Detect which character is chosen

I am working on a tool for Grim Dawn and I would like to detect what character a player has chosen. Ideally, I would like to be able to detect this as soon as they click the character from the main menu.

Alternatively, if there is a way to tell which player was chosen right after they have clicked Start that would work as well.

Is there a file I can read that stores the chosen character name or id as soon as it is clicked? Or even a specific character file I can read its access time from to tell if that was the chosen character?

I did some access time comparisons on the player.gdc files and they are not a reliable indicator of the character currently in use.

I have this program [Tool] GDHacker - {Tribute, Exp} Freeze / Game Speed / DPS window toggle from within the game
I could most probably make it read the current character from the process.
Would this work for you?

I believe it would, but first I’ll tell you the goal of my tool, because you may know a better method of accomplishing it. My tool allows the player to save specific teleport locations located in the Grim Internals teleport locations file to the specific character they are playing.

A gui I’m making then allows the player to transfer, delete, and modify these locations between their characters. It does more than that, like further categorization of the locations, but thats it in a nutshell. Here’s the source code: https://github.com/recursiveg87/Grim-Locations

The issue is that the Grim Internals teleport locations file is read as soon as the player enters the game world. Before that the gdc files for all the characters are read, no matter which character was chosen (where in lies the problem). If only one gdc was read I’d be able to detect the read and know to replace the teleport locations file with the one specific to the character in the brief 1-2 second window before the locations file is read.

A more ideal situation would be to know which character was chosen on the main screen right after they choose it. Is your tool able to detect that or do you know of a better way to go about what I’m trying to accomplish?