Does retaliation affected by your oa and enemy da?

Does retaliation or reflect affected by your oa and enemy da?

Nope. It cannot miss and cannot crit.

Then 1400 oa for my warder will be enough, thx =)

Edit: What about bonus damage to race stat?

Don’t really know for sure. My gut feeling is that it wouldn’t. +<Flat> Damage to <Race> definitely wouldn’t have any effect, but I’m unsure of +% Damage to <Race>.

Last question; Does very high DA(meaning they will miss) cause not to retaliate? If they miss attack, will it retaliate or not? I wonder because my warder will aim for 2600 da, depending on situation i will decrease it 2200.

Nope, Retaliation will always trigger on almost any melee attack. The only time when it won’t is if the target Fumbles an attack (via % Chance to Fumble Attacks on, say, Flashbang’s Searing Light). Dodge (from % Chance to Avoid Attacks), avoidance from DA, blocking with a shield, etc. - these will all trigger Retaliation.

Thanks for all answers.

Whilst this is true. I have a “Burn” retaliation build and the retaliation stacks with burn dots applied by the character. If you score a crit with BWC for example and the enemy then attacks you it will stack.

Quick vid vs Cronley

I tried two retaliation builds - one with a 1-h + shield (commando) and the other with a 2-h (warder)

I did have the impression that the commando took much longer to kill - which then may be caused by Flashbang’s Searing Light.

Thanks for pointing this out - I’ll try the build w/o Flashbangs.

Nope, Retaliation will always trigger on almost any melee attack. The only time when it won’t is if the target Fumbles an attack (via % Chance to Fumble Attacks on, say, Flashbang’s Searing Light). Dodge (from % Chance to Avoid Attacks), avoidance from DA, blocking with a shield, etc. - these will all trigger Retaliation.

Wrong. Don’t misinform people. If your DA is too high and foe miss in close combat then he avoid retaliation damage. Don’t miss Retailation and Reflect - this is different types to trigger damage.

I thought this too. This way it makes sense. Somebody please confirm.

Confirm :smiley:

I thought this too. This way it makes sense. Somebody please confirm.

I played retal build so i know this kind of thingy well. So i confirm. 2300-2350 DA is optimal for good chance foes to hit you and not get a crit from them.

Thanks for answers.

So for an optimal retalition build, we want every enemy to be able to hit but not crit.
2250-2350 loks good.

I also noticed with my retaliation build that when enemies launch a melee attack, I would often not hit them with retaliation damage. I use a hybrid Dawnbreaker/Dawnguard with just shy of 100k lightning retaliation, so it’s very easy to test on act 1 zombies, for example.

I had assumed that since I have different types of retaliation, not all would take effect on one single retaliation strike, but it appears that my high DA is the culprit based on some feedback here. I’ll have to do a bit more testing on my own.

Edit: Yepper, I just tested this and can confirm 100% that retaliation does not strike enemies which don’t hit you due to DA. One interesting thing I found out, however, is that item procs which use a “chance when hit” trigger do actually trigger even if the enemy doesn’t actually make contact due to high DA.

as last stream said; except miss everything triggers retaliation

Que? ? ?

so do ranged, elemental, physical, bleed, aether, basically every kind of attack get retaliated?

currently levelling my first retaliation character. :slight_smile:

Then that’s a bug and should be reported as such. I was just forwarding information from the devs.

DA vs OA would constitute a miss.

Don’t remember what I said exactly, but I believe I said a Miss will not trigger Retaliation.

A block would.