Every crashing , it is not good 1.1.9.7

Crashing on the every game , when playing Grim Dawn and Shattered realms , bug report.

Logs :
387defb0-7897-4b11-9ff0-d5a33ad44292.zip (1.7 MB)

Unfortunately for me I am also after coming back after some years having massive issues with crashes. I’ve launched the game from Steam with all 3 available options, but for both single-player and multi-player it crashes very soon after playing (although the DX9 launch option took quite a bit longer).

My entire machine hard locks and the only thing I can do is hard power off, so logs aren’t very useful, only thing in there is some network warnings:

45837: Packet (AllPlayersBasicInfoPacket) exceeds MTU of 1400. Fragmenting into 2 fragments.
45838: Packet (AllPlayersBasicInfoPacket) exceeds MTU of 1400. Fragmenting into 2 fragments.
46202: Packet (AllPlayersBasicInfoPacket) exceeds MTU of 1400. Fragmenting into 2 fragments.
46203: Packet (AllPlayersBasicInfoPacket) exceeds MTU of 1400. Fragmenting into 2 fragments.
46284: Connection 702746680: Resending transmit packets 12116 to 12121
46568: Packet (AllPlayersBasicInfoPacket) exceeds MTU of 1400. Fragmenting into 2 fragments.
46569: Packet (AllPlayersBasicInfoPacket) exceeds MTU of 1400. Fragmenting into 2 fragments.
46937: Connection 702746680: Resending transmit packets 13019 to 13021

But this was happening in singe-player as well. This is just playing with a new character (although shared stash exists with things in it from years ago).

DxDiag.txt (144.5 KB)

I’ve attached my dxdiag for reference.

First steps are always to verify game files and to update drivers.

You should probably wipe out your grim dawn folder (C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\my games\Grim Dawn) for a clean start and ensure no files in there are causing your issues.

Did a full uninstall and reinstall. I’ll try with a fresh saves folder next and report back. All drivers are already up to date.

Unfortunately even after completely blowing away the settings and save folders to make sure there were no left over artifacts it still hard locked my entire machine after about 10 minutes.

1 Like

There’s nothing in the Windows Event Viewer that matches the timestamps of the hard-crashes? There has to be something generated that will give you a clue as to what’s failing. My guess tho is it sounds like a dying PSU.

Nope already had checked there and no entries. I mean possible, but this is only a couple years or so old and a laptop so not likely, I can play much more intensive games for hours without any issue (Wild Hearts for example, which is known to have performance problems for most people, but runs just fine). Titan Quest which is a fairly similar engine, granted much older now doesn’t cause it either.

Outside of Zantai’s recommendation of repairing game files and deleting your my docs/GD directory entirely -

I’d uninstall your current video card driver, then run DDU in safe mode, reboot regular, & lastly install the Nvidia 528.24 WHQL driver (super-stable for me in GD and yes, it supports mobile GPU’s like the 2080 in your laptop)

Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU): Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.6.1

Nvidia 528.24: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-528-24-whql-driver-download.html

• If that doesn’t work, next I’d go to your laptop’s official website and look for new/updated sound card and NIC drivers

Barring all that, since you don’t have issues in other games… I mean, you could check CPU/GPU temps via HWinfo64 to make sure there isn’t a heat related issue.

But, if none of that works. Maybe you’ve just got a weird Window’s quirk and you might need to format.

… That’s all I got

Then in that case maybe check temperatures, ram usage etc. Hard crashes are almost always gunna be driver or hardware related.

Though I run on Linux through Proton, I’ve found GD is crashing a bit more lately. Seems to happen most often when going between rift portals. I just get a black screen with the cursor and have to force kill the game. Definitely not temperatures. I have repaired game files and drivers are up to date (AMD).

I’m still to try a completely fresh profile, so I’ll give that a go.

Yeah did a clean install of video drivers, unfortunately after throwing on Core Temp and running that with the game it’s definitely a temperature issue causing the hard lockups, strange since normally (at least with Intel) that would cause a shutdown in the past on machines.

I WAS able to more or less fix the issue (limited options being a laptop) by setting the max processor power state to 70% for power profile. No noticeable difference in machine power, but no more temp issues either.

2 Likes

Assuming your laptop has multiple video cards and none have been disabled in the BIOS, try using the Windows Graphics utility to find the game (GD), and specify the graphic’s card you want.

See if that helps.

Good afternoon, unfortunately, it is on the side of the game engine is the culprit Grim Dawn, I caught you report, take it - for troubleshooting. I, did a verification, I have with the driver and dxdiag fine, only a problem in the game platforms, namely your game engine - constantly flies out of a skill well and movement.

Пиши по-русски, чтоб хоть кто-то тебя понял. Или ты просто тролль?

Not a single crash here in 350h of gameplay.
If it behaves the same with other games, the temperature issue remembers me a similar bug I have with my Nvidia card. I have to underclock it slightly with MSI Afterburner (-200Mhz for both core and memory clocks and 81°C max for the temp) else it’s a crash when it starts to heat.
Just for information.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.