Community Localizations (v1.0.0.6)

Create a Localization

Grim Dawn reads community localizations from the “/localization” subdirectory of the location the game is installed. This is usually similar to “Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Grim Dawn”. The game reads directly from a .zip file containing your localization files, which can be created using any standard .zip utility.

A community localization consists of a .zip file containing the localization texts along with a “language.def” file which tells the game the name of the localization as well as the font set to use.

example language.def:

language=French
fonts=FR
author=John Smith

The name given in the language field is what shows up in in game options. Community localizations appear as “community_French” for example in the language selection box in game options.

Currently the following font sets are available:

“CS” - Czech
“DE” - German
“EL” - Greek
“ES” - Spanish
“FR” - French
“HU” - Hungarian
“IT” - Italian
“KO” - Korean
“NL” - Dutch
“PL” - Polish
“RU” - Russian
“ZH” - Chinese
“SK” - Slovak
“PT” - Portuguese
“BG” - Bulgarian
“JA” - Japanese
“VI” - Vietnamese
“TH” - Thai

If you are working on a localization and require a font set for a different language, please PM me the request along with a link to the unicode alphabet for your desired language.

Item Localization

Gender Support

If you want to make use of gender support, you need to edit tagItemNameOrder (it’s the first tag in “tags_items.txt”) to use ‘a’ instead of ‘s’ for the genderized parameters, and specify the index of the parameter which contains the item gender to use for the item.

for example (genderized prefix/quality/style/suffix, with gender chosen by name)

tagItemNameOrder={%_3a0}{%_3a1}{%_3a2}{%_s3}{%_3a4}

Gender codes would then be given to each tag representing an item name. The code present in the name is then used to pick from the genders supplied in other tags.

for example, a masculine singular object would be defined as follows:

tagSword=[ms]Sword

and a genderized suffix would be defined:

tagSuffixPower=[ms]Power[fs]etc[ns]etc

Recognized gender codes are:

[ms] Masculine Singular
[fs] Feminine Singular
[ns] Neuter Singular
[mp] Masculine Plural
[fp] Feminine Plural
[np] Neuter Plural

Reorder All Item Names

If you want to change the order in which item names are built for all items (from prefix/quality/style/name/suffix to some other order), you can change the parameter indexes around in tagItemNameOrder.

for example, name/quality/style/prefix/suffix (all items)

tagItemNameOrder={%_s3}{%_s1}{%_s2}{%_s0}{%_s4}

Recapitalize Item Names

If you want to recapitalize the item name string after it is created you can prepend ‘$’ to tagItemNameOrder. The string will be changed so that only the first letter is capitalized.

tagItemNameOrder=${%_s0}{%_s1}{%_s2}{%_s3}{%_s4}

“Godly Plate of the Whale” would become “Godly plate of the whale”.

If you want to mark a specific tag to prevent recapitalization you can prepend ‘$’ to the tag.

tagSuffixWhale=$the Whale

The item name would then become “Godly plate of the Whale”.

Individual Item Tag Reordering

If you require it, you can reorder only some tags, for example to move a certain prefix to the end of the item name, you can prepend reordering info to the tags.

The code is |X where X is from 1 to 9 indicating the new location relative to the locations of other tags.

tagPrefixToBecomeSuffix=|1Warrior's

Tags without reordering info set are considered to have ‘|0’. The tags making up the item name are then sorted in order of their indexes and the item name is created.

In this case, Warrior’s would be moved to the end of the string since all other tags aren’t reordered.

Conversation Localization

Gender of Target

You can change npc speech in conversations based on the gender of the target the npc is talking to (usually the player) using gender tags.

Hello [[ms]sir[fs]madam], how are you today?

Support for Scriptio Continua

If your language uses scriptio continua and you are encountering text wrapping issues in conversations, add the line “wordmode=false” to your language.def file.

Questions?

If you have game related issues with your translation you can post in this thread for help.

Thanks to the community localizers for their effort!

Attachment: v1006_english.zip

Files have been posted for v1.0.0.6

Thanks for timely updates.

Thank you for the early upload.
Everything is ready. Bring it on! :smiley:

Hello Rhis!

Is it possible to add custom Russian font to the game? I contacted you about it earlier.
The font: https://yadi.sk/d/XIew5KNIvvJP7

Hello Rhis!

Very nice that we get the texts before the patch!

Do you have a direct link to the font? I’ll need to check out the license on it.

I can assure you, that commercial fonts were not used.

The only things that were changed:
• Added cyrillic symbols to Vinque font (free license)
• BriosoPro font replaced by cyrillic version of Bridgnorth font (free license)

Hi, Rhis. I’m one of the autors of the modification that add Cyrillic fonts.
Its true above: we use localised Vinque (originally used in game) and Brignorth (http://www.freefontspro.com/486/bridgnorth.ttf - non rus link for example). Also replace Sava Pro by Linux Biolinum Capitals Bold (Biolinum originally used too) on worldmap.
If you need, i can share my mod source, cause I change some font styles.

For example Cinematic.fnt:
Vinque 45 antialiased, 32 antialiased bold - for floating text
Linux Libertine 25 cleartype outline - for subtitle & loadscreen tips.
etc.

Okay, that sounds fine. We will add these fonts in the next patch.

OK. There mod source, include cyrillics Vinque & Bridgnorth: https://yadi.sk/d/n7P3LKptvDBof
Could you make subtitles and tips antialiased outline default for а better view?

One more question. If we find another new font, will you replace it again?

Please add them to Bulgarian too and basically all cyrillic languages :slight_smile:
edit: don’t :smiley: at least for now I think they are not readable enough

You can test fonts with bulgarian translation right now.
Download mod here: https://yadi.sk/d/MFqg9lnMvZTL9
or compile source above.
Replace <gamefolder>/resources/fonts.arc by modified file
Replace line in language.def: fonts=BG to fonts=RU
If it’s ok, i can repack mod with BG fonts.

Thanks, I just did that. Can you make a screenshot how it looks for you in russian? I can see new fonts on buttons in the main menu, the map, the titles of the items and skills, the description of quests. Did I miss something? The character stats, the settings and some other things are with normal font. In my opinion some of the fonts are not readable enough in this small size, and I don’t like the use of english capital D instead of “Д”.
edit: The text in the description of quests becomes pixelated if I increase the size of the interface.

Check this topic for sceenshots: http://grimdawn.ru/forum/index.php?/topic/1004-lokalizatciia-rusifitcirovannye-shrifty/

New fonts also in help and journal.
Fonts must be most readable for standart interface size.
Also font pixelize becouse it bitmap, not runtime.

Well, thank you for your work. I like the fonts but don’t think they are readable enough in small size, so for now won’t use them.

I’ve got a question about Port Valbury - the name is hard to translate properly without more details. As I have understood, it looks somewhat like “sunk valuable goods” if I got abbreviations correctly. But it would be a strange name for a working port. Some help from Crate is very needed, please :slight_smile: