Chaos Sorcerer Build Help

So, I’m still sorta new in this whole brewing/theorycrafting thing, my most powerful character is a level 80 Witch Hunter vitality-caster-pox-thing. Loads of fun, spreads his pox, traps mobs and heals for a fuckton,very few things I can’t tank so far, but I digress.

I’ve been experimenting with a new character (currently level 50), but I’m gonna need some help to understand if this build is viable or not, and if it is, how to itemize for it, devotions ,etc.

I’ve always liked the idea of the Sorcerer combination, and I’ve seen a few builds, but they’re not exactly what I had in mind. I know the Warlock has a ton of support (including itemization) for the AAR + Tainted power combination, but I’ve always wanted to build a Sorcerer partly around it, and partly around the concept of strong retaliation (this includes Vindictive flame, even if it’s not properly “retaliation”, mechanics-wise), I also recently discovered the existance of the Blood Orb of C’thon, and I found its ability to be very interesting indeed, it seems, for all sorts of combinations for the Sorcerer (although the +skills are useless). Chaos Skyfire Grenado, anyone?

So, the desired final product would be something like Blackwater Cocktail (opener/trash clearer/DoT), followed by Thermite Mine (DoT, -Resist), and then AAR the shit out of anything left standing. I’m already doing sort of this, except with the Conflagration skill, but it’s relatively early (haven’t finished Normal yet), and it’s got me around 35k DPS, although my mana goes down FAST.

So, any thoughts? Could this be remotely viable, or just the mad ravings of a deranged newbie?

For chaos AAR warlock is the best with Black flame set. As for Sorc, you can try fire AAR with dual invoker rings with up to 36% aether to fire conversion.

You could try anythings if you can find gears and have plenty of resources to spend :slight_smile:

It is viable if talking only Fire and Chaos. In JoV’s BWC sorcerer build. You may learn from there. It is also one of the best crucible farmer which is for legendary and MIs farming.

So follow it first then you’ll learn about fire&chaos and getting gears in one move.

First of all, thanks for the answers :slight_smile:

I know Black Flame Warlock is the optimum build for AAR, and I’ve considered rolling one and abandoning the Sorcerer, if I couldn’t make it viable. However, in this case, I couldn’t figure out how to make the “retaliation” part viable. Any ideas?

I’ve looked at JoV’s BWC build, and it has a lot of good ideas. The Infernal Knight set seems awesome, it’s just that while I love BWC and plan to use it, spamming it like a machine gun wasn’t exactly the way I wanted to play.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but +% damage bonuses from gear and devotions apply after damage conversion, right? So, converting everything to Chaos would require me to itemize for +% Chaos damage, which seems “impossible” (as in, very sub-optimal) for a Sorcerer to do, as all high end Chaos gear seem to be tailored towards Occultists, from what I understand.

The %Aether to Fire conversion seems very nice, although 36% seems low enough to still force some itemization towards Aethe, and it seems easier/more efficient just to convert the whole thing via Tainted Power, and then the problem starts all over again…

Yes its why conversion in this game isn’t that great. Especially for casted skills, as you need to get deep in ultimate levels of the skills. It’s better to use conversion for melee or to convert procs.

Very few items geared towards converting casted skills damage. I still play around with conversion just wish it was better supported.

I’ve looked at JoV’s BWC build, and it has a lot of good ideas. The Infernal Knight set seems awesome, it’s just that while I love BWC and plan to use it, spamming it like a machine gun wasn’t exactly the way I wanted to play.

You can play with transmuted BWC Sorc http://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNYM34N6 =)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but +% damage bonuses from gear and devotions apply after damage conversion, right? So, converting everything to Chaos would require me to itemize for +% Chaos damage, which seems “impossible” (as in, very sub-optimal) for a Sorcerer to do, as all high end Chaos gear seem to be tailored towards Occultists, from what I understand.

Yes.