Damage conversion mechanics

Lads,

I have a few (not so quick or easy) questions, regarding damage conversion mechanics in the game. I could not find the information I have been looking for, at least not satisfactorily.

For the sake of the questions and answers, I will pick random examples rather than in-game ones (so the questions and answers will be more general and mechanics-oriented). Some questions may seem easy to answer, others not so much, feel free to pass if you do not know the answer, I would rather have an “I don’t know” than an incorrect answer.

1. When an item has, say, “10% physical damage converted to cold damage”, what does it apply to (weapon damage, skill damage, WPS damage, etc.)?

2. Does the answer to question 1 change depending on what item holds the bonus? (say, if it is on a weapon, does it change the weapon damage, while if it is on an amulet, it changes skill damage, etc.)

3. How do similar damage conversion stack? For example, if I have 2 of the same ring, and the ring says “10% of chaos damage converted to piercing damage”. Does that mean 20% are converted in total (additive), or does that mean 19% (multiplicative), or even something else (maybe they don’t stack at all?)?

4. Now it gets tricky. If I have an item that converts, say, 100% of physical damage to acid/poison damage on Cadence, as well as a ring that converts 10% of physical damage to chaos, what would be the damage type of Cadence?

5. Same question than 4, but this time, my ring converts 10% of poison damage to chaos?

6. If an item converts 70% of ice damage to aether of Olexa Flash Freeze, and a ring converts 10% of ice damage to aether, would my Olexa Flash Freeze deal 80% of aether damage and 20% ice, or 73% aether and 27% ice (converting 10% of the remaining 30%), or 70% aether, 30% ice (no stacking)?

7. If I have 3 items, one of them converts 40% ice to aether, one converts 40% ice to chaos, one converts 40% ice to acid/poison, what would be the resulting damage on a skill originally dealing 100% ice damage?

8. Same question than 7, but this time the last item converts 40% aether to acid/poison?

9. If I have 2 items, one converts 100% physical damage to chaos on Cadence, the other converts 100% physical damage to vitality on Cadence, what is the resulting damage type?

10. If I have 100% conversion of physical damage to vitality on Cadence, but I also have an item that grants +50% bonus damage to physical damage, does it apply to Cadence before conversion?

11. Same question than 10 but this time the bonus damage applies to vitality?

12. Same question than 10, but instead of 100% conversion of physical damage on Cadence, I have a general 10% conversion?

13. Same question than 11, but with the changes introduced in question 12?

I may have more questions, depending on the answers. Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Did I pass???

1 Like
  1. if does not include any skill in the description, it is global conversion

2. no

3. if conversion is on the same level (recall that there are different conversion priorities) it is additive

4. it will be pure acud/poison since conversions on the skill has higher priority

5. conversion happens only once, so there will be no more conversion on cadence

6. the conversion on the skill occur first, so you will have 30% cold damage left to convert, so the ring that converts 10% cold to aether will only convert 3% of the total olexra cold damage

no because you forgot that on 4. conversion on skill have higher priority.

Aw damn… Same as in question 6, isn’t it? So in question 6 it’s 70% (on skill to OFF) + 10%(30%) (global therefore second in line) = 73%?

Anyway, the right answer should be: “there is no ICE dmg in the game” :wink:

exactly!

haha well he/she might play Grim Dawn in another language and messed up the translation :slight_smile:

Haha!
Well, you know, “cold” sounds a bit underwhelming I believe. When it’s 15°C in my room it’s cold, but not quite deadly, you see. While if someone tells me he is gonna damage my face with ice, that sounds a lot more hazardous to me.

Did my bad faith get me out of it? :stuck_out_tongue:

More seriously though, I play the English version, but English is not my mother tongue. I guess sometimes an error slips in :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for the answers! I am glad I asked, it seems much more difficult than I first thought.

You mentioned priorities, what are the priorities?

here are the priorities listed http://www.grimdawn.com/guide/gameplay/combat.php#q20

Cheers!
I remember that page now, but it’s not always very clear. Thanks to your answers it is a lot more.

EDIT: wait, now I am confused again. If the damage type conversion is due to an item but on a particular skill (question 4 or 6), why does it have a higher priority than another damage conversion from another item? They both come from an item, no? And if the first one is considered a skill mod (with a higher priority), then the damage conversion from the item should never occur, as damage conversion is applied only once? So question 6 should be 70-30, no?

yeah it would be good if they included some more real examples

like if I use the gloves that converts physical damage to chaos on cadance, get the cadance transmuter discord and have “10% physical damage converted to cold damage” on weapon, what will happen then? The answer is that the skill modifier have higher priority than the skill transmuter, so you will get phys>chaos conversion.

Just keep asking if you have more queries, there are no stupid questions only stupid answers LOL

Sorry, I edited my post as you were submitting yours, so you probably didn’t see it:

wait, now I am confused again. If the damage type conversion is due to an item but on a particular skill (question 4 or 6), why does it have a higher priority than another damage conversion from another item? They both come from an item, no? And if the first one is considered a skill mod (with a higher priority), then the damage conversion from the item should never occur, as damage conversion is applied only once? So question 6 should be 70-30, no?

I have no problem asking questions, even stupid ones, so get ready x)

what do you mean why? Because of the priority level:

Skill modifier > Skill transmuter > conversion on gear > passives and buffs

I get that part, but damage conversion occurs only once, no?
So the second one should not be cascading?

If you got full discord modifier then you would have:

100% phys -> elemental - on skill
100% phys -> chaos - on skill
10% phys -> cold - on weapon

and end up with:

50% chaos
50% elemental
0% cold from weapon

It’s confusing the way it is written since they have included bonus orders together with conversion orders, but it actually works like this:

Base Skill % BONUSES > Skill Modifiers % BONUSES > Conversion on the Skill or Transmuter (All skill conversions so the gloves + discord are together here) > Conversion on Equipment and Buffs (All other/global conversions) > Equipment, Auras and Passives % BONUSES

So to sum it up:
Base Skill Bonus > Skill Modifiers Bonus > Skill conversion > Non-skill conversion > Non-skill bonus

This isn’t correct actually. Skill modifier conversion and transmuter conversion are a part of the same step so you’d end up with 50% Chaos/50% Elemental on Cadence. I found this out here.

Ok thanks! I guess one can always learn more about conversions even with 850 hours in the game LOL

could we have an example of something that has “Skill Modifiers % BONUSES” (the second step in the conversion hierarchy)

I assume that just pertains to bonuses like the % Aether damage on Disintegration (modifier for Albrecht’s Aether Ray).

If you were to transmute Aether Ray over to Chaos, this % Aether bonus should still count towards your Chaos damage (additive) because it comes before transmuter-level conversion.

Fighting Form’s +**% physical Damage is an example. The damage would be modified by it before being converted to chaos and elemental.

Deadly momentum’s +**% physical Damage would be an example of the last phase since is a passive while active. It would not modify the physical damage of Cadence since conversion would happen first.

So let’s do the chaos cadance thingy again. Assuming one wears the gloves that converts all physical to chaos on cadance and +900% chaos damage on gear and devotions etc. We also have 12/12 fightning form that gives +112% physical dmg to cadance.

If cadance deals 1000 physical damage at base, with figitning spirit, conversion and the +900% chaos damage we will get:

1000*(1 + 1.12 + 9) = 11.1k chaos dmg?

Yes, assuming no discord.