Degrade loot on softcore death

My suggestion is to reduce the quality or quantity of loot dropped by monsters and chests in some radius around player’s grave. Every death would degrade it further so that after ~10 deaths it would be next to nothing.
There would have to be some tutorial hint for players about this mechanic, so that they wouldn’t be confused about getting no loot (some will always be, I know).
I think this could incentivise players to stay alive more. Coming from Diablo 2 I was surprised how little consequence there is to dying. I’m fine with dungeons - losing the key and all progress is bad enough. Health restoration for bosses is also sometimes enough to make victory impossible (looking at you, Rashalga). But in other places death only adds a few minutes to gameplay and rewards are high anyway.

1 Like

Answer would probably be to just play HC if you want more consequences.
Dying in SC indeed has very few consequences, but in the endgame it starts to matter more since dying there locks you out of rewards sometimes.

At this point I doubt the devs would consider a system like that.

2 Likes

Dying is its own consequence.

I find feedback such as this odd. Why are players so keen on punishment for failure? Rubbing salt in a wound doesn’t strike me as being very good design.

6 Likes

it pushes ppl to git gud

:-1: from me.

Seems weird that loot around you disappears/degrades when you die.
I think a more ‘realistic’ semi-hardcore mode would be that you lose one random item you’re wearing and 1 level.
Personally I vote :-1: since I play this game to chill out.
<Zantai acquiesce non-starter meme>

No /10char

Just don’t pick up the loot if you want the “getting your balls crushed with a brick” experience.

3 Likes

For me it would be a :-1: … But is it just me or have people forgot that on SC that you lose xp as well on death? Why would you want loot decreased as well? Seems silly to me. I say as mentioned above, play HC if you want harsh punishments!

1 Like

I am against that, also, apart from some bosses you do not die in the same spot twice, so degredation is never cumulative - unless you degrade the future loot drops from the boss rather than what has already dropped at the time of your death (not sure which of the two options you meant)

1 Like

I am with the majority of personal opinions that disagree with the idea.

The reason is simple - SC is soft core. A game that distracts casual players - which exist that cannot afford to spend a second life in a game, for me, has no impact on the difficulty in this context.

If at all, let players have this in ability in the game options.

2 Likes

You lose exp and bosses regenerate health after dying. Is this not punishing enough?
What a pointless mechanic…
EDIT: In Diablo 2 you lost 5% of exp, or 10%. You could restart the game so no need to finding the corpse. It was annoying and stupid, but Diablo 2 is klassik so I guess it was perfect in every way, uhh…

2 Likes

Dying in this game is fine. The deep shame I amass in my soul as the death count of my characters goes up and up is punishment enough.

4 Likes

Play HC. Problem solved.

1 Like

I play games to chill out and have a bit of peace from IRL problems, not to stress myself further.

I don’t get why some people thinks that adding mechanics that makes playing the game a shore = “hardcore”

Wanna have some extra challenge? Play the game using white/yellow gear only, then show us how “gud” you are, instead of relying on GDstash (this last sentence is not aimed at the OP, but it’s more of a general statement).

3 Likes

I already feel degraded enough from Elsa’s lack of feelings towards me, I don’t need my loot degraded too…

6 Likes

In forum it’s not common to see users named after NPC’s and you select Mornay, I mean why? :smile:

Oh and :-1: from me but OP shouldn’t be discouraged.

1 Like

Well. Dunno if I’d go that far. I think most of us by now know what types of ideas Crate AKA Zantai might be amenable to and this one rather strikes me as one of those things that would hit the slim-to-none list.

Buuut, Crate has changed course before. The bad news for this one is that they’ve really only ever changed course on controversial/popular topics. And only after much time had passed. They aren’t ones to rush usually.

I think it’s worth mentioning that repeated deaths on Elite/Ult can end being pretty brutal to your XP. We do on occasion see rage posts by people spitting fire about dying repeatedly and being unable to level up. So, for some people the punishment is apparently severe. Imagine how much more pissed such people would be if not only could they not level up but they also were getting zero loot?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.