Combat Video!>1!! 4 Realz this time!

Nice looking good! Makes me wanna play so thats always a good thing. Thanks guys!!

Awesome. Nothing more one can say, to be honest.

I really liked how even regular, non-fatal strikes made the zombies recoil. It really gives your attacks weight and makes it seem like you are actually doing some damage.

I agree with most your observation, however, notice that the yell does not kill the weaker zombies. It knocks them all on the ground (you see them standing up later on). I missed this too at first. Regardless, I agree that the area knockback skill is a bit lackluster on the visual department.

Personal opinion 1: Medierra, try to use some video playing software that could play this combat video at 0.5X and 2.0X speed. I have tried that and in 0.5X, all physics motion (not looking at the game speed, just look at the speed when things such as gibs float in air or in motion)take longer time to stop and it is as cool as slow motion FPS like Max Payne. However, physics motion in 2.0X feels like each hit has more “Ohm” or GREAT momentum because object flies in a much faster motion. I myself loves slow motion very much in games but since this is an ACTION rpg, maybe the greater momentum and faster physics motion can bring out the player’s feeling of actually in ACTION. You might understand better what I am trying to express if you replay the video in 0.5x and 2.0x speed and observe the speed of physics motion. Maybe you would like to try to find a balance between faster or slower physics effect motion or give greater momentum to certain skills which are supposed to have greater ohm than others.

Personal opinion 2: Regarding the shield charge (aka blitz), i found 2 video from Youtube that shows quite cool animation of shield charge. Just think of it as reference to make blitz COOLER.

Link 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5IarKhl05M
Link 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9MBorN9wdo

I think physics motion in Link 1 is slightly faster than the current grim dawn combat video. As for Link 2 no need to play it to the end because shield charge only appears in between 0:04 to 0:06.

Personal opinion 3: I LOVE the knockdown effect…I think it brings new dimension to the game compare to some old tricks to disable enemies such as freeze, stun, sleep etc because this time THEY ARE LYING ON THE GROUND! haha! Btw I thought I saw some CORPSE EXPLOSION in the video? Also enemies on the ground seems to still take damage and knockback from AOE skill, this makes it way cooler because: Imagine a uppercut that strike everyone into the air and into the minefield which explodes, sending them further or blowing them to bits. Maybe players can use this to make AOE knockback combo.

Personal opinion 4: Is there COMBOs now? Because judging from the hero’s animation and sound at 1:19 I thought the hero use 3 skills in a row within at most 2 seconds time. Or is it one mega skill that hits 3 times?

One last question: Do the monsters block the hero now? I mean can the hero still slip away from a circle of attacker surrounding him?

Hey Crate, just want to say thanks for all the effort your putting into this, It really shows and i’ve lost count how many times I watched it :smiley: So so awesome, one of my favourite parts is when he runs up to the door and smashes his way through!

Everything I expected and more! Thanks again

I saw the main page and immediately was excited. Then i watched the video. Now I need to change clothes and clean up a mess. THIS WAS F-ING AWESOME!!! pure win. Also at about 36 seconds into the video it appears that he straight up sparta kicks a monster across the screen, is that what is happening? Its kinda hard to tell because of the fire aura on him. If that is the case please add in the sound byte from 300 where he yells “THIS IS SPARTA”. jk but that would be hilarious. All in all amazing job but my one criticism is that the aura on that fighter should be toned down a bit.

i ought to say, for a pre alpha it is pretty amazing.

the only real “complaint” i have (while it is not a complaint as this is still pre-alpha and yadi yadi yada) is that the exploding flesh seems to much like raw meat, when you just made an explosion of blood by slashing a zombie down

Other than that, beautiful job.

Cheers and keep up the good work!

I agree with most your observation, however, notice that the yell does not kill the weaker zombies. It knocks them all on the ground (you see them standing up later on). I missed this too at first. Regardless, I agree that the area knockback skill is a bit lackluster on the visual department.

Wow, I didn’t notice that at all, yerkyerk. Not until ya pointed it out. Now I get what everyone was talking about knockback vs knockdown. There’s so much in the video, its hard to keep it all straight. Good call.

Ive got to say completely amazing. Agree that the physics seem a bit slow but thats only after reading other posts about it. Watched the video first and it was instant Jaw-Drop! AND ITS ONLY PRE-ALPHA! :rolleyes:

-Combat seem very fluid.
-Textures and area effects as well as the destructible entities was amazing.
-I really liked how the dead zombies faded to the background with their ragdolls before actually fade/disappearing from the game. It made it look like they became part of the environment right before fading out.

I honestly cant wait to get my hands anywhere on this game, alpha, beta, retail… im drooling all over it. Pre-Ordered the Legendary version right when i first heard about it… feels like a year since then. lol.

Comments on youtube and likes/dislikes seem to indicate this video has been a hit. Grats Crate team!

:frowning: now I need some new pants

Nice video. Just wanted to leave some feedback in the hope that it will be constructively useful.

Regarding the soundtrack, I am expecting this won’t be used as a regular track for our play-through. What I mean by that is while it does a great job in showcasing your first combat video, it might become repetitive and lose its impact quickly if used to slay normal monsters. Boss fights with this music would totally rock though or maybe specific, timed quests.

As to the actual gameplay I felt some skills lacked intensity in both visual and sound effects. The ‘rushing’ skill at the beginning seemed weak compared to the normal attack. There was also the AOE-shouting one (sorry I don’t know the names) which kind of reinforces the idea that more work needs to be put in that particular department.

I know this might not go down very well now…but Diablo 3 really conveys the power of the barbarian skills in an excellent manner and it could be useful to use these as some sort of reference.

Keep up the great work.:smiley:
Definitely keeping an eye out for this one.

PS- Sorry if I repeated points that may have already been mentioned but I only read the first few pages of the thread. See you all around.

I guess it’s very OK to reply what is in your mind instead of looking what has been written and just keeping silent because the same things have been said earlier. It will let them know what are the things they definitely need to improve, if many people are criticizing the same things.

As for the music part, I don’t think anyone has said that one before… I personally think it fits like a glove. Did you listen the track-samples Crate have posted as well? I personally think they are perfect music for backgrounds, it’s “hard” to listen to them actively but they definitely has that atmospheric feel in them that is awesome for passive listening. I also guess they will be quite long ones so they won’t get too repetitive soon enough, and there’s “playlists” for different areas so you aren’t hearing the same track all the time repeating.

As for the skills, yeah, some of them lack the feeling of power in comparison to some of them. I’d personally love to see that sliding rush, beefed up sound effect for AOE-knockdown and just something, anything done to the “pressure wave hips” -skill.

As I watch it once again, it still definitely looks awesome nonetheless. But criticism is powerful and useful thing, if told and received properly.

Took your advice and listened to the other tracks (did not previously notice them).
Oh man, these are brilliant!

Loved them all, especially Devil’s crossings and No Man’s Land. They were sublime. I like them so much because like you have said, tracks that are good but are hard to listen to (that is, they are not distracting) really complements a game.

Still, I maintain my original point. The ‘Keep Moving’ track used for the combat video trailer has a rather high tempo and conveys a sense of urgency. I think using this music when I am ‘one-shoting’ everything in my path or wrecking havoc on whole mobs of monsters is less effective say when used while having to clear a zone in X amount of time; or when taking on a boss/miniboss.
That is just my opinion of course based on my appreciation of the music but I think it is vital to pick the right moments and places to use such brilliant music to their full effect.
Also a couple of other tracks had that 300 (the movie) soundtrack quality about them, which I found really cool but due to them having a higher tempo would be more ‘relevant’ for specific areas or tasks you have to do in-game.

I am expecting something similar ( i said similar not same!:p) to that to pop up among the soundtracks sooner or later since it would really fit in the Grim Dawn world I feel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9uRc7t1gGM

Haha wow I am impressed, The last time i watched the viedo online it had…279 views…i think…and now it has jumped…to 41000!!! good god, that is impressive!

Looks good, love the gore.

This looks really good!! I can’t wait!! :slight_smile:

The game is looking great so far, keep up the good work!

I am really looking forward playing this game. It would be great if we could see the interface as well as the skill trees in a future video. Just to have an idea of what it would look like.

I am dying to see this game succeed. Thank you for sharing the video!