[DW melee] Beginner's Virulent Dervish

Hi @Stupid_Dragon
First I wanted to thank you for the build, it is very detailed and very easy to follow.
I just finished killing the Warden at level 22.

I have a question about the components, I got a drop for a Mark of the Dreeg. But I’m not sure if the active skill it provides is worth over getting 2 Vitriolic Gallstones (I already have one).

Other than that, just wondering if the farming in FG is still the way to go at my level?

Thanks for your reply.

Honestly it didn’t cross my mind to try it on Dervish. The skill doesn’t improve AoE much if that’s what you’re after. If anything, that flat resistance reduction on component is more enticing if you’re heading into Forgotten Gods, since some enemies there are crazy resistant to poison otherwise. But if you have weapon with Plaguebearer affix it becomes irrelevant too, since only highest of this kind of RR applies.

It isn’t that important, but having MIs mentioned in the guide greatly simplify things. But I’d get some more levels till Night’s Chill is maxed.

1 Like

Thank you.
Yeah, the plan is to get to 25-26 bfore starting FG,as you mentioned in the guide.

When you say farm SR for the 92 blueprints in normal, do you mean go from 25 to 30, or from 1 to either 25 or 30? I’m no that familiarized with how the loot works on SR.

From 25 to 26 or from 30 to 31. The way SR works is it’s most profitable to complete two shards. Completing more in one go does improve the loot a bit, but it’s questionable with efficient farming in mind.

Oh wow, that’s way better lol. If I can do higher, should I do them? 40-41 for example. Or is 25-30 the sweet spot?

Thanks for the fast reply :slight_smile:

If you can do higher then just do higher. I was able to finish even 60-61 on normal once, but since I play HC I just consider the 25-30 range much safer and trivial for this kind of gear.

1 Like

Hi, I have a question about the end game items, specifically the weapons. Is there much difference in gameplay between Venomblade, Misery and Mad Queen Claw? I read on a reddit post that Gannar’vakar stinger of alacrity with good acid prefix + MQC is the best comination for auto-attack dervish, would you agree with that assesment?

Honestly I have no idea. I don’t really play full slotted builds anymore. Had been this way long before this Dervish was posted.

If you want to focus on AA, I tried both Misery and Misery + MQC, if you invest on wps MQC+Something will surely better, even dual MQC works but hat kind of investment steals points from lethal assault; so dual Misery provides a lot of points, might be better. Since I don’t like ABB, MQC was better for me.

I’ll probably just go 2 Misery, and see how it goes. That +1 to both classes looks too good to pass up and I already have the items, while I would have to farm the claw.

I think when I first tried Grim Dawn many years ago I built some kind of variant of this build. The guide was very popular at the time.

Honestly, shadow striking into a pack of mobs and then blowing them all up with a single tainted eruption abomination proc was one of the most satisfying things I have ever done in an ARPG.

Having come back to the game a month or so ago I’m really looking forward to trying this out and seeing if it still fells the same. From what I recall it had significant single target issues; I basically hit shadowstrike and then ran around for 5 seconds before it was up again!!! Looking forward to playing something a bit smoother than that iteration of the build was but hopefully keeping the bits I really liked about the old build.

TY very much for the time and effort you put into the guide Stupid_Dragon. I really appreciate this kind of “starter build” variant as it’s something I can just follow and not be super worried about requiring various pieces to drop to even make the build function.

1 Like

Just hit lvl 84 and onto Act 2 of Ultimate. Deathless so far!

Build plays really nicely. Shadowstriking into a group of enemies and then hitting your Ring of Steel to proc Tainted Eruption is just as satisfying as I remember; even if we used to use the Mark of Dreeg component instead. I am a little sad that they have changed the Tainted Eruption visuals. I really liked the old one which was more of a deep green with an undulating wave effect. New one is a bit too fast for my liking but does provide better visibility.

Anyway, I’m hoping to get 2 Misery’s like the post a couple above this one mentions and at least part of a set (ie: 3+ pieces). I have a couple of other characters I am currently playing so may focus on them for while and return to this one if I find some really cool gear for him or if I just fancy a bit more poison based shennagians.

Build still seems super strong though with little gear requirements that can’t be easily acquired or target farmable. And despite a low health pool compared to other classes I have played it feels reasonably tanky due to the amount of ADctH it gets with a smooth playstlye.

1 Like

So I have been following this guide since its my first time playing this game… and im stumped as to how to dual wield without the dual blades skill. Im level 27, been using a 2h epic axe I got early on until now. I just got the 2 Gannar’vakars stings, but I cant equip two. None of the snapshots in the leveling part show dual blades talent, and it doesnt say to take it while leveling… but all the snapshots show the char dual wielding without dual blades taken as well… Googling is not helping, only saying there is a medal and other gear that allows it without the ability taken, but I dont see any in the snapshots shown… any pointers?

There’s another skill that also allows dual wielding - Pneumatic burst transmuter.

Or simply put a point in Dual Blades… But Dual Wield is much better than 2H.

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

As Nery pointed out Pneumatic Burst’s transmuter grants dual wield. Also you’re not yet high enough to do this:

" Levels 36-50

If you were playing on Veteran then good news for you – here’s the spot when absurd scaling breaks down and the game becomes more manageable.

Remove all but one point from Amarasta’s Blade Burst, invest 1 point into Dual Blades, Belgothian’s Shears, Amarasta’s Quick Cut, Nidalla’s Hidden Hand and Whirling Death, and the rest goes into Righteous Fervor."

1 Like

Yep, looks like that is the thing. All the snapshots have it, but the detailed guide as to where you put your points during leveling doesnt have that listed to take!

1 Like

Thank you for the great build Stupid Dragon!

I just completed veteran HC with it as a first SSF hardcore character. Your leveling suggestions helped a lot.

I’m looking forward to try out some of your other builds :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Thank you for this fun and destructive build. I’m just coming back go Grim Dawn after more than a year break and wanted something new and fun to play so I could re-learn everything. I’m currently at level 66 with 50 of 55 Devotion points unlocked.

Anyway, I’m quite confused by the Devotions section. I just got to the point where I was told to remove Akeron’s Scorpion, but after I did that I went looking at the Grim Tools you referenced in Leveling. All three for level 50, 65, and 75 still have it. Was I supposed to take it away at some point and put it back? Right before this the guide also said to add Raven and I don’t see that either.

What I am asking is do I follow the Devotions section of your guide or do I go by what’s on your level 75 Grim Tools link here: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YVWGLMLV

Thank you, you are awesome!

1 Like

Both variants are viable. The one in the GT link is for extra safety on HC during levelling while the one in Devotion section is more damage. I’ve been meaning to respec to the one in the devotion section but then decided it’s fine as is.

You’re welcome.

1 Like