Does damage conversion apply to devotions?

Not only you’re late but also incorrect. Not sure where did you get this :wink:
Do you mean devotions only?

1 Like

Show me where it says it converts the DOT as well… I have not found that to be the case. The elemental damage type and the DOT type are separate damages and calculated completely differently by the game. It will also not change effects that “seemingly” go along with a certain type. So say a skill does Freeze damage, and it was converted to fire. It will still do Freeze damage regardless of the conversion. Let me know if you have info that contradicts mine with a verifiable source. Otherwise, I stand by what I said and NO not just devotions only.

Conversion and Resistance Reduction do affect the DoT, for some reason it’s omitted in the game guide but it’s the case. Freeze is not a damage type, it’s a status effect.

1 Like

Source? and yes I know its a status effect, thats what I meant and said.

This is so basic that I don’t know where to start. First of all there’s damage breakdown for your skills. If you have conversion the appropriate damage will disappear completely. Let me make you some screenshots for you.

Itemization in this game is based on converting dots. For example there are many skills with only DOTs of a particular damage type that have converting skill modifiers to them to another damage type. Do you think they would exist if dot was not converted? They would make no sense.

1 Like

Then why do you mention it when talking about conversion since it’s irrelevant ?
Nah where’s your source cause you’re making a wild claim about something easily tested.

1 Like

Ok, how do I explain this. Lets take the arcanist mastery for example. It has IEE to boost elemental damage and add base elemental damage. If boosting the elemental damage also boosted the DOT’s there would be no need to add Overload and Elemental Balance, as boosting one would boost the others by your logic. Making the aura buffs redundant. They arent, thats why they are there.

Also, Items with elemental types of damage, sometimes (not always) also include DOT damage. If they boost or convert at the same time, that denotation would also be redundant… same goes for skills that do the same.

You may need some sleep because you don’t make any sense. The original topic was conversion, then you went about CC status then about %damage for elemental damage. What the fuck is going on

3 Likes

Here you are.

2 Likes

Vitality Decay on Drain Essence gets fully converted to Internal Trauma by the belt.
(the absolute values may differ due too different

• %Physical Damage
  • %Vitality Decay bonuses
  • Cunning which influences Internal Trauma
  • Spirit which influences Vitality Decay

It isnt irrelevant, as cold damage sometimes does freeze either via a skill or piece of gear. It will still do that, even if you convert the damage type. Thats the point.

Yes because it’s not damage thus is not affected by damage conversion. Also it’d need a fire equivalent to freeze which doesn’t exist.

Yest boosting one boosts other. I don’t a problem with that. This is normal.

I also don’t see why this is a problem here.

Nevertheless you can see in the screenshots I provided or search in the forums you’ll find dozens of confirmation posts that dots are converted.

I have never seen the DOT ever get changed. Thats a first. I stand corrected. Maybe its something they changed in one of the updates or Xpacs. I have 4K hours with the game and havent seen that till now. I will say as an aside though. Tooltips LIE. I will have to check Grim Intenals logs and verify, but if thats true now, then it completely changes some builds for me.

I’ve found ultimate proof - quotation from :zantai:

“Fixed an issue with Beronath, Reforged’s Elemental to Physical conversion not applying to Elemental dots (Burn, Frostburn, Electrocute).”

This is from 3 years ago.

1 Like

Yep, thanks for the link. As I said, I stand corrected. Maybe it wasnt converting at some point in the past and it got changed. I unfortunately still believed it hadnt changed. I have been playing a lot longer than three years… :wink:

No problem. I can see it being misleading since the conversion
Fire -> Lightning
does not suggest the dots are converted.

And also stuff like Fire to Aether (here the dot doesn’t disappear but I remember there was some wierd thing with multiple conversion to dots when the sum of %'s exceeded 100% if I remember correctly but don’t remember the details).

Anyone remember if the stuff in bold below is still a thing / was a thing?
I think that for Dots 100% Fire to Aether and 100% Fire to Lightning might leave you with just 50% Electrocute because Aether dot doesn’t exist wheras it should leave you with 100% Electrocute. With Flat there’s no problem - 50% Lightning 50% Aether
Because conversions formulas are the same for flat and dots?

In other words conversion to non-DOT type lowers your DOT if the sum of all conversions exceeds 100%

Or the double buff you mentioned above.

I mean I once assumes/get an impression DoTS are not converted, his/her mind can find some things that might confirm their belief.

There is a very useful thread about conversions:

Still trying to figure out what the hell Freeze Damage is. Im guessing this is just a mistype and whats actually meant is Frostburn damage?