I know you want it!

1 Like

My build used it for the skill modifiers, skill bonuses, and pet stats - it’s the only 1H weapon that gives bonuses to Hellfire for pet builds. I mentioned previously that things like Mythical Black Scourge and Bonescavenger Deathgrips would be more used if they gave skill modifiers that help contribute to the more desired function. I mentioned that giving the player %Chaos damage to Call of the Grave and giving more equipment support for Chaos Reap Spirit builds would make both items perfectly viable (fully 100% Chaos Reap Spirit and Bound Spirits? Yum yum)

I’m just hoping Pyromancer pets could be more viable, but with no resistances on Demo, I doubt that could become a reality. Covering for resistances has become a bigger challenge, especially with how necessary it is.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.